Do Canon cameras break easily or are planned to break?

Hi. I'm considering getting a camera. I want to get a Canon camera (R100 mirrorless) but I've heard that Canon cameras break easily or break after a few uses. Of course, I think it could be because the owners mistreating their cameras but I'd like to know

1. If this is true

2. If it is true, does it apply to their mirrorless units too?

I woudln't say this is true. Haven't heard much to confirm this, and the 4 canon bodies Ive used are still working well(30d, 7d, 5d4, r5). Generally I'd say there pretty tough bodies that can be abused pretty hard. I have mostly used the high end models that are likely built better though.

Typically the r100 isn't reccomended as its pretty cut down compard to the next tier up, but really depends on the needs.

I don't know of anyone with problems with Canon gear as long as it doesn't get dropped.  They are generally precision equipment and are not tolerant of falls onto hard surfaces from even short distances.  I have a Rebel T1i (500d) that I bought new in 2010 and it's still going strong for me.  The lower end lenses from Canon are made with a lot of plastic parts.  Even their high end L Glass series lenses are easy to damage if roughed around though.  I had my camera and EF 24-104 F4L lens on my motorcycle when I crashed in 2016 and the camera survived but the lens broke internally that it would no longer focus.

my dad owns some super fancy canon camera that's prehistoric by today's standards, and it hasnt missed a beat.

on that note.. pro tier cameras are very sensitive pieces of precision hardware, they're not toys.. treating them as a toy will break them fast, no matter the brand.

1 hour ago, Caveman0407 said:

Hi. I'm considering getting a camera. I want to get a Canon camera (R100 mirrorless) but I've heard that Canon cameras break easily or break after a few uses. Of course, I think it could be because the owners mistreating their cameras but I'd like to know

1. If this is true

2. If it is true, does it apply to their mirrorless units too?

No moreso than other top brands of cameras. Treat it well, it will last.

Idk about the latest stuff but I still have a Canon AE-1 and a A-1 that both work perfectly and they are like.... 50 years old?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I woudln't say this is true. Haven't heard much to confirm this, and the 4 canon bodies Ive used are still working well(30d, 7d, 5d4, r5). Generally I'd say there pretty tough bodies that can be abused pretty hard. I have mostly used the high end models that are likely built better though.

Typically the r100 isn't reccomended as its pretty cut down compard to the next tier up, but really depends on the needs.

I forgor that R50 exists and it's about 650 here. I might buy that instead of R100. 

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

No moreso than other top brands of cameras. Treat it well, it will last.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

my dad owns some super fancy canon camera that's prehistoric by today's standards, and it hasnt missed a beat.

on that note.. pro tier cameras are very sensitive pieces of precision hardware, they're not toys.. treating them as a toy will break them fast, no matter the brand.

I have a theory that because Canon cameras are the most bought cameras, it makes sense that more cameras are likely to be broken. And also, I don't exactly know what the owners did with their cameras so maybe also they don't know how to take care of cameras and drop them or get them wet or something.

3 hours ago, Caveman0407 said:

I have a theory that because Canon cameras are the most bought cameras, it makes sense that more cameras are likely to be broken. And also, I don't exactly know what the owners did with their cameras so maybe also they don't know how to take care of cameras and drop them or get them wet or something.

In a sense, it's similar to seeing HDD failure rates where Seagate tends to come out on top as they are the most popular due to their $/GB. I have a 6DMkII, 1DXII, 5DSr and a 7DMk.II and I haven't had them break. I have seen a broken 70-200mm f/4L IS USM where the manual focus ring does not work when bringing the focus closer when I was in the process of buying it used and took a hard no on it as the seller was trying to say it wasn't broken. 

As @vf1000ride said, these are precision instruments that don't take drops/falls without really screwing something up internally. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

In a sense, it's similar to seeing HDD failure rates where Seagate tends to come out on top as they are the most popular due to their $/GB. I have a 6DMkII, 1DXII, 5DSr and a 7DMk.II and I haven't had them break. I have seen a broken 70-200mm f/4L IS USM where the manual focus ring does not work when bringing the focus closer when I was in the process of buying it used and took a hard no on it as the seller was trying to say it wasn't broken. 

I think I had that exact same issue on a 70-200 f4 L IS. Sent it off to canon for repairs and it works fine now. Might be a known issue on the lens it seems. I think the repair was like 200-300 usd.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think I had that exact same issue on a 70-200 f4 L IS. Sent it off to canon for repairs and it works fine now. Might be a known issue on the lens it seems. I think the repair was like 200-300 usd.

Yeah I had not known of any issues with this lens model at the time I was looking at this copy of it and just by being unsure made me back out of purchasing. After going home and researching it, it does appear that others had the same issue and is involved with the focus assembly and quoted a repair tag just as much as yours. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I haven't heard of any issues surrounding their cameras. My dad is a professional photographer and our Canon cameras have been very reliable. He bought a 5D mark ii back when it was new in 2008, and it's still one of the cameras he uses on a daily basis. I even bought one used a couple years ago for making videos, and it holds up incredibly well in 2024.

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of cameras from any of the common brands. Just be careful with it (as you should with any camera), and it will last a long time.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Own 3 Canon bodies, took them on safari to africa, dropped one in the back of a truck with a 70-200 on it, works a treat.  These things are made to take some abuse, they're professional tools, canon doesnt design stuff that can only work consistently in a studio on a tripod.