I9 14900K Temp Throttling - Undervolting & BSOD...

auggiepoo

Hi all,

Been experiencing some unreasonably high temps while gaming. Even with lowered settings, games like overwatch push the cpu close to 100° C.

I'm aware that the newer cards run very hot, so I purchased a new cooler but in my impatience I looked to other solutions. Something I did notice was that the MSI default wattage was unlocked; so I followed some tips to change my cooler type to set a lower cap. Even though I have an AIO, I changed it to something with a lower wattage. I followed the rest of the tips in this video to help reduce temps: 

After saving and closing the BIOS, I was stuck in a BSOD loop. I tried reverting the settings and the problem persists. I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to messing with these values, so any feedback on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

MOBO: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI

CPU: I9 14900K

GPU: NVIDIA 4070TI

RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB

CPU COOLER: CM ML360

PSU: 850W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD

2 minutes ago, auggiepoo said:

Even with lowered settings, games like overwatch push the cpu close to 100° C

That's weird. Does your CPU cooler even works? Check if fans are spinning and stuff... Did you removed the sticker from it? Is thermal paste applied correctly?

2 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Did you take off the plastic on the bottom of your CPU cooler? Maybe check that. 

Yep haha. One of the first things I double-checked when I upgraded cpu's and noticed how hot this thing was running.

1 minute ago, NinKorr said:

That's weird. Does your CPU cooler even works? Check if fans are spinning and stuff... Did you removed the sticker from it? Is thermal paste applied correctly?

Hey there, yea the cooler works, fans are spinning, sticker is off, and thermal paste is applied generously and correctly. I don't seem to be alone in the temperature throttling problem, just can't find any answers as to why I can't escape the blue screen after trying some solutions.

if you don't set the max to 253w by intel spec to the cpu you will need a full custom loop to cool it. 

8 minutes ago, auggiepoo said:

I tried reverting the settings and the problem persists.

Just to check, was this by a clear CMOS or did you just try changing everything you set to auto again? If it was auto, you may have just forgotten to set something, and a Clear CMOS (effectively resetting the BIOS to factory settings) will hopefully fix this. 

If not, RMA the CPU. The 14900K in particular is known for having fairly bad QC, so odds are you just got a bad chip. 

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

if you don't set the max to 253w by intel spec to the cpu you will need a full custom loop to cool it. 

This was the change I was trying to make:/

Once I did, I got stuck in BSOD hell

1 minute ago, auggiepoo said:

Yep haha. One of the first things I double-checked when I upgraded cpu's and noticed how hot this thing was running.

Well, I had to be sure. Sometimes there are a lot of background programs running in your PC, which can cause your CPU to reach higher temps, so maybe close em. Like Ronothan said, if you can't resolve the CPU, try RMAing it.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Just to check, was this by a clear CMOS or did you just try changing everything you set to auto again? If it was auto, you may have just forgotten to set something, and a Clear CMOS (effectively resetting the BIOS to factory settings) will hopefully fix this. 

If not, RMA the CPU. The 14900K in particular is known for having fairly bad QC, so odds are you just got a bad chip. 

Hey there, everything was on auto initially. Once I realized the wattage was uncapped is when I went down the rabbit hole and started changing things. Will try to clear CMOS and see if that works. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, auggiepoo said:

This was the change I was trying to make:/

Once I did, I got stuck in BSOD hell

try to follow this one?  

and this is the spec you need to follow. https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products/platforms/details/raptor-lake-s/13th-generation-core-processors-datasheet-volume-1-of-2/processor-line-thermal-and-power-specifications/