Graphene vs Silicon

maazster

Why is graphene the future? What advantages does it have against Silicon and also what are the disadvantages of Graphene compared to Silicon.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Graphene has a cacophony of different uses. I don't know the specifics about its advantages, but the main disadvantages have been on the manufacturing end, and trying to apply it to make a practical product, like a CPU.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

The electrical resistance of graphene is waaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than that of silicone, close to that of a superconducter. And were reaching the smallest phisical size that a transistor can reach.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

The electrical resistance of graphene is waaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than that of silicone, close to that of a superconducter. And were reaching the smallest phisical size that a transistor can reach.

So graphene transistors can be made on a smaller lithography process?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

So graphene transistors can be made on a smaller lithography process?

Different process and it is all theoretical at this stage, as no one has made one yet.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Different process and it is all theoretical at this stage, as no one has made one yet.

Why, if it's there, why has no one made one?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why, if it's there, why has no one made one?

Actually, IBM made one a while back but it didn't work out so well.

the main problem with graphene is that it is not a natural semi conductor. Along with there being no cost effective way yet of manufacturing graphene transistors.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Cannot say i have ever tried me silicon breasts.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Researchers have calculated that by stacking six layers – three graphene layers and three layers of molybdenum disulfide – performance could theoretically reach 10%… for a thickness of only 3 nanometers. Unprecedented energy efficiency! Should such a minute graphene solar cell get to be manufactured on an industrial scale, it would beat all records in terms of power density. It is nevertheless true that at this stage, such a revolutionary cell remains purely theoretical: it has not even been tested in the laboratory.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I do believe that graphene is a superior material, but it's just been too damn hard to produce it in the correct form and on a large production scale. Although now we have had a breakthrough on the production side meaning that soon enough it'll be implemented far more readily, something about using a kitchen blender or something similar, I just remember it being really a really strange discovery.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Why is graphene the future? What advantages does it have against Silicon and also what are the disadvantages of Graphene compared to Silicon.

We are rapidly approaching the theoretical limit of silicon dies. Skylane will be using a die size of 14nm, take the time to consider how tiny that is. There are 10,000,000 nanometers in a single centimeter, the manufacturing process on that small of a level is becoming exponentially more and more expensive. Graphene on the other hand is naturally manufactured on the atomic level, at a thickness of just a single atom. Meaning that it's produced at a size that is smaller than it's application process, the complete opposite of silicon applications. That manufacturing process for graphene is also extremely expensive, but there is a massive amount of work being done to reduce the production cost and increase production volumes.

With graphene, they will be able to produce smaller CPUs that are both more powerful in terms of performance and require less electrical energy in order to operate. When you reduce the amount of electrical energy required, you also by default reduce the amount of waste heat produced by the CPU. For small form factor applications, like tablets and cellphones, that means even smaller and/or thinner devices that have more computing power, but they will use less battery life and will not have to worry about overheating. In a large form factor, like a PC, CPUs and GPUs will be able to offer massive gains in terms of performance, but require less cooling than current offerings.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Cannot say i have ever tried me silicon breasts.

You mean Silicone?

You mean Silicone?

Damnnit TMI makes no difference to me mang :P

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert