Apple To Abandon Headphone Jack?

ericks_comp

just found this two article. Not sure if anyone has already posted anything. but could this be true?

Apple ditching the headphone jack so start making new digital input Lightning Headphones? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/05/apple-to-abandon-headphone-jack-suddenly-beats-deal-makes-sense/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/report-apple-defines-specs-for-lightning-headphones-with-48khz-output/

They would be idiots to make such a move. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

just found this two article. Not sure if anyone has already posted anything. but could this be true?

Apple ditching the headphone jack so start making new digital input Lightning Headphones?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/05/apple-to-abandon-headphone-jack-suddenly-beats-deal-makes-sense/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/report-apple-defines-specs-for-lightning-headphones-with-48khz-output/

So long as it works well and I can charge and listen to audio at the same time, I think it's a great idea.

EDIT: and they include an adapter

So long as it works well and I can charge and listen to audio at the same time, I think it's a great idea.

EDIT: and they include an adapter

That's all I care about, sometimes I need to charge my iPhone while I listen to the Cubs on MLB At Bat

I hope not. Simply because the fact that this will possibly make headphones on other devices impossible.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I didn't like it when Nintendo did that, I wouldn't be thrilled about a phone doing it.

"But Customers Lose." No they don't. I just would never ever buy a phone that had a proprietary headphone jack.

hasn't apple learned with their stupid lightingbolt connector

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

I am sorry but Lightning connector is much better than the old one they used.

I wonder what their success is with ideas like this.

their ecosystem is growing, the % of people with an apple device is hardly falling (if at all), they're taking advantage of that.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why the hell would they do that

Proprietary = $$$

hello random lurker welcome to linus tech tips

Wrong move Apple, wrong move.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

1) You are mixing up the "Thunderbolt" and the "Lightning" connectors ;) Nothing called "Lightingbolt".

2) Of these Lightning is Apples and Thunderbolt is courtesy of Intel. And they are both far superior to their competitors...

3) Might just be my opinion, but I would actually really like them to do this, because it could potentially be a better connector. See no reason to not do it just because it won't fit in normal 3,5 mm jacks without an adapter.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

1) You are mixing up the "Thunderbolt" and the "Lightning" connectors ;) Nothing called "Lightingbolt".

2) Of these Lightning is Apples and Thunderbolt is courtesy of Intel. Abd they are both far superior to their competitors...

3) Might just be my opinion, but I would actually really like them to do this, because it could potentially be a better connector. See no reason to not do it just because it won't fit in normal 3,5 mm jacks without an adapter.

yeah, but the cost of an adapter will be ridiculous. Probably £25 for one, knowing apple.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

yeah, but the cost of an adapter will be ridiculous. Probably £25 for one, knowing apple.

Well that is another question ;) If Apple keeps the prices sane I am all for it. So far they haven't, but the connectors which they use are way better than the competition (Magsafe 2 being superior to other chargers, Thunderbolt being a lot better than USB 2 and 3 plus offering more uses and Lightning embarrassing the USB micro standard).

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Some reasons why, proprietary kills competition which I think = bad, as mentioned in th Forbes article Apple could make the price of the adapter bulky as he** and also tossed out here and I think both articles the price could be stupidly high, headphone manufacturers would have to pay what could be some stupidly high price license fee, and my and anyone's else choise to pick what they want device product wise is limited just a bit more by what is wanted convenience wise. . .  <_<

That would make no sense. You would need every set of headphones to have integrated DAC and amp chips, which would not only drive up costs but would also be of awful quality to be small enough not to make them overly bulky.

EDIT - unless they intend to use Lightning to pass an analogue rather than digital signal. If they have a way they can do that, then this is pure proprietary bullshit.

I love that everyone in this thread has jumped to the conclusion that this is fact. What they've most likely done is define this specification for Lightning headphones while still keeping the normal headphone jack for normal headphones. Audio output is already available through the Lightning connector, but it allows companies to make headphones for iPhone with added functionality.

Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 Asus X99-Deluxe | EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Platinum Series 760 | NZXT H440 White | Shimian 27" 2560x1440 | Ducky 9087 TKL | Logitech G9x | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Schiit Audio Modi DAC & Magni Amp

www.ethangriswold.com

I love that everyone in this thread has jumped to the conclusion that this is fact. What they've most likely done is define this specification for Lightning headphones while still keeping the normal headphone jack for normal headphones. Audio output is already available through the Lightning connector, but it allows companies to make headphones for iPhone with added functionality.

Digital audio output is already available through the Lightning connector. It's not an analogue output, or at least its never been revealed it can be used in that way.

That's just plain stupid. Why do such a thing? They always talk about how many new customers they get but soon it's gonna be about how many they are gonna loose. I think it would be so stupid, and I am (bring on the hate) an Apple boy. I love my iPhone, iPad plan on getting a Mac soon but if they make this move I may just have to... Move to android 0_0

NEVER going to happen

Just because they are allowing their lightning port power headphones does NOT mean they are removing the headphone jack

You are stupid to even think they would. Apple are alot more open than people think. They love people making apps and acessories for their devices.

They want people to buy any headphones they want, and use iTunes to buy all their music. They would not want to put people off!

and if they did they would include/sell at 3.5mm adapter. I still do not see them doing it. Its just not in their nature.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

what a dicky move on Apple's part.  Android keeps looking more and more enticing.