Why we are not getting any AAA PlayStation exclusive titles anymore

Hello guys and girls

I hope u all r doing well

Stay safe and healthy 

(You opinions are highly valuable for me )

As we all we all know it's been a long time but we didn't heard anything about ps exclusives 

Are they dead ? 

2 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

As we all we all know it's been a long time but we didn't heard anything about ps exclusives

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth released in 2024 and is a PS5 exclusive?

Horizon Zero Dawn (Forbidden West) were exclusive to PS4/5 for ~2 years before they were ported to PC.

Most exclusives tend to come out when a console generation is newly released, this generation has been out for a while.

Exclusives are a way to sell a (new) platform, they are not a way to sell more copies of the game.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

Hello guys and girls

I hope u all r doing well

Stay safe and healthy 

(You opinions are highly valuable for me )

Are they dead ? 

Sony figured out they can make more money by including it on PC's.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Sony figured out they can make more money by including it on PC's.

Which seems pretty obvious to me. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

13 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth released in 2024 and is a PS5 exclusive?

Horizon Zero Dawn (Forbidden West) were exclusive to PS4/5 for ~2 years before they were ported to PC.

Most exclusives tend to come out when a console generation is newly released, this generation has been out for a while.

Exclusives are a way to sell a (new) platform, they are not a way to sell more copies of the game.

Thnx for your opinion @Eigenvektor

So will we  get next rachet & clank, ghost of tsushima, last of us...??

Because only 4 more year are left 

19 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

Thnx for your opinion @Eigenvektor

So will we  get next rachet & clank, ghost of tsushima, last of us...??

What do you mean? All of those were exclusive and are now on PC already

5 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

What do you mean? All of those were exclusive and are now on PC already

I mean their next part or sequel , mate 

8 hours ago, Ayush008 said:

Don't know about these games in particular, but I'm sure there will be something exclusive to PS5 Pro.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Don't know about these games in particular, but I'm sure there will be something exclusive to PS5 Pro.

It makes sense to do it that way I think anyway, from a business perspective. Sony is relying on you buying games for their consoles, but in conjunction with the the console itself. 

That is...they sell the console at a loss, such that you buy games and accessories. If they make the games immediately available to PC gamers, those individuals will just buy on that platform, instead of their console.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

32 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It makes sense to do it that way I think anyway, from a business perspective. Sony is relying on you buying games for their consoles, but in conjunction with the the console itself.

Yeah, that's what I meant above. They use exclusives to drive the sale of their console. They need something to make people want to buy them and that means enough interesting games to make it worth a purchase.

Once a game has done it's purpose, they make it non-exclusive to get whatever profit from the game they can elsewhere.

23 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, that's what I meant above. They use exclusives to drive the sale of their console. They need something to make people want to buy them and that means enough interesting games to make it worth a purchase.

Once a game has done it's purpose, they make it non-exclusive to get whatever profit from the game they can elsewhere.

I kinda feel sorry for the studios that entered exclusivity contract sometimes.

The way I see it : The moment they are released from contract, and they port to PC either :

1. They lost the hype already

2. It might allready be considered old (graphically)

On 5/21/2024 at 9:08 PM, Ayush008 said:

Who knows.

Only the studio knows.

I sure wish every studio stop entering exclusivity contract though.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

They are exclusive in the sense that the titles have only one console you can play them on. Including PC expands who would buy the game while nudging people to get a PS5. Only one console exclusivity is basically exclusive(get it?) to Nintendo at this point.

32 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I kinda feel sorry for the studios that entered exclusivity contract sometimes.

I would hope the contract is worthwhile for them, at least on consoles. Anything after the contract is ended is extra income.

That would also explain why some ports are lowest possible effort. They want the extra income, but effectively can't afford any additional costs.

Personally I've bought e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn once it was available, but since I was in no rush and waited for a sale on top of the two year waiting period for a port, it can't have been that lucrative.

I do wonder about PC store exclusives like Control and Alan Wake 2, how much they made on EGS and how much they made (or will make) once they were/are available everywhere else. I assume it's worse than console exclusives in terms of sales during exclusivity.

30 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I would hope the contract is worthwhile for them, at least on consoles. Anything after the contract is ended is extra income.

That would also explain why some ports are lowest possible effort. They want the extra income, but effectively can't afford any additional costs.

Personally I've bought e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn once it was available, but since I was in no rush and waited for a sale on top of the two year waiting period for a port, it can't have been that lucrative.

I do wonder about PC store exclusives like Control and Alan Wake 2, how much they made on EGS and how much they made (or will make) once they were/are available everywhere else. I assume it's worse than console exclusives in terms of sales during exclusivity.

Well, recent news about SquareEnix kinda shows that's not always the case I guess 🤣

And IIRC, SquareEnix has been on PS for a loooong long time. At the very least for their FF series. (more like since they were just SquareSoft)

Last I heard PS exclusivity contract can be quite long. So if its years... then at that point the studio will have to atleast remaster the game, which is more cost and time.

tl;dr : I don't think there's that many people out there that are willing to shell out money to buy a console just to play 1 game. PC is more possible due to PC being able to be utilized for various things.

Spoiler

I don't know about other people, but me... I'm a very avid FF7 fan, lost count how many times I replayed that game on PS (and PC later on). To the point of saying "I hope I can play FF7 in modern graphical glory before I die, if that happens, I will die content" back then.

I still didn't buy a PS when FF7 remake was released, eventhough I was way more than able to afford it. 🤣

Ended up watching a lot of footages, since who knows if it'd be ported or when exactly, which made me know most of the alternate story & gameplay (which kinda annoyed me, cuz IMHO the original story is perfect already).

It made me not so eager on buying it & playing it when it was released on PC.

Ended up buying it only after they slapped 50% discount on it. Only played it around 3 months after buying (steeled myself to push through the iffy part of the alternate story I already knew).

Now let's say if they released it on multi-platform right off the bat...

I'd probably buy a collector's edition if that exist. 🤣

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I don't know about other people, but me... I'm a very avid FF7 fan, lost count how many times I replayed that game on PS (and PC later on).

From what I've seen from FF7 Rebirth, it's a very solid game. I would love to play it, but I'm not gonna buy a console for one game. So I'll play it if/when it ever comes to PC. So in a sense that's one lost or at least very delayed sale.

18 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

From what I've seen from FF7 Rebirth, it's a very solid game. I would love to play it, but I'm not gonna buy a console for one game. So I'll play it if/when it ever comes to PC. So in a sense that's one lost or at least very delayed sale.

Yep agree.  Still haven't bought a PS too. Exclusivity ends at May 29, now it's already May 23. We'll see how long SquareEnix takes.......

I'd rather push through with my cancelled idea of importing life-sized Steel Cloud's sword from Advent Children than buy a console just to play 1 title.

Refresh before you reply

There's plenty of exclusive games, and plenty that are on other consoles, as well as others coming to PC.  Exclusives are a bad thing for everyone except the shareholders of the company with said exclusive.  This means they're bad for you, for me, for the devs, for everyone.