Thoughts on exclusive games?

BallGum

I had 62 people shouting at me for saying that exclusives are anti consumer, with some claiming a lack of exclusives would result in three consoles that are exactly the same.

I disagree though. Consoles have reached a point where they're entertainment boxes, so surely they can innovate on the hardware front?

I mean, if this suddenly cams into effect right now, and every exclusive came to every console, it's understandable what would happen (the PS4 would probably decimate everything else), however, consider a new console generation where each company wasn't allowed to produce exclusives (hypothetically).

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

they are pointless TBH. i mean any 3rd paprty game that is remotly good will tend to be multiplat unless sony/MS are illing to drop some huge money on

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Where did you found this 62 people? I suggest you stop frequenting that place, immediately.

Also, to quote Jay and Silent Bob strike back: Fuck exclusives, fuck them up their stupid asses.

-------

Current Rig

-------

thing is, there is barely any good exclusives anymore except the nintendo games, all the others comes to PC due to the huge market there is, they would lose out on tons of money if they didnt

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

There are so many grammatical errors in this thread, good grief.

Just wanted to point that out.

But anyways, I have no idea what you mean by "I disagree though. Consoles have reached a point where they're entertainment boxes, so surely they can innovate on the hardware front?" because that has no correlation with what you said before that, which is throwing me off. I don't know what your point is, but I do agree with those 62 people who were supposedly shouting at you. Yes, exclusives are anti-consumer. Whenever the consumer doesn't have a choice but to buy a specific system (console-wise) to play a specific game, that's taking away from the consumer because if they own an Xbox, they'll have to buy a PlayStation if they want to play a PlayStation exclusive game bad enough. The logic behind exclusives is to bring sales up with the consoles, so they know they're forcing you to buy a specific console. When I was a peasant, I bought an Xbox just so I could play Halo 2, and only for that purpose.

Every game should just be put on PC first, then ported over to consoles. Developers need to realize who the master race is.

Exclusives drive hardware sales and platform adoption. Love them, hate them, they will never go away. Also, some developers simply have a prefered platform, as is their right. There is no sense in people flipping out over their existence. Same goes with the people who constantly cry and complain about non-Valve games that are not offered via STEAM. The days of nearly every PC game being offered via STEAM are over. It makes no sense for EA, or any other publisher or developer, to give up a portion of every sale to a rival company and to allow that rival company to dictate other terms of selling that game. Sure there may be a few people who will claim that they won't buy a certain game because it's not offered via STEAM, but to date that has not hurt the over all sales of a single game.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Exclusive titles make most people choose between what system they buy. I don't think it's good for the game devs. They would make more money if they released across all platforms.

PlayStation has so many good games, that would be great sellers on PC. Xbox not so much...

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

PC and Playstation have the best exclusives imo. Xbox... not so much. I did here that Fallout 4 might be an XBone exclusive though :/

Life.exe is missing

There are so many grammatical errors in this thread, good grief.

Just wanted to point that out.

But anyways, I have no idea what you mean by "I disagree though. Consoles have reached a point where they're entertainment boxes, so surely they can innovate on the hardware front?" because that has no correlation with what you said before that, which is throwing me off. I don't know what your point is, but I do agree with those 62 people who were supposedly shouting at you. Yes, exclusives are anti-consumer. Whenever the consumer doesn't have a choice but to buy a specific system (console-wise) to play a specific game, that's taking away from the consumer because if they own an Xbox, they'll have to buy a PlayStation if they want to play a PlayStation exclusive game bad enough. The logic behind exclusives is to bring sales up with the consoles, so they know they're forcing you to buy a specific console. When I was a peasant, I bought an Xbox just so I could play Halo 2, and only for that purpose.

Every game should just be put on PC first, then ported over to consoles. Developers need to realize who the master race is.

Here's how I see it. Exclusives are made primarily to persuade someone to buy an Xbox over a PlayStation, as the case may be.

Since console do more than just gaming, I would have expected them to innovate in terms of the online experience, or just by bringing out the superior hardware.

Features such as uploading videos to YouTube straight from within a game, for example.

Exclusives are anti consumer, you agree with that, therefore you disagree with those 62 people who thought exclusives were good for the consumer.

Where did you found this 62 people? I suggest you stop frequenting that place, immediately.

Also, to quote Jay and Silent Bob strike back: Fuck exclusives, fuck them up their stupid asses.

I generally share my articles with N4G, but I'm realising more and more that the place is populated by the age group 12 - 17.

I mean, even at that age I loved just sitting down and playing halo multiplayer, and having fanboy arguments over halo vs KZ, but you realise how pointless it is.

They aren't good for the developer nor gamers.
They reduce the software sales of the game.
I bet The Last Of Us would've sold 3x as much if it would've released on more platforms.

RTX2070OC 

They aren't good for the developer nor gamers.

They reduce the software sales of the game.

I bet The Last Of Us would've sold 3x as much if it would've released on more platforms.

Games may sell more if released on more platforms, but developers are paid a crap ton of money to compensate for that. For new titles, that money is often needed to help finance the game in the first place. What the developer gets from a publisher may not be enough for the developer to do everything they want with a title. That's why we see some titles become non-exclusive later on, either with the sequels and/or the game being re released on a competing platform. The Metal Gear series is a good example of this. Sony had an exclusive contract locked down with Hideo Kojima, but some of the Metal Gear games eventually got released on Xbox or PC. And with MGS 5 it will be released on XBox One and PS4 at the same time. The sales on the PS3 ended up not being sufficient to make up for the loss of sales from the 360, so Hideo Kojima did not renew that exclusive contract. He needed the funding earlier in the series, but not any more.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

PC and Playstation have the best exclusives imo. Xbox... not so much. I did here that Fallout 4 might be an XBone exclusive though :/

That is a completely false rumour circulated by people who have no clue. probably Xbox fanboys. There has been no substantial proof apart from random forum posts

Here's how I see it. Exclusives are made primarily to persuade someone to buy an Xbox over a PlayStation, as the case may be.

Since console do more than just gaming, I would have expected them to innovate in terms of the online experience, or just by bringing out the superior hardware.

Features such as uploading videos to YouTube straight from within a game, for example.

Exclusives are anti consumer, you agree with that, therefore you disagree with those 62 people who thought exclusives were good for the consumer.

I misread the part where you said "I had 62 people shouting at me for saying that exclusives are anti consumer". My fault.