Do you use eBay, under 18?

emachado99

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any minor's here (under 18 years old) use eBay to buy and sell? If you do, do you use your own PayPal and eBay account or a parents? I own a PayPal account and have been using it for close to a year now, and an eBay account which has been open since 2012 but I have never bought or sold anything with it...

The reason why I am asking this is, I was thinking about doing the whole re-sale thing. Buy and resell phones and other electronics as well as accessories. I already have an iPhone 4 I can sell, but here is the thing that's kinda holding me back. I am 14 years old as of right now, and will be turning 15 on July 1st. In order to own a PayPal and eBay account you have to be 18... Well that's great. After owning my eBay for 2 years and my PayPal for close to 1 year, I just find this out last night :P. I have never had an issue with eBay or PayPal with my accounts, my age or them suspending/blocking my account. I have even called PayPal in person about something and they never said a thing. So do you think I should continue on with this buy and sell thing? Because another thing that worries me is that accounts have a 10 items or $1000 per month limit. Which means you can only sell 10 items, or make $1,000 per month before having to call them to request your limitations being raised. Now I have spoken to 2-3 PayPal agents on the phone and 1 agent through email and nothing has happened. Do you I think I'll be find? I really want to do this, so I can earn some money and for something for me to do this summer, because in my area, my paper route ain't really cuttin' it. Plus I am moving at the end of June to another city so I'll loose that job. 

Mind you, I am finding a good handful of videos of teens and kids who have bought and sold on eBay and videos of teens who are making a few hundred to a few thousand a month buying and re-selling. So, thanks for reading my long story :D So post your answers below, and even if your not under 18 you can still leave an opinion or just tell me that you do use eBay or whatever. 

I just use my Dad's account

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

I don't know but this might be a little over-the-line against C.o.C. I could be wrong.

I've used eBay & paypal etc before I had my birthday two weeks ago.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I just use my Dad's account

His PayPal and eBay account?

His PayPal and eBay account?

Yep

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

I don't know but this might be a little over-the-line against C.o.C. I could be wrong.

I've used eBay & paypal etc before I had my birthday two weeks ago.

I am guessing you just turned 18? 

I didnt know people actually worried about this lol i have had an ebay account and paypal since i was like 12 lmao u will be fine.

I am guessing you just turned 18? 

I don't know if you're super speedy or kinda slow (maybe a bit of both) but you don't need to quote me and ask.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I didnt know people actually worried about this lol i have had an ebay account and paypal since i was like 12 lmao u will be fine.

Thanks. It's not so much like I am worried sick or sweating over it I just don't want them finding out and getting pissed off, and then my eBay account is suspended and they like hold or freeze my PayPal funds or something lol 

I'm well over 18 now, but I lied about my age to eBay so that I could use it when I was 13. My mom signed me up for a joint bank account and I walked to the bank one afternoon to request they issue me a debit card.

Smooth sailing since

I can imagine it is against the terms and conditions but I do buy off ebay with my own paypal and ebay account... I am 17. 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

I am much older on my paypal than IRL. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I can imagine it is against the terms and conditions but I do buy off ebay with my own paypal and ebay account... I am 17. 

Yeah, and now that I think about it. Look at all the thousands of videos of kids that show off what they get on eBay and stuff.

I don't know if you're super speedy or kinda slow (maybe a bit of both) but you don't need to quote me and ask.

Or maybe he wanted to give you a notification.

remember how Facebook has/had an 18+ sign up yet 50% of people who use it are under 18... Companies don't care that much, trust me.

Facebook was 13.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

Also, do any of you think it's a good idea to do this re-selling thing on the side? Just want some opinions :).... On a side note I just bought my first ever eBay item :D

Also, do any of you think it's a good idea to do this re-selling thing on the side? Just want some opinions  :).... On a side note I just bought my first ever eBay item  :D

ebay fee's are a bitch. They took 10% of the final sale price for my last few items I listed... So unless you get something DIRT CHEAP, or find someone selling something they don't know what it's worth, I doubt you'll make any money buying and re-selling.

I have never sold anything on ebay but i have had my account since 2005 so i was 17 for a few months when buying things on ebay. I don't think you will have a problem regardless of age. I would guess more problems with paypal than with ebay but if you have a bank account i would assume they arn't going to check your age

Facebook was 13.

you are correct there although lets be honest, facebook is trash. 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

PayPal will sooner or later ask for a proof of address, a credit card statement, a bank account statement and a photo ID. Unless I'm the only unlucky sap here that got hit by that. Your account will be limited but you can still use PayPal to pay for things, you just can't receive any money. My account has been limited for 4 years now, never bothered to do the paper work. I don't have credit card anyhow, I use my parents if I need to and pay with cash.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

i used to use my dads account and then pay him back, but i've got my own now. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016