Membrane keyboards for gaming?

Tr33

I know most ppl will say mechanical keyboards are better but i seem to like the look of keyboards such as Roccat Isku,Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which are both membrane. I mean when i game i only play shooter games so i mostly just press WASD, R,Z and maybe a few other things. As for typing i can see how u fast typer on mechanical keyboards(especially with blue switches) but when u get used to membrane u can type just as fat. Or no? What's your view on mechanical vs membrane keyboards in FPS gaming and just normal internet use and typing on skype etc. 

BLAOW!!!!

membrane wears out quicker so I rather mechanical. (I am a guy who wants everything he buys to last a long time lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Do not get the Emprex 5105GU that's for sure!!!

Also get mechanical man :D

I know you don't won't one though...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Membrane is fine for me

I don't do a lot of typing so it doesn't bother me

Im usually happy if it's backlit

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Membrane is fine for me

I don't do a lot of typing so it doesn't bother me

Im usually happy if it's backlit

Dude you are missing out ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I find mechanical kb to be too loud for me, the feeling of them is amazing but too loud, i have a logitech G110 ( membrane ) and its really good for gaming, i got no complaints !

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I had a Sidewinder X4 which was a decent membrane, but after getting a mechanical I couldn't go back. 

Its like when going from crappy dual core AMD to i7, you cant go back to membrane from mechanical, its simply better + there are silent mechanical keyboards if its the noise lvl ur annoyed by.

conclusion - get mechanical :D

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

As I said in another thread, mechanical vs membrane is pure preference, the only factual thing mechanical has over membrane is that they will last longer and are better built.

Typing (what you use a keyboard for.... :rolleyes: ) experience is going to differ from person to person with the different types of keyboards.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

There are some alright membrane boards like the Sidewinder and such for their prices.

Pref get a mechanical keyboard but if you can't personally justify the price it's cool! Just don't got for a "high end" gaming membranes as I don't think they are really worth it. If you go for one of those, might as well get a mechanical.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Do not get the Emprex 5105GU that's for sure!!!

Also get mechanical man :D

I know you don't won't one though...

Well 1st they dont even have that brand in my country lol(they have shit brand selection-only Roccat,Razer,Logitech(those with the touch screens=useless lol),Microsoft(only sidewinder). From mechanicals really all there is to choose from is Blackwidows(im not sure if arctosa,lyctosa are mechanical) but its not that i dont want a mechanica keyboard its that all i have to choose from is blackwidows in my country. And when it comes to me i like to have the latest model so that would be the ultimate 2013 but thats around 140 euros over here. Roccat isku,Sideweinder are cheaper have much better leds imo and look cooler. And for someone who wont even really use macros(may for opening websites if thats possible to program them to do) i dont need to have a billion buttons. Plus Isku FX has that cool color changing option. AND if the sidewinder or isku have a million buttons i wont mind. I dont want a small keyboard. But then again keyboard buying-thats for the distant future haha. As all i have now is a laptop

BLAOW!!!!

I find mechanical kb to be too loud for me, the feeling of them is amazing but too loud, i have a logitech G110 ( membrane ) and its really good for gaming, i got no complaints !

You can get different switches that are quieter. I think Red and Black are the quietest, followed by Browns.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I used membrane for a LONG time and just recently switched over.  While I would be hard pressed to ever give up mechanical fully, I must say, it isn't everything it is always boasted to be. Especially for gaming, the switched make little to no difference.  For typing I do prefer the quicker response and the feedback.  The thing I have found I like most about my mechanical keyboard are the functions it added, namely the back light (individual key lit) and the macro keys.

You can get different switches that are quieter. I think Red and Black are the quietest, followed by Browns.

Im a psycho when it comes to sounds, maybe one day ill like it but for now too loud :P

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Dude you are missing out ;)

haha yer i've tried mechanical keyboards they're good

i agree with everyone that they're amazing

i guess you could say i have a high tolerance to membrane keyboards  ;\ 

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I will never go back to membrane I can game on them sure but its much nicer to use a mechanical keyboard I also dont have to worry about it breaking easily

I have the X4 and I kinda like it but I am hoping to get a mechanical soon. 

The most amazing membrane keyboard, and the only one I've ever really like is the Logitech K750 solar-powered keyboard.  It has a nice light click and requires little effort to type.  They really did a good job with that one.  It's also super slim to boot.  But, it still doesn't compare to my mechanicals.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

• 3 years later...
On 5/13/2013 at 9:44 PM, bcredeur97 said:

membrane wears out quicker so I rather mechanical. (I am a guy who wants everything he buys to last a long time lol)

Normally i wouldnt say anything in such matters but i have to disagree with you. I have been using Razer's membrane keyboard for over 9 years now and i havent had any problems of any sort with it. And yes i have played over 300 games which basically includes from Call of duty to World of Warcraft. I guess it just depends on your usage in the end. Personally i prefer Membrane over Mechanical because the mechanical ones are just too noisy at night. I would rather do my raids in peace and quiet than having my keyboard tell me that i pressed a key =)

I personally use the Apple Aluminum Keyboard. I own multiple of them and haven't any of them wear out. 

Systems:

The Three Broomsticks: EVGA GTX Titan Black - ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - AMD 3900X - 4x16 GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4

USS Yorktown: Razer Blade 15 Advanced - 2080Max-Q, 4k, 60Hz

Grimmauld Place: MacPro 5,1 (Mid 2010) - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC - Intel Xeon X5680 3.33 GHz (Westmere) - 48 GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC

USS Enterprise: MacBook Pro 9,1 (Mid 2012, 15-inch) - GeForce GT 650M & Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Intel Core i7 3720QM 2.6GHz (Ivy Bridge) - 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 - 1TB Mushkin SSD - 480GB Mushkin SSD

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Other:

Phone: iPhone X 256GB

Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 3 - GPS + Cellular, Garmin Forerunner 645 Music

38 minutes ago, RedMasterOnion said:

I personally use the Apple Aluminum Keyboard. I own multiple of them and haven't any of them wear out. 

Bringing the experience of typing on a laptop to the desktop work environment!

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.