High speed rail in the US?

kasdashd

Will you be riding this new high speed rail line between LA and Vegas when it opens for the 2028 olympics?

The company is already succesful in Florida between Miami and Orlando, where demand is beyond their current capacity.

i know I would, with the extreme traffic congestion on the highway between these 2 cities, and flying being expensive and a pain in the airports.

If I were to take a trip where I wanted to go to both LA and Vegas, sure. 

I’d love to have more options near me. I was looking at buses the other day to get to the city from the suburbs. A drive that would take me 20 minutes buy car would take over an hour by bus, and if I was going to an event in the evening, I don’t think the bus runs late enough to ensure I could get home. There is a single light rail line, but it doesn’t go far enough and seems kind of useless on its own. 

Every time I’ve visited a city with a good rail system I’ve loved it. If I could hop on a train instead of a bus and be to the city in 20 minutes, I’d go down there all the time. But with it being over an hour, or having to deal with traffic and parking costs if I drive, it’s just not worth it. 

I’m in favor of any and all inroads public transit can make in the US. I just wish it didn’t take so long. 

Nice of the US to finally get to building some high speed rails instead of dumb ideas like hyperloop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, BrandonLatzig said:

well no
Because I'm in minnesota

I'm pretty sure they won't discriminate against you. 🙂

28 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Nice of the US to finally get to building some high speed rails instead of dumb ideas like hyperloop.

Or adding more lanes to highways.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

25 minutes ago, Gale said:

You're talking like more lanes alone will fix anything. You can't just add more lanes to a road and expect traffic to lessen, it doesn't work that way. I.E, a certain area has 4 lanes while other will have 3, it's all set in correlation with how many turns out of that lane, and what kind of traffic it gets etc. It's all way more professionally thought than that. See the Japanese highways, like how they have bridges and stuff to even out traffic

As for the high speed rails, all the power to them. U.S uses a crapmetric ton of old rails and old trains, it was about them this was done.

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You're talking like more lanes alone will fix anything.

No, I'm saying the opposite. Adding lanes to a highway is generally a dumb idea.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

8 minutes ago, Gale said:

No, I'm saying the opposite. Adding lanes to a highway is generally a dumb idea.

Yeah I misread that.. my bad, lol. I sometimes read the stuff here too fast...

56 minutes ago, Gale said:

I'm pretty sure they won't discriminate against you. 🙂

1 hour ago, Gale said:

true, but its always a balancing act. We can't use trains for everything everywhere

15 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

true, but its always a balancing act. We can't use trains for everything everywhere

Why we have walking, bicycles, busses, BRT, Tram/Light rail, metro, local, regional, Suburban, and intercity rail as well.

I will be taking the Florida Brightline soon. I have never been able to fly because I am too tall to fly safely in economy, and first class on a plane is too expensive, so I would have to go by car. 

Sadly, intrastate passenger rail will take a long time to become a thing. I just hope the Texas Bullet Train becomes a thing to demonstrate the practicality of high-speed rail.

One of the biggest issues in the U.S. is the acquisition of property for the rail lines. Outside of using current ROW for interstates or large highways, which is its own can of worms, it would be basically impossible to get it worked-out.

It’s one thing when a rail developer is in court with a single property owner trying to get an easement established, but having potentially thousands of those cases lined-up for a long route? Not happening in many states that have strong property-owners rights.

Even using eminent domain powers would be extremely difficult, and it would only take one failure in court to literally and figuratively derail the whole process.

Honestly, outside of small routes I don’t think high-speed rail travel is going to be established nation-wide. Airfare is dirt-cheap and fast, people that like traveling would probably rather road-trip (I’m in this group), and those that just want to get somewhere probably prefer a few hours in a plane.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

12 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

One of the biggest issues in the U.S. is the acquisition of property for the rail lines. Outside of using current ROW for interstates or large highways, which is its own can of worms, it would be basically impossible to get it worked-out.

It’s one thing when a rail developer is in court with a single property owner trying to get an easement established, but having potentially thousands of those cases lined-up for a long route? Not happening in many states that have strong property-owners rights.

Even using eminent domain powers would be extremely difficult, and it would only take one failure in court to literally and figuratively derail the whole process.

Honestly, outside of small routes I don’t think high-speed rail travel is going to be established nation-wide. Airfare is dirt-cheap and fast, people that like traveling would probably rather road-trip (I’m in this group), and those that just want to get somewhere probably prefer a few hours in a plane.

These trains are actually faster than sleeping on the slow ass departure of Boeing's, probably in several cases. I'm all with the TGV experience over any given plane. Well OK, maybe for the case of a Catalina flown by me at 100 feet over a lake, lol... can't say I'm a fan of being at 40.000 feet high...

actually, not everybody take the car to trips. It's most often the hippies that take cars to such long trips outside of rich fellas and their executive sedans... oh and, caravans, yes.

When it comes to travelling really long, most people take the plane. These trains are great for those that are afraid to fly or don't want to afford the plane, etc. Like me...

just recently Russia has cut down their plane tickets to half to U.S. Expect more planes abroad...

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

These trains are actually faster than sleeping on the slow ass departure of Boeing's, probably in several cases. I'm all with the TGV experience over any given plane. Well OK, maybe for the case of a Catalina flown by me at 100 feet over a lake, lol... can't say I'm a fan of being at 40.000 feet high...

actually, not everybody take the car to trips. It's most often the hippies that take cars to such long trips outside of rich fellas and their executive sedans... oh and, caravans, yes.

When it comes to travelling really long, most people take the plane. These trains are great for those that are afraid to fly or don't want to afford the plane, etc. Like me...

just recently Russia has cut down their plane tickets to half to U.S. Expect more planes abroad...

Road trips in cars are extremely common in the U.S., I’ve driven over 800 miles in a day many times. I have been on the TGV a long time ago, I like train travel, but high-speed rail is unrealistic in the U.S. We do have long-distance trains here, but the tickets are expensive and it’s slow, they also have to use the freight line tracks so the travel stops are not always great.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

7 hours ago, Motifator said:

It's most often the hippies that take cars to such long trips outside of rich fellas and their executive sedans... oh and, caravans, yes.

Calm reminder: oftentimes, renting a car and driving the whole way is cheaper than flying, renting a car anyway, and flying back. Maybe if you are traveling from the East Coast to the West Coast, okay, but the rich fellas are going in first class or on a sleeper car on Amtrack if they are into sightseeing(Assuming Amtrack has an applicable route). 

2 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Calm reminder: oftentimes, renting a car and driving the whole way is cheaper than flying, renting a car anyway, and flying back. Maybe if you are traveling from the East Coast to the West Coast, okay, but the rich fellas are going in first class or on a sleeper car on Amtrack if they are into sightseeing(Assuming Amtrack has an applicable route). 

I hate rental car idea once and truly. Our A4 Quattro was a rental and it even had I think a cigar burn out on top next to the sunglass holder under the rear view mirror. It's like somebody literally finished off their cigarette on that spot. Rental cars are also tracked by a cop system for things to not go south, I genuinely think rental is stupid especially if you're renting a good car. The prices increase at subsonic rates then, and you certainly wouldn't want a crap rent a car if you're gonna go 500 km at one go. You also mentioned something about being tall, so that means your changes of snagging rental cars even harder. You'll want something good going and tall roof, so good luck there over the Hertz where I'd assume they'd show you some expensive SUV, lol.

Honestly you can buy some highway capable cars (G37X?) for like $5-10k. If you do this on a basis, just buying an older fancy car will ultimately give you a much better experience than renting BMWs around.

But yeah, these trains are cool... 🙂

6 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You also mentioned something about being tall, so that means your changes of snagging rental cars even harder

Being tall doesn't actually make it harder to get a car that fits. Unless one is 7 feet tall or above, getting a car that fits is pretty straightforward. Get Hertz's manager's special and use the height as all you want for the vehicle to fit(almost all rentals will be decently new and well-kept anyway).

When I am choosing, I lower the seat height(increasing my FOV and the distance between my head and the car's roof), avoid rentals with a sunroof, and get a car with a steering wheel that can adjust forward and back. If the route has sufficient fast chargers, get an EV to take advantage of the electrical system and motor taking up less space than a gas-powered car's engine.

Ironically, pickup trucks and the like have very bad legroom and headroom.

Yeah but I think you're talking towards the typical Hertz's selection of cars.

In where I live, rent a car companies have a copy of most cars... so if I was really tall like you, I would probably have issues with some smaller cabin cars.

I already had issues with some since I'm 6 foot tbh. Been to an older Volvo S60 or something... interior spaciousness was ass.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, kasdashd said:

i know I would, with the extreme traffic congestion on the highway between these 2 cities, and flying being expensive and a pain in the airports.

Hopefully its a better experience than Amtrak. Dont get me wrong Id ride Amtrak again because the thought of doing the airport makes me want to gouge out my eyes. But when coming back from Colorado to Michigan the part between Denver and Chicago was delayed 4 hours. Lucky the connecting train for Chicago to Dearborn Michigan was broke down and was greatly delayed so I was able to catch that train.

To be honest we might get a few projects like this but I doubt we will ever see a nation wide system. We got to many people who think cars equal freedom in this country and who have a can not attitude.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:28 PM, Gale said:

Just one more lane will solve all future traffic problems

Screenshot_20240517-225033.png

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

I just love trains of all kinds and this way of travelling is my first choice whenever possible. The faster the better, of course, but honestly, I don't mind the slower ones either.  

I'm on the Florida Brightline right now on Premium (I got a good deal for my seat). It is so much less stressful than on the Florida Turnpike and has much more legroom. The food at the lounge and on the train *chef's kiss* is so good.

If you ever can, I would highly recommend trying it. 

16 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

food at the lounge and on the train *chef's kiss* is so good.

Thats kinda funny. Because the Food served in the food car of Amtrak's California Zepher I swear is made by a Michilan Star Chef the food was some of the best I had.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats kinda funny. Because the Food served in the food car of Amtrak's California Zepher I swear is made by a Michilan Star Chef the food was some of the best I had.

Food on Via Rail in Canada is actually pretty good as well.