Why is Samsung making such huge phones?

terrytek

would be really cool if they did that, but apple would get all the attention for 'trying something new' when LG already did it

also, the leaked dummy models didnt have that, and they looked pretty legit imo

Yeah, I kinda want to say the same thing in the OP with LG. Their phones got really huge, especially the G Flex at 6 inches.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

As a Xperia Z user, 5 inches is a tad too big for me. I think 4.7 inches is ideal for me, personally.

7 inch (and around that size) would mostly be used as a secondary thing for me, something to keep around the computer, in the car or whatnot. Where a 10 inch tablet would be too big. If you're able to use a sim card with both (and they are tied with your current phoneplan), then I don't see why you couldn't have them around. Though, mainly used as something to browse websites and view videos on.

xperia z is massive for 5 inches so thats why

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It isn't really massive for 5 inches. It just wants to follow suit with this trend.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

indeed, sony has to fix those bezels, but it has probably to do with the water and dustproof thing they got going on, altho samsung has it too and they dont huge bezels

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I was just today browsing an ad magazine of a local electronics store and the Samsung Galaxy phone and tablet lines' ads take PAGES there. That is on top of pages of Samsung TVs and other crap they spew out in every possible form, color and feature set. Options are nice but I feel that Samsung is going way overboard with their products.

I was just today browsing an ad magazine of a local electronics store and the Samsung Galaxy phone and tablet lines' ads take PAGES there. That is on top of pages of Samsung TVs and other crap they spew out in every possible form, color and feature set. Options are nice but I feel that Samsung is going way overboard with their products.

Exactly. They just want to show their crap off.

Please tell me how every company should cater to your needs, also don't consider that there's people with different tastes than you.

Seriously I've seen way too many threads about people whining about big phones, does anyone force you to buy them? No then why do you care if that model exists?

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

You mean disagree. He was talking about how small screens make typing and other finger things on a phone awkward.

No I meant agree you lunatic :P

A Nexus 5 has a 5 inch screen

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

They try it, people buy it... Repeat process, simple as that

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Bigger = Better  ;)

In some instances. 

It is the girth and not the length that is the most important thing. - Linus Sebastian.

They are experimenting. They want to know what is the upper limit. They have enough money to create whatever phone they want as long as it still looks like S3.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I like the BIG Psss

Not penises, Phones

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

5-5.5 seems to be the right size.  I'm bigger, 6'4, so I like a slightly bigger phone.  

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Fact is that Samsung is making millions off these phones. If making a large phone is dumb, then they wouldn't be a successful company. Majority of the people now are going with bigger screens, many were reluctant at first, but now having a 5'' screen is the norm. If you don't want a big phone, buy a smaller phone, don't question why Samsung is making larger phones. They sell, it's as simple as that. 

Because they make them for the Asian markets where they looooooove big phones like this. Not to mention i know a lot of people who think big phones are great for work and productivity. Just a different use case than the way that most people on this site view technology.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Because they make them for the Asian markets where they looooooove big phones like this. Not to mention i know a lot of people who think big phones are great for work and productivity. Just a different use case than the way that most people on this site view technology.

Yeah, I seriously don't get why Asians like big phones. It just takes up space in your pocket.

I think about 5 inches is the sweet spot for phones. :P

I think about 5 inches is the sweet spot for phones. :P

Yeah. 7 inches on a phone is just plain overkill.

Yeah. 7 inches on a phone is just plain overkill.

My Nexus 7 (2013) is that size!

It does fit in my pocket but as a phone that's a nono.

My Nexus 7 (2013) is that size!

It does fit in my pocket but as a phone that's a nono.

Exactly.

It's funny. A couple of years ago, we were trying to make phones more compact. Now we are making them big again. 7 inches is absolute overkill for a phone.

It's funny. A couple of years ago, we were trying to make phones more compact. Now we are making them big again. 7 inches is absolute overkill for a phone.

Yeah, I guess Apple is one of those companies who is still trying to keep their phones small, unlike Samsung here.....

Link: http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-mega-7-inch-phone-detailed-for-summer-24326426/

Why the fuck are Samsung phones getting so big? It started with the 4.3 inch Galaxy S2, then the 4.8 inch S3, the 5 inch S4, and the 5.1 inch S5. Oh, and let's not forget the 6.3 inch Galaxy Mega, the first phone to break the 6 inch barrier. Now, Samsung wants to create a phone as big as the Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch tablet? Why? I mean, a first gen Mega can barely fit in my pocket. Imagine a second gen Mega. Plus, holding it up to your ear to talk looks kinda embarrassing. Why Samsung? Why?

Its not the first phone over 6 inches it's not even the largest phone.

http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z_ultra-5540.php

The Xperia Z Ultra is 6.4" and a year old now

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."