[WIP] Super Budget Build, for Girlfriend

acidydragon

Hello all!

Today I get the pleasure of bringing you something I'm very happy to be doing (more so, than my own rig even).

Background Story:

So, as the headline implies, this is not a build for me. This is a build for my girlfriend, and her family. Me and my girlfriend have been dating for just about 3 years now, and one of the things that really started our relationship was our common nerdy/geeky-ness. She has always been a gamer; however, she has never been in the situation to be able to join the PC master race, and has been stuck with one-two generation old consoles, which currently is a Wii and a PlayStation 2. Now, a few months ago, her parents allowed her to take the all-in-one eMachine, and use it as her own computer. The only problem with this, is it stutters and has problems with three tabs of internet. If we want to Skype, she can't open anything else, even the calculator, or the computer freezes, and crashes.

A few months ago, I gifted her one of my all time favorite games, and one she was very interested in playing, World of Warcraft. She loved the game, she loved taking the game slow and relaxing; however, even with her relaxed pace, and being in zones with at most 5 other people, she found that her computer was having issues on low, even just watching her walking alone. She got tired of the experience, and gave up all together.

I want to fix it this.

Their current situation of computers:

Their current situation is a little out dated, their computers are running some ancient hardware, ribbon cables, eMachines, and green PCBs. Their main tower is running at below 2 ghz, somewhere in the lower range of that too! It has 1gb of RAM, and has on board graphics. Their all in one eMachine, has 2gb of RAM (I upgraded it.), intel on board graphics, and a 200gb hard drive (not sure the size of the hard drive, or the speed of the CPU...)

I plan to check actual specs the next time I have a chance, and will edit this portion with real terrifying specs as soon as possible. -note- They're bad enough, that browsing the internet has issues.

New build:

Total spent so far: $50 USD

Parts List:

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610

GPU: TBA

MoBo: MSI Z77a-G41

PSU: Thermaltake Smart M 850w

Case: Dell Studio XPS 8100 

RAM: 2x2gb 1333mhz

Storage: TBA

Parts story, and reasoning:

So, as is mentioned in the title, this is a super budget build. My total budget for this build at the start, was $0.

However, I had a plan. I was getting an upgrade for my CPU to an i5, leaving me with an 8320, and a Sabertooth motherboard left over. I also had a PSU that was replaced, we'll get back to the PSU later.

Now, as some of you might now, WoW is a very Intel favoring game (I only got 10 FPS in some places), so this CPU wasn't going to work super well for my needs.

So my plan, was to sell the CPU, and Motherboard in order to create an entire computer for my girlfriend. Now, the problem is, an issue has arisen with that plan...

It hasn't sold. So my budget was cut down to $0 again... So as I waited, slowly scraping in money where I could, I found a sale on the Classifieds for the CPU/Motherboard by @TheSLSAMG. I offered him $50, and he accepted.

Two days later, the bundle arrived and was quickly tested by taking some RAM out of my rig, and using the Thermaltake PSU. Finding it powered right, and looked good enough, I was satisfied.

A few days past, and I headed to my old house (we're in the process of moving), and picked up my brick of an old computer. The computer had a dead motherboard (and maybe CPU), so I thought nothing of it.

I opened it up, just to see what was inside, and if I might be able to use the case for the computer, and thought about the RAM inside. I quickly pulled out a stick, and read the little sticker attached. Delighted to find it was DDR3! :D

I took out two of the 2gb sticks, and put them in the MSI board and used my trusty dinner fork to jump start the computer. Success! The RAM worked! On top of that, the only stand offs that were out of place, were beyond the end of the board, or were easily removed.

-note: The PSU was left over from an upgrade to my rig, and rather than being sold, is now being used.

My scavenging has left me with the CPU, Motherboard, PSU, Case, and RAM.

Pictures of my struggles:

Some pictures are with my phone, some with my T3i. They're all taken fast, and better pictures will come with the finished process.

Hardware from the ol' XPS that's now taking up space.

RmZD3g5.jpg

BXFWU1v.jpg

gLOcZcw.jpg

Mmmm... Blue PCB

Nqznr1M.jpg

gvSMJpT.jpg

Pictures of the scavenged parts.

3gDiJhV.jpg

4B0Cubt.jpg

jmKICGr.jpg

ers4FgG.jpg

YXwrnMu.jpg

Technical difficulties, and Modding plans!

So, it turns out, the motherboard had a hacked BIOS for use as a Hackintosh, so I just flashed the OEM BIOS back.

gNHiwqT.jpg

This case has next to no airflow, so I plan to cut some holes, and mod some to give it some nicer airflow possibilities.

Suggestions wanted!

I'm thinking, two fans in the side panel (Either that, or a window.)

These are the marks, it would sit right over top of the CPU/top of the GPU range.

sgOuD2C.jpg

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Hmmm, you really don't have a budget? You can save some money tho :)

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

Hmmm, you really don't have a budget? You can save some money tho :)

The $50 used to buy the CPU/Motherboard was taken from something else, that I later had to kind of fudge my budget on. ^_^

I don't have any real income, I get enough money to essentially live, and drive places. I'm not currently in a situation where a job is an option either.

Just some chores, and small work for my parents that gets me a few dollars.

-Note: My computer was built from presents, and being smart with selling things, and buying things. It's not a representation of my financial situation.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Updated with pictures :)

Oooh, that's what the board and CPU were for. Happy I could be of service :)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Overkill psu. But i guess if it was from another build its ok

Overkill psu. But i guess if it was from another build its ok

so your that guy, how do you know its over kill when he hasnt picked a gpu? I could send him a 295x2 and it wouldnt be over kill anymore would it

so your that guy, how do you know its over kill when he hasnt picked a gpu? I could send him a 295x2 and it wouldnt be over kill anymore would it

Yep this guy would totally have that card with his 4gb of ram dude seriously -.-.

If you read it all he says he doesn't really have an income so i doubt he'll be getting any gpu close to needing that power supply, and it would be pointless having a high end gpu in this build with the rest of the specs

So the XPS pc is dead because I was confused why you didn't try to use that. Also good for you scrounging up parts to make a pc. I have a nvidia 7200gs if you need a GPU (just kidding).

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Yep this guy would totally have that card with his 4gb of ram dude seriously -.-.

If you read it all he says he doesn't really have an income so i doubt he'll be getting any gpu close to needing that power supply, and it would be pointless having a high end gpu in this build with the rest of the specs

If it's overkill, what's it matter?

IT WAS FREE.

The other option was spending money...

If it's overkill, what's it matter?

IT WAS FREE.

The other option was spending money...

Which I said if it was from another build thats ok!!!! seriously start reading

Which I said if it was from another build thats ok!!!! seriously start reading

"Yep this guy would totally have that card with his 4gb of ram dude seriously -.-. 

If you read it all he says he doesn't really have an income so i doubt he'll be getting any gpu close to needing that power supply, and it would be pointless having a high end gpu in this build with the rest of the specs"

You said it was Okay, then went on to debate about how I won't ever need it...

Either way, it's all good, and I'm still happy with the amount spent so far.

As a small update

I have some... you could say... Financial assistance, on it's way to get some needed parts that I don't want to use a used one of.

...*Cough*... Storage...*Cough*...

I also changed some plans for the modding. I'm going to add a small window, instead of adding fans. ^_^ I had acrylic laying around, not tons of extra fans.

The only new parts have been ordered.

SSD, and a WiFi card.

(Her parents assisted the financial side)

She had to have WiFi, because they refuse to run an Ethernet line.

They're set to arrive Monday.

Crucial M500 for the SSD :)

Just an update for all,

Progress has come to a halt for a little bit.

I got into a car accident, and am very sore.

Parts are still coming, and I might work on it slowly, if at all.

Should be back up and running in a week or so.

Just an update for all,

Progress has come to a halt for a little bit.

I got into a car accident, and am very sore.

Parts are still coming, and I might work on it slowly, if at all.

Should be back up and running in a week or so.

Get well soon dude.

Nice super budget build.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Just for perspective, this is my car at the accident. @loepa

Eu4el9L.jpg

whoa dude :o glad youre not really hurt.

anyhow i have a passivecooled 7600GT if you are interested, tho shipping from here would probably be a pain...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

whoa dude :o glad youre not really hurt.

anyhow i have a passivecooled 7600GT if you are interested, tho shipping from here would probably be a pain...

Probably ^_^

I appreciate the offer, and the joy of me being alright.

Just for perspective, this is my car at the accident. @loepa

Eu4el9L.jpg

gosh that looks like you drove into a hippo 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

gosh that looks like you drove into a hippo 

My car is very low to the ground (stock), and the car I hit was quite a bit taller, so my hood went underneath, and their car was pushed 20-30 feet forward. (about 6-9 meters)

My car is very low to the ground (stock), and the car I hit was quite a bit taller, so my hood went underneith, and their car was pushed 20-30 feet forward. (about 6-9 meters)

did the other car hit any other cars or was there allot of space between cars? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

did the other car hit any other cars or was there allot of space between cars? 

They did indeed hit the car in front of them, but with minimal damages. The third car drove off the scene.