$1500 worth of computer hardware from newegg stolen from UPS office, what do I do?

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

no... they are not deputized.

Why are you against also filing a police report, no one here has said, file one INSTEAD of other actions, we have said AS WELL AS. There is no increased risk unless OP is lying about the theft. Again, a police report is not involving the police. Its makeing a legal statement, on paper. Without a police report, one can argue you were not stolen from, because there is no report of it

Bud, haven't you ever heard of "an eye for an eye?" We don't need no stinking police. All they'll do is give us the paperwork that the bank is going to require. Much best to handle it on our own in the streets.

I hope the sarcasm is very evident. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

38 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

not in usa if its under like 5000 or 9000 value.

they do have a certain level of authority. again semantics.

im not against it. by all means go ahead and do it. its just a waste of time. for the amount of 1500. OP will get the same results with or without a piece of paper that says he spoke with the police. without it will be faster. and he wont end up in some police data base that he once filed a report. why are you so against in not calling the police. its a waste of time and can cause more issues and delays for the OP. the bank has protections for stuff like this. why not take advantage of it get get your money back the FASTEST way possible.

they don't require it for the amount of 1500.

And how do you know this? Like, the bank THEY use does not require certain filing for the bank to give them $1500 back? Lol, a dream world with fantasies.

I can ensure you no bank out there is going to fund you $1500 just by "yeah bro gib $1500 cause my stuff was stolen".

This is indeed theft if it is real, and as to how it'll be handled, is up to the OP. But since they've come to LTT to ask people about it, I'm almost sure the parts are long gone and so is his money. With the new owner laughing their way out of it. Seems to me like the OP is very unprofessional about this with no replies to the thread and just a NOW WHAT DO I DO question... yeah.

26 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

i know this because i use to work at a credit card processing place that dealt with stuff exactly like this. the minimum about to require a police report is 10000 or some places maybe 5000. there are consumer protection laws in the united states to protect consumers from stuff like this.  the days of eye for an eye are long gone. now that is something that the police will actually do something about.

I would advise the OP to talk to their bank about specifics. Even if we assume OP is in the US, there are 50 states with different laws and different banks can have different rules. Those rules also can have changed. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

This isn't a bank problem or a NewEgg problem, it's a UPS problem.

UPS effed up by releasing the package to someone other than the designated recipient. First stop should be the UPS Store, to dispute the delivery and file a claim. You've got a better chance than if you had it delivered to your home and it got porch pirated. But even if not-you disappeared into the night with your package, UPS should reimburse you the cost of goods.

Going nuclear with a chargeback or payment dispute with the bank as the first step may just get your account flagged as a problem buyer on NewEgg's side. All they're going to see is a successful delivery followed by a chargeback. Once your package left their warehouse, it became UPS's responsibility to get it into your hands.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

This isn't a bank problem or a NewEgg problem, it's a UPS problem.

UPS effed up by releasing the package to someone other than the designated recipient. First stop should be the UPS Store, to dispute the delivery and file a claim. You've got a better chance than if you had it delivered to your home and it got porch pirated. But even if not-you disappeared into the night with your package, UPS should reimburse you the cost of goods.

Going nuclear with a chargeback or payment dispute with the bank as the first step may just get your account flagged as a problem buyer on NewEgg's side. All they're going to see is a successful delivery followed by a chargeback. Once your package left their warehouse, it became UPS's responsibility to get it into your hands.

Correct, as far as NewEgg is concerned they DID deliver it to OP, a charge back looks very scummy on their end because all documentation currently shows they did everything right. At some point a charge back may be necessary, but UPS and a police report to tell UPS that was not your signature need to happen first. 

8 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

that is exactly what im telling the op. in us though there are federal consumer laws that cover all 50 states.

charge back is not the same as dispute. i explained this above. also ups did NOT deliver according to the OP. he went to the USPS post office and they told him they gave it to someone else. which newegg should either refund him or send him new goods. if not then the OP should dispute the transaction which is not the same as a chargeback.

UPS and USPS are two different groups. Im now wondering if that is what you meant by UPS having a police force. that is USPS. NOT UPS

according to OP it was not delivered, cool, who cares? The documentation currently shows it was delivered with a signature signing for it proving it was delivered to the person. OP needs to document that claim with legal risk, rather then just saying that to get things to a resolution. Charging back newegg is not the correct first step here, newegg did not commit theft or misrepresent what was sent. 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:07 AM, Erioch said:

I've been to several UPS stores/offices and none of the boxes were just laying around.  Perhaps someone saw the UPS note on his door and used the info to go retrieve it.

This is the most likely reason.

At the building I'm at (which has dozens of floors) Fedex still ding-dong-ditches with "sorry we missed you" door hangers that they stick on the window beside the entrance. One of these has been sitting there since April 29th. It's now 10 days later. That's more than enough time for someone to take a photo of the hanger, look up the code on the website and try and get it from the place the tracking says it was dropped off.

Both Fedex and UPS are extremely poor at delivering to residential addresses in BC, and will likely force you to go pick up the parcel at the depot 2 miles away than actually deliver it. Canada Post, likewise will "lose packages" and their support options are basically "get stuck in chatbot hell telling you to to pick it up at your concierge" that you don't have.

In an ideal situation, if you live in any kind of MDU (any building with more than 1 legal unit) there should be a designated location for parcels to be delivered to. If the building has a rental office (good rental buildings have one) then having the rental office be allowed to sign for packages should be an option rather than having the couriers ding dong ditch and not try to deliver anything.

Because your package is more likely to be stolen at the depot because some of these depots aren't owned or operated by the courier, they're merely a place authorized/outsourced to leave parcels at. These can be convenience stores, pharmacies, copy shops, and the people who work there don't have any loyalty to the courier. 

Ultimately the fault lies with the courier, and technically it should be newegg filing the claim if you paid for it, because until you receive it, technically newegg still is in possession of it. Newegg's going to be the one to eat the loss if you chargeback.

All of this BS is exactly why I have any and all expensive items, UPS, FedEx, Amazon and USPS boxes shipped to my workplace.

All deliveries are handed to me directly from the driver.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI