NAS Build Recommendations

So, lately I've been wanting to create a redundancy in my backup (finally), which currently sits only in Google Drive/Photos. I've seen around my area (Northern Italy) that I can get an I7 7700, 16GB RAM, GTX1650/1070 for around 200€( around 240 freedom dollars). 

I want it mainly as a backup and maybe a Plex server (although I'm not sure I would use it, since I use mainly streaming services). I wish I could connect it to the internet, but where I live the internet is very limited (it's 100-150MB/s but it's over 4G and has a data cap of less than 1TB. I'll probably do 

Would that hardware be enough for my needs? Is TrueNAS the best option to set it up? Other considerations? 

I also do some photo/video editing, nothing crazy, would I be able to locally work in files inside the NAS if I use RAID 4? 

Yea that hardware would be more than enough here. I'd take that GPU out to save power.

What disk config are you using? TrueNAS is probably a good pick.

You probably won't use raid4 as its basically obselete now. I'd use Raid 5/6 here or the ZFS version or raidz1/z2 in TrueNAS>

No clue on the disks yet, probably some cheap brand new HDD for longevity(from either Seagate or Western Digital that are brands I trust). How many disks would I need for your suggested config?

The performance hit would be too big from an SSD? What balances better longevity/price/performance? 

Getting out the GPU wouldn't hit the Plex performance? 

6 hours ago, vbailo said:

No clue on the disks yet, probably some cheap brand new HDD for longevity(from either Seagate or Western Digital that are brands I trust). How many disks would I need for your suggested config?

At least 3 drives would be required for a RAID Z1/RAID 5 setup, and at least 4 for RAID 6/Z2.

It should also be noted that the market of affordable hard drives has been flooded with SMR-recorded ones, and it's ideal to pick up Seagate SkyHawk or WD Purple series, both of which guarantee CMR recording with reasonable pricing.

The performance hit would be too big from an SSD? What balances better longevity/price/performance? 

Performance of SSD-based storage would be limited by way slower Ethernet connections, i.e. 2.5GbE or slower. 10GbE is a good starting point, but would require additional costs.

Grab larger enterprise-grade hard drives, such as Seagate Exos or WD Ultrastar, starting from 8TB, for balanced longevity/price/performance. SSDs are faster and actually more durable than hard drives, but with way higher costs in TB/$ ratio, while smaller hard drives have compromised performance and durability (just compare them through their published datasheets).

Getting out the GPU wouldn't hit the Plex performance? 

The integrated GPU (HD 630) in Core i7-7700 is efficient enough for 4K transcoding of up to 2 streams in Plex. If there are more than 2 users watching together, consider installing the discrete GPU with the HD 630 iGPU kept enabled in BIOS settings.