DIY G-sync mod kit

Hello

I'm reviewing the g-sync mod kit after installation and how I think it performs. Since NVIDEA released an installation video I'm not gonna say too much about that as you can watch it for yourself and jugde wether you think it's easy/hard or whatever. 

I thought it was straight forward though. Oh yea, one of the brackets you'll need to make stick to the monitor yourself, which I thought was quite weird given it(the manual) went over it and yet didn't give any suggestions as to how you would do that.

When I turned on the screen I got monitor whine, which I didn't notice at first because it emits from the top/sides of the monitor. However, it seems as it has vanished for some reason, so it might have been nothing of interrest. But had it gone on, I would have switched back to the old panel.

Additionally you'll loose the speakers and panel menu of the monitor, which I also thought was quite a bummer. (I didn't realize this before I sat with it)

I think it's quite expensive for what it is, a seemingly unpolished product. It almost feels more like a courtesy from NVIDEA to let one have the mod kit, rather than an actual product, which it also just might be.

But it does what it's supposed to.

And how does it game? Do you feel like games are smoother or is the difference negligible?

The reason I never grabbed the G-sync kit for my VG248qe is that, being a 144hz monitor, games are already so smooth and fluid that I didn't feel like this would make a big enough difference to justify the cost.. Since I have a 780, I can run pretty much damn near everything at over 100 FPS at 1080p anyway, and I felt that G-sync could only really help in situations where the framerate might dip into the 40s or so..

So I want to know, since you have a 780TI, is there any improvement to how games feel at >100 FPS, or is it better off for people with high-end rigs to wait until a 1440p or 4K G-sync (where we will run at <60) monitor becomes available?

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Nvidia....Nvidia...Nvidia

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

And how does it game? Do you feel like games are smoother or is the difference negligible?

The reason I never grabbed the G-sync kit for my VG248qe is that, being a 144hz monitor, games are already so smooth and fluid that I didn't feel like this would make a big enough difference to justify the cost.. Since I have a 780, I can run pretty much damn near everything at over 100 FPS at 1080p anyway, and I felt that G-sync could only really help in situations where the framerate might dip into the 40s or so..

So I want to know, since you have a 780TI, is there any improvement to how games feel at >100 FPS, or is it better off for people with high-end rigs to wait until a 1440p or 4K G-sync (where we will run at <60) monitor becomes available?

To be honest, I really wouldn't recommend it unless you're really excited about this new technology. I have tested this with D3 and it does perform good, I had some screen tearing before and that is gone now. However I think there are some compliance issues. When playing LoL I got some frequent 1 millisecond black frames. Which then disappeared when I uncapped the frame rate(which seems logical enough). There might be more stuff like this(and worse) that I just haven't run into yet, so it's a bit risky.

But I don't think the performance you get is equivalent to the price including the things you'll lose in the process. It doesn't quite add up.

My bare opinion on overall performance, I hardly notice the difference (except very specific situations).

To be honest, I really wouldn't recommend it unless you're really excited about this new technology. I have tested this with D3 and it does perform good, I had some screen tearing before and that is gone now. However I think there are some compliance issues. When playing LoL I got some frequent 1 millisecond black frames. Which then disappeared when I uncapped the frame rate(which seems logical enough). There might be more stuff like this(and worse) that I just haven't run into yet, so it's a bit risky.

But I don't think the performance you get is equivalent to the price including the things you'll lose in the process. It doesn't quite add up.

My bare opinion on overall performance, I hardly notice the difference (except very specific situations).

Ahh ok interesting. That kinda confirms what I had thought when I heard the first G-sync capable monitor would be the VG248QE.. At 144 hz, any improvement in smoothness is going to be so minor that it doesn't matter, and you'll have all the "growing pains" of a new technology. As for the tearing issue, had you tried running the game before with Nvidia's Adaptive V-sync? I run most of my games that way and I've never noticed any major tearing.

Do you play any games that would run less than 60 FPS, and is there any difference in perceived smoothness in them? //Of course, with a 780TI, there isn't really many games that will run below 60..

Ahh ok interesting. That kinda confirms what I had thought when I heard the first G-sync capable monitor would be the VG248QE.. At 144 hz, any improvement in smoothness is going to be so minor that it doesn't matter, and you'll have all the "growing pains" of a new technology. As for the tearing issue, had you tried running the game before with Nvidia's Adaptive V-sync? I run most of my games that way and I've never noticed any major tearing.

Do you play any games that would run less than 60 FPS, and is there any difference in perceived smoothness in them? //Of course, with a 780TI, there isn't really many games that will run below 60..

I actually don't remember if I bothered turning on v-sync, but I might have (I can't remember enough to make a strict comparison). Anyway I tested it by making a 4v4 bot game in SC2 as a spectator on ultra. The game ran at 60-80+ with the occasional dip to 50+. I didn't really notice much difference and thought that the test wouldn't clarify anything. However, doing a big fight it dipped to 32 frames without me realising it. I actually didn't think it dropped below the 50-60 frames during that time from just looking at it. I think that is a pretty good indication that it does increase percieved smoothness. However someone with a more keen eye may disagree.

I actually don't remember if I bothered turning on v-sync, but I might have (I can't remember enough to make a strict comparison). Anyway I tested it by making a 4v4 bot game in SC2 as a spectator on ultra. The game ran at 60-80+ with the occasional dip to 50+. I didn't really notice much difference and thought that the test wouldn't clarify anything. However, doing a big fight it dipped to 32 frames without me realising it. I actually didn't think it dropped below the 50-60 frames during that time from just looking at it. I think that is a pretty good indication that it does increase percieved smoothness. However someone with a more keen eye may disagree.

Ahh thanks for the information.. 

My next monitor will probably be a 4K G-sync display, so it's good to hear that the technology actually does what it promises to do, especially since even high-end systems are going to struggle maintain 60 at 4K.

Np :)

And I think that'll make most of your money. 

Sorry for necroing, but I have an update. The power adapter included in the kit just "broke" for no apparent reason, Luckily I have a charging cable from an old Asus laptop that I can use.