Water cooling questions

So I have a few questions about water cooling. I tried doing some research on my own but was quickly overwhelmed by contradicting opinions and fanboyism. I know the parts you need. Waterblocks, radiators, pump, reservoir, tubing, fittings etc. I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy. Just wanna keep it simple (no crazy LED's, coolant etc.) and cool my i7-4770K and a GTX 780ti SC, preferably with distilled water and an anti-corrosive.

1. What's better copper, nickel or acetal? Why?

2. Can you combine them? ea. nickle waterblocks and copper radiators.

3. What are the water cooling basics/rules that I absolutely have to know?

4. I think I'm going with XSPC radiators and EKWB waterblocks. Haven't decided on the other parts, recommendations?

5. How thick should the radiators be? Push/Pull on anything past 30mm?

I'm thinking 360mm top, 240mm front, 140 rear. (future 2nd GPU and MoBo cooling)

Thanks for reading!

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

1. Copper because it's the best heat dissapator

2. Yeah. But no aluminium.

3. The res needs to gravity feed the pump aka res over the pump. Nothing in between. Do a 24 h leak test.

4. I went for Hardwarelabs rads and EK waterblocks :) Alsop have a look at the rest of my loop: Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator SR1 360, Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis Radiator GTS 280, 3x Noiseblocker PL1's, 2x Noiseblocker PK1's, Be quiet! Silent Wings 140mm, Monsoon 3/8 ID 5/8 OD matt black fittings, Swiftech MCP 655, 2x EK-FC780 GTX Ti, 2x EK-FC780 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Acetal + Nickel, XSPC Photon 170 Tube Reservoir ,PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT tubeing 3/8 ID 5/8 OD Brillant Blue

5. What ever fits. Also pushpull is pretty useless.

6. Leave out the 140 in  the rear. It's going to make things much easier . 

1. Copper is the best for heat dissipation.

2. It's best not to combine them.

3. Radiator before Pump

4. Bitspower fittings are pretty... but expensive.

5. As thick as you can fit, and go for pull.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

So I have a few questions about water cooling. I tried doing some research on my own but was quickly overwhelmed by contradicting opinions and fanboyism. I know the parts you need. Waterblocks, radiators, pump, reservoir, tubing, fittings etc. I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy. Just wanna keep it simple (no crazy LED's, coolant etc.) and cool my i7-4770K and a GTX 780ti SC, preferably with distilled water and an anti-corrosive.

1. What's better copper, nickel or acetal? Why?

2. Can you combine them? ea. nickle waterblocks and copper radiators.

3. What are the water cooling basics/rules that I absolutely have to know?

4. I think I'm going with XSPC radiators and EKWB waterblocks. Haven't decided on the other parts, recommendations?

5. How thick should the radiators be? Push/Pull on anything past 30mm?

I'm thinking 360mm top, 240mm front, 140 rear. (future 2nd GPU and MoBo cooling)

Thanks for reading!

1. Copper is the base for being the best thermal conductive material it's plated in acetal/nickel which helps the longevity of the card lasting longer. The nickel plating on the copper will prevent corrosion. 
  2. You can connect different blocks & radiators together.
  3. Rule one: alway have the reservoir above to feed the pump so it doesn't dry out. Don't forget to screw in the compression fitting or else your components will get electrified.
  4. xspc and ek are quite mainstream so they're very good and reliable WC brands.
  5. 30mm is standard, most people will try to get a fan with low fins with a larger surface area. Or get a thick rad that will fit with 1 set of decent fans.

What case will you be using to WC?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

go watch SingularityComputers on youtube

he knows everything about watercooling and custom loops, way more than linus

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

go watch SingularityComputers on youtube

he knows everything about watercooling and custom loops, way more than linus

Thanks! He has some interesting videos. Crazy WC builds. 

1. Copper is the base for being the best thermal conductive material it's plated in acetal/nickel which helps the longevity of the card lasting longer. The nickel plating on the copper will prevent corrosion. 
  2. You can connect different blocks & radiators together.
  3. Rule one: alway have the reservoir above to feed the pump so it doesn't dry out. Don't forget to screw in the compression fitting or else your components will get electrified.
  4. xspc and ek are quite mainstream so they're very good and reliable WC brands.
  5. 30mm is standard, most people will try to get a fan with low fins with a larger surface area. Or get a thick rad that will fit with 1 set of decent fans.

What case will you be using to WC?

I'm leaning torwards the 900D.

Thanks! He has some interesting videos. Crazy WC builds. 

Yeah :) He is awesome

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020