Corsair Obsidian 750D vs. CM Storm Trooper?

legend8887

I'm absolutely TORN between these cases. I love them both. I need one of them for upgrades, cooling, etc. Which one? I think I might like the CM Storm Trooper's look better, but what do you think, and why?

Edit: What's wrong with the CM Storm Trooper? It's beautiful. Both are, but why hasn't the CM Storm Trooper gotten any votes?

750D. I used the Trooper for a long time. Terrible cable management, sketchy build quality... Do not recommend.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Obsidian 750d, beautiful with lots of space for everything and extremely good build quality

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Corsair = well designed and good build quality

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I chose the C70 over the Storm Trooper and the NZXT 530 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

750D. I used the Trooper for a long time. Terrible cable management, sketchy build quality... Do not recommend.

Are you able to install a 240mm radiator with push pull on the Storm Trooper?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I'm surprised at the problems people seem to have with the Trooper. I've been using one for about two years through multiple upgrades, and I really like it. It's not perfect, but cable management is okay, the case is solid (I could just about sit on the top with no issues), and the handle on top has been helpful for me more times than I could count. I had no issues with build quality, in fact it's hard for me to work in cheap crappy cases now after working with a good one for a while.

I didn't do any crazy liquid cooling setup in it, so there's that... but it fit my H100i fine, two 780tis, 2 SSDs, 2HDs, plenty of room to spare... I dunno, I like it. When I bought my new PSU I thought about getting an 800D or one of caselab's various monstrosities, but I stuck with the trooper, and I'm glad I did. Did some very minor modding, put in a windowed side, and it looks pretty tits now.

I have the Storm Styker (white version of Trooper) and absoulty love it. Not to mention the "X-dock" it has, I use it to transfer stuff from work I do at home to my work computer (not sure how many people actually use this but i think its great).

Cable management is fine with mine, only have a slight problem due to my thermaltake psu cables being stiff, build quality is great. I'm eventaully going to be watercooling mine, You can put a 220mm or 240mm rad in the top, a 220mm rad on the bottom, a 120mm or 140mm rad on the back.

Are you able to install a 240mm radiator with push pull on the Storm Trooper?

This is about the only problem, the top rad mount you cant do push/pull unless you modify it, have 2 fans outside the case and 2 inside, but you have to remove the handle.

Edit: currently using a Thermaltake 850W psu, my stiff cable problem

750D hands down. Get the case that doesn't look like it belongs to a twelve-year-old.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

The choice between almost any comparison of Corsair products vs other manufacturers, is Corsair.

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Yeah I love my 750D. It's a great case. I have an H110 in mine and the cable management is very nice. With flat black cables it's beautiful.

I currently own the CM Stryker.  I like the design and love the handle bar, that's about it.

Some of the problems I have with my case is that a lot of the screws get stripped easily.  Had an issue with the risers.

Might just be my case, but I have an issue with airflow.  I have two Noctuas 120mm in the front and they have two push air through 2 SSDs and 4 HDDs.  Might be able to solve this if I move the HDDs to the upper bays.  Needless to say, not much gets through.  The one 120mm on the bottom has no obstructions other than a few cables.  Since this is the only form of free airflow, the video cards and back fan basically take it all up.  The top two Noctuas that are attached to a H100, barely get any airflow.  The only way I was able to get any output was to open the side panel and force air into the top half of the case.  Probably going to drill holes in the clear panel so I can put fans there.

Another problem I have is with the HDD bays that can be turned around.  It can be either front to back or side to side.  Front to back brings the airflow inside the PC, but gives the problem stated above if the HDDs are not spaced properly.  Also, the HDDs will be oriented the same way.  This put the SATA ports on the Motherboard fairly close SATA ports on the HDDs.  Made cable management a little cumbersome.  If the bay is oriented side to side, then cable management becomes easier.  However the fans needs to be oriented the same way.

Other than the SATA cables, never had much of an issue with cable management.

So that's my 2 cents.

Had it for more than a year.  Looking into changing it to one of the Obsidian cases.

Fair enough about the build quality but you say this about the cable management each time this case is mentioned and the cable management in the storm stryker is by no means terrible......Is it absolutely awesome? No, but there are tons of cases that have far, far, far worse cable management. There are three rubber holes for cables, quite a few cable tying options....If you can't manage your cables in something like this, I can't imagine what you did 5-7 years ago.....

Fair enough that you like other cases better but you are almost on some kind of crusade here.....

I have plenty of problems with the stryker...I don't like the airflow when there are drives in it, I hate the whole thing where the fans are mounted on the harddrive trays, and the window is too low. But hate just a little objectivity here and look what the person is looking for instead of just bashing it because you grew tired of it or that it wasn't "perfect"....nothing is.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Snip

true cases were worst years ago. True this case doesn't actually have completely terrible cable management, it does have some tie downs box. However, the entire point of the OP asking, what they wanted to know which case we preferred based on our experiences. I gave an honest answer, telling of my experience with the case. I had a terrible time trying to cable manage this case compare to pieces that I have you that are on the market now. Yes it is better than cases in the past, however, that is not what we are comparing dear. This case is not as good as the other case that was mentioned in the post. The cable management is worse, and it is generally just harder to use in my experiences.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Neither  :D  Get the 760T. But out of the two I would get the 750D.The 450D is also worth a look if you want something a little bit smaller.

true cases were worst years ago. True this case doesn't actually have completely terrible cable management, it does have some tie downs box. However, the entire point of the OP asking, what they wanted to know which case we preferred based on our experiences. I gave an honest answer, telling of my experience with the case. I had a terrible time trying to cable manage this case compare to pieces that I have you that are on the market now. Yes it is better than cases in the past, however, that is not what we are comparing dear. This case is not as good as the other case that was mentioned in the post. The cable management is worse, and it is generally just harder to use in my experiences.

Fair enough Darling.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

750W looks nice, I prefer it over the CM trooper. I voted trooper to even out the votes a wee bit because the trooper does have some nice features.

• 7 months later...

Storm Trooper all the way! I don't understand how everyone here is like "it's corsair, so even if I don't own it, I recommand it". Cooler Master builds very high quality cases too... I would never trade my Storm Trooper for anything else. Nice cable management, nice look (to me at least), really sturdy. I would recommand it 100%.