Laptop vs. Desktop

dmacd1331

So I just got my first legitish laptop but still have my desktop. I'm still going to use my desktop for gaming because the laptop doesn't have the gpu power for newer games but I feel like one is going to get neglected at some point.

Desktop because more power and also I spend most of time at home so close to my PC.

Quote me to get a reply!

Voting desktop because you can upgrade, more power, cooler cases etc etc.

Also, I never liked laptops...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I used to just have a laptop for everything. Then when I got my desktop it felt faintly ridiculous to use a 19" laptop for just facebook and stuff so I gave it to mum and have replaced it completely with my phone.

Laptops are supposed to be for portability. Gaming laptops these days are mostly 17.3" which just defeats the purpose of a laptop.

Laptop for portability and/or work.

Desktops are everyday and gaming use.

If you're just using your laptop at home, then I guarantee you will eventually stop using it all together. Gaming or not, you will use your desktop. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Laptops are supposed to be for portability. Gaming laptops these days are mostly 17.3" which just defeats the purpose of a laptop.

Laptop for portability and/or work.

Desktops are everyday and gaming use.

No it doesn't. Some people require mobile desktops and a big form factor laptop. Just because you don't have a use for one...

If you're just using your laptop at home, then I guarantee you will eventually stop using it all together. Gaming or not, you will use your desktop. 

Thats what I found with my netbook but I feel like the reason why I stopped using it at home and on the go was using my desktop all the time the 10 in screen was way too small. Now I have a 14.1 and it is much better for on the go.

Desktop because more power and also I spend most of time at home so close to my PC.

MOAR POWAAAAH!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No it doesn't. Some people require mobile desktops and a big form factor laptop. Just because you don't have a use for one...

I'm speaking majority. I mean, go to school. Do you see people lugging their desktops?

LAN Party is a totally different thing that we're talking bout here. OP asked about regular use of either desktop or laptop.

I'm speaking majority. I mean, go to school. Do you see people lugging their desktops?

LAN Party is a totally different thing that we're talking bout here. OP asked about regular use of either desktop or laptop.

I used to use a huge laptop as my only pc. Generally it sat in my room and I used it like a desktop, but I could also take it to school, I could move it easily around the house. It was the right mix of power and portability for me at that time.

I used to use a huge laptop as my only pc. Generally it sat in my room and I used it like a desktop, but I could also take it to school, I could move it easily around the house. It was the right mix of power and portability for me at that time.

How big? How is it on your shoulder?

Voting desktop because you can upgrade, more power, cooler cases etc etc.

Also, I never liked laptops...

I don't like laptops either the screens are too small.

How big? How is it on your shoulder?

I already said, it was about 18.5-19". It was ok. I didn't exactly go hiking with it, I mostly travelled by car or bus with it so I didn't need anything lightweight just moveable and compact.

I already said, it was about 18.5-19". It was ok. I didn't exactly go hiking with it, I mostly travelled by car or bus with it so I didn't need anything lightweight just moveable and compact.

Make a survey and see what other people think.

Desktop pretty much covers everything these days.

Want a super OP custom loop? Full tower is the way to go, or mid if you can.

Want a decent gaming computer? Mid towers serve all.

Want a portable gaming box? Mini-itx desktops can house everything you need these days.

Want something that you can take anywhere? Why not get a NUC?

That is, other than the problem of handling bulky monitors.

Sometimes the cost of an ultrabook is hard to justify when one has access to decent tablets like the T100TA and mini-ITX systems that can fit in a SG05...unless one REALLY needs to game all the time, everywhere and anywhere.

Make a survey and see what other people think.

Why the hell would I give a crap what anyone else thinks about my computer needs five years ago? o.0

Both have their strengths.

A laptop gives me portability and the ability to handle standard PC tasks on the go.

While the desktop gives me PHENOMINAL HARDWARE POWER!

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I've got both at home. The laptop has been neglected since I built my desktop in Jan. I only fire it up to update games, and then take it with me when I travel. That old GTX 460M is still more than useful for current games.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

during weekdays laptop for weekdays when doing home work somtimes the gaming pc, weekends gaming pc :)

Desktop cos my laptop is crap and i only use it for school

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

I care about battery life and smooth performance for casual use on a laptop. A decent integrated graphics is nice for games like LoL, Dota 2, or maybe civ.

I care about pure horsepower on a desktop.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I use  both almost equally, so I wasnt sure what to answer

Also I probably use my iPad more ....so...yeah

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I actually just started using a laptop recently due to me starting to work on my PC custom loop A LOT more. I've used them before but just rarely. I HAAAAAAAATTTTTTEEEEEEE these trackpads. Maybe I'm just so used to a mouse. (I know that you can use a mouse on a laptop)

Oh but anyway, to answer question, desktop, if you didn't figure it out yet.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.