Arena Commander - Opinions

JLCitadel

Looks and seems great so far. Using a PS4 controller and it'll take some adjustments, and I did have to relaunch a couple times to get the arena commander mode to display but seems to be on the right track.

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

Oh joy, it works smoothly

KM+M here, and tomorrow ill try with the X52 and see how it goes, But so far im doing fine. Aiming was not my problem, it was overheating on the guns and that the vanduul kept circling around me.

Only thing i haven't figured out this 10~ min i tested is how to use the missiles, it says its the scroll wheel but it´s doing nothing for me.

Oh and how do i land again? i also notice Eject ain´t working. at lest not in Free Flight.

You have to "press the scroll wheel down" and it will lock on. (Not scrolling pressing)

And when you press it a second time and it will shoot.

But keep in mind that you don't have that many missiles so save them up for the hard waves.

RTX2070OC 

I don't like the controls.

The coupled uncoupled is really annoying.

Uncoupled should give control over all 6 axis. It doesn't and I find myself trying to switch modes mid flight all the time. 

This game really needs a mode that gives yaw,pitch,roll and collective control in the same flight mode. 

I don't like the controls.

The coupled uncoupled is really annoying.

Uncoupled should give control over all 6 axis. It doesn't and I find myself trying to switch modes mid flight all the time. 

This game really needs a mode that gives yaw,pitch,roll and collective control in the same flight mode. 

using a extreme 3d pro joystick I get yaw/pitch/roll by default. Its alot harder to control if your using a 360 pad because you have to use modifier buttons for yaw, not sure about kb&m havent tried it yet.

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

using a extreme 3d pro joystick I get yaw/pitch/roll by default. Its alot harder to control if your using a 360 pad because you have to use modifier buttons for yaw, not sure about kb&m havent tried it yet.

Same problem on KB+M :(

People on the Star Citizen forums are really upset about it.(Me included)

I have more control directions in Battlefield 3/4 flying a jet than in Star Citizen flying a space ship.

CIG will probably change it because people are raging on the forums about it.

RTX2070OC 

Same problem on KB+M :(

People on the Star Citizen forums are really upset about it.(Me included)

I have more control directions in Battlefield 3/4 flying a jet than in Star Citizen flying a space ship.

CIG will probably change it because people are raging on the forums about it.

I'm hoping that they can just make keys rebindable sooner rather than later and then people can set it up however they want.

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

Not liking the follow the mouse controls I can't appear to rebind anything? I loved the planetside two flight controls when I played that, hoping I will be able to recreate them.
Broken moon map doesnt give me reticule, no lock on, no enemies on radar, impossible to fly.

Works on the other map though.

Looks awsome though, I guess il just wait untill it gets rebindable controls.

There's a bit of a learning curve to flying, using a 360 controller anyway, but other than that, I really like it. I've run into a few issues where I've drifted outside the map and died because the thrusters just plain stop working for no reason....

You drifted out because you took it out of coupling mode.

Did the same thing myself.

They really needed to look at the flight controls for BF4 as that works well and would rather yaw with the right stick.

You drifted out because you took it out of coupling mode.

Did the same thing myself.

They really needed to look at the flight controls for BF4 as that works well and would rather yaw with the right stick.

Oh, that makes sense. It's really annoying...

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Oh, that makes sense. It's really annoying...

Writing is tiny

Writing is tiny

I didn't even know which button triggered it...after 45 minutes I still can't decide which method of control to stick with, I've had problems with both. :/

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I didn't even know which button triggered it...after 45 minutes I still can't decide which method of control to stick with, I've had problems with both. :/

Left trigger and pushing in one of the stick I think

Left trigger and pushing in one of the stick I think

I hate button modifiers on a controller....

I hate button modifiers on a controller....

they just aren't using the d pad and buttons appropriately

I've been playing for the last 45 minutes or so. The game looks great. Flying feels awesome but aiming at targets is challenging (I consider it a big plus). I've been flying using an x-55 rhino hotas but the whole throttle piece was not working in the game (although there's a profile for that hotas in the menu)

Generally great piece of work at this stage of production.

I'll try to spend some more time with the game tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some more valuable comments to add.

Cheers!

Sooo ive been watching videos all day on AC gameplay cuz im stuck at work and im pretty sure it will take me a week to DL the patch lol.  But i was able to get a decent idea of how it was going.  First off the Radar is useless except to see location of targets and not distance or direction they are traveling.  I wasnt even flying and just staring at the radar and i couldnt tell.  Maybe a distance to target indicator on the target itself would help with that.  Also the guns seem to drain really fast.  Making long distance shooting really useless.  Better to save up the energy and then unleash when close.  But rockets are sick.  But my real take away is its friggin gorgeous, so awesome looking.  However i am having a real hard time imagining a whole persistent universe like this.  I mean it would be unlike anything that has ever been before.  Wich is the point but it really makes the daunting task Chris Roberts and co. have ahead them seem ridiculous lol.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Sooo ive been watching videos all day on AC gameplay cuz im stuck at work and im pretty sure it will take me a week to DL the patch lol.  But i was able to get a decent idea of how it was going.  First off the Radar is useless except to see location of targets and not distance or direction they are traveling.  I wasnt even flying and just staring at the radar and i couldnt tell.  Maybe a distance to target indicator on the target itself would help with that.  Also the guns seem to drain really fast.  Making long distance shooting really useless.  Better to save up the energy and then unleash when close.  But rockets are sick.  But my real take away is its friggin gorgeous, so awesome looking.  However i am having a real hard time imagining a whole persistent universe like this.  I mean it would be unlike anything that has ever been before.  Wich is the point but it really makes the daunting task Chris Roberts and co. have ahead them seem ridiculous lol.

I think they should concentrate on fixing the flight first. Its a real mess at the moment. The core game mechanics need a rethink. Its like half War Thunder, Half on the rails shooter or something weird. I not saying they won't fix it though. 

The battlefield series has way better flight, and so does Planetside 2. I was really hoping for true 6dof flight. 

You get pitch, roll and yaw in one mode - and a strange "Strafing" mechanic in the other, that kind of drags you towards a fixed point. Kinda hard to describe.

However, take into account I'm just describing the negatives. The rest of the pre Alpha is solid - its just I was expecting the flight to be really space like... not plane like.  

I fly a lot in games, so that's probably why I'm having difficulties with it - I even made a tutor for flying a helicopter a few years ago.

Flying like this would be impossible (I think anyway) with this setup.

Overall? I'm disappointed.

It's essentially starfighter in SWTOR but with better graphics, and in all seriousness? If I had a choice between the two, I'd go for starfighter. The controls I didn't mind, and it's not that I'm against the idea of having weight in the ships, but the reaction just felt really slow when I moved my mouse around. I turned the sensitivity to about 70 and I still wasn't really a fan of it, I was making full small revolutions and the ship struggled to keep up.

Also, other things because this was my first experience with the entire game so far as I hadn't downloaded it before.

Wtf, man.

I know this is a game that's been praised for it's looks but jesus christ, when I first loaded into the hanger I saw a weird image before everything loaded in, movement in the hangar felt absolutely ridiculous and my guy was clipping through the chair in the Origin and through a panel as he got into the Hornet. For a game that's raving on about it's graphical fidelity it fucking astounds me that this game has such minor issues. I would have figured that they would have made something small, make sure it works and then move on and add more to that original base. However, like with most games these fucking days, they're diving in head first to the end and then wonder why the fuck it won't work when it comes out.

They shouldn't focus so much on making this look realistic as possible if they could dedicate some of that resource to making the gameplay smoother and feel better to play which is what fucking matters in a video GAME.

Disappointed, absolutely disappointed.

It's essentially starfighter in SWTOR but with better graphics, and in all seriousness? If I had a choice between the two, I'd go for starfighter. The controls I didn't mind, and it's not that I'm against the idea of having weight in the ships, but the reaction just felt really slow when I moved my mouse around. I turned the sensitivity to about 70 and I still wasn't really a fan of it, I was making full small revolutions and the ship struggled to keep up.

Also, other things because this was my first experience with the entire game so far as I hadn't downloaded it before.

Wtf, man.

I know this is a game that's been praised for it's looks but jesus christ, when I first loaded into the hanger I saw a weird image before everything loaded in, movement in the hangar felt absolutely ridiculous and my guy was clipping through the chair in the Origin and through a panel as he got into the Hornet. For a game that's raving on about it's graphical fidelity it fucking astounds me that this game has such minor issues. I would have figured that they would have made something small, make sure it works and then move on and add more to that original base. However, like with most games these fucking days, they're diving in head first to the end and then wonder why the fuck it won't work when it comes out.

They shouldn't focus so much on making this look realistic as possible if they could dedicate some of that resource to making the gameplay smoother and feel better to play which is what fucking matters in a video GAME.

As more customization options are made available you'll be able to make the game work better for your control taste. As for responsiveness of the ships a lot depends on the ship itself. I was shocked to see how big of a difference there's between the hornet and 300i - the latter being MUCH more agile with a tighter turn rate.

Have you tried other controllers besides k+m? I find flight games more enjoyable with a stick (there's a reason why there's no mouse and keyboard in a real plane, right?)

Peace.

As more customization options are made available you'll be able to make the game work better for your control taste. As for responsiveness of the ships a lot depends on the ship itself. I was shocked to see how big of a difference there's between the hornet and 300i - the latter being MUCH more agile with a tighter turn rate.

Have you tried other controllers besides k+m? I find flight games more enjoyable with a stick (there's a reason why there's no mouse and keyboard in a real plane, right?)

Peace.

I don't own a flightstick and was honestly looking forward to purchasing one solely for this game.

But I've heard hat the sticks aren't exstensively mapped as the KB/M and controllers are, and even then I'd want to wait and hear the opinions of others on if getting a stick is worth it and which one.

I also tried both the Origin and Hornet, I much preferred the Hornet and I'm glad I do as I didn't actually buy the Origin and was surprised it was in my hanger.

I suppose it may just take a little to get used to in the long run, just movement doesn't seem as fluid as I had hoped and feels very heavy.

I don't own a flightstick and was honestly looking forward to purchasing one solely for this game.

But I've heard hat the sticks aren't exstensively mapped as the KB/M and controllers are, and even then I'd want to wait and hear the opinions of others on if getting a stick is worth it and which one.

I also tried both the Origin and Hornet, I much preferred the Hornet and I'm glad I do as I didn't actually buy the Origin and was surprised it was in my hanger.

I suppose it may just take a little to get used to in the long run, just movement doesn't seem as fluid as I had hoped and feels very heavy.

It would do, it's surprisingly realistic in terms of momentum, and the thrust needed to change it. If you're at 100% thrust and you change the direction your ship is facing in, you won't actually change momentum for a good few seconds, I like it. 

Yeah, hornet feels heavy but I guess it's good. It makes for the steeper learning curve of the game and demands more planning in flight path, attack angles and such. Let's keep in mind that it's supposed to be a semi-hardcore sim game and not a fps shooter.

As for the stick, by now there are predefined controls for x-55 rhino and thrustmaster warthog. I have the x-55 and it feels great to me. I hate the default mapping of the controls but the customization is coming in the near future hopefully.

It would do, it's surprisingly realistic in terms of momentum, and the thrust needed to change it. If you're at 100% thrust and you change the direction your ship is facing in, you won't actually change momentum for a good few seconds, I like it. 

Yeah, hornet feels heavy but I guess it's good. It makes for the steeper learning curve of the game and demands more planning in flight path, attack angles and such. Let's keep in mind that it's supposed to be a semi-hardcore sim game and not a fps shooter.

As for the stick, by now there are predefined controls for x-55 rhino and thrustmaster warthog. I have the x-55 and it feels great to me. I hate the default mapping of the controls but the customization is coming in the near future hopefully.

Suppose it's just time to buckle down and get used to it I suppose.

I'll probably fly around a bit between games of Wildstar and solitaire now that I've got three free months of absolutely no obligations or responsibilities.

I like how people are whining about the ship not being 'responsive enough', for a game being in pre-pre-alpha i think it ran surprisingly well and a ship being slow to turn has nothing to do with it.

On the contrary, the physics of flying in space is fantastic, turning would definitely not be easy thanks to lack of air resistance and Newton's third law of motion. All acceleration in a direction is fully dependent on the power of the thrusters, turning 90* will not only require a horizontal component of thruster force, but also a backwards component to prevent drifting. This is where Coupling mode is useful for dodging stalled vanduul craft by pitching up/down/left/right or just quick 180* turnarounds of the craft body without changing trajectory when targeting circling vanduul ships.

Could be better, but for what it is at the moment i think it's pretty good.
If you need help with the game, check this out and everything will make much more sense. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/dpd639fngtcakr/source/Arena-Commander-Pilots-Guide-V0-8.pdf

I've been playing for a few hours in my Hornet now and I love it. The controls feel a little weird and I know I will have a better time when I get my hands on a decent HOTAS or at least a joystick. It just feels weird controlling with a mouse. 

Also yes the zero gravity effects are awesome. I noticed when I was sitting in third person mode and firing my miniguns (or whatever the hell they are) the shells discharged and kinda floated in space next to me as opposed to falling as they would in an atmosphere. Just little things like that make it awesome IMO. 

Wtf, man.

It's in pre alpha. Not Alpha. Not Beta. Pre Alpha lol

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol