do i need to do anything like format or something with a new ssd before/during installing window 10?

EzioWar
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

The installer usually needs to be on one form or another during installation or am I remembering wrong again? As you can't choose GPT or MBR during installation?

You boot from the installer USB, it'll see the blank drive as unpartitioned/free space, you select that and continue, and it formats as GPT and makes all 3 partitions it wants on its own. 

Hi, i'm fresh installing windows 10 on a brand new unused m.2 ssd, do i need to do anything like format or something with that ssd before/during installing that window 10?

Set it to either GPT or MBR partitioning type I think is needed. GPT far superior (modern), MBR is not advised, only for compatibility with ancient systems.

Can do it in disk management in Windows tools, or in some 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard or something like it.

I edit my posts more often than not

No, just select the free space in the installer and it'll do what's needed on its own.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Set it to either GPT or MBR partitioning type I think is needed. GPT far superior (modern), MBR is not advised, only for compatibility with ancient systems.

How do i do that?

1 minute ago, EzioWar said:

How do i do that?

Can do it in disk management in Windows tools, or in some 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard or something like it. Needs access to a PC with OS or some "rescue disc" I think.

Usually the new disks come GPT from factory? Honestly don't know, they might be GPT already.

5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Can do it in disk management in Windows tools, or in some 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard or something like it.

They are installing Windows fresh, you don't need any of this to do that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Can do it in disk management in Windows tools, or in some 3rd party tool like Minitool Partition Wizard or something like it. Needs access to a PC with OS or some "rescue disc" I think.

Usually the new disks come GPT from factory? Honestly don't know, they might be GPT already.

Disks do NOT come formatted from the factory...

Just let the windows installer deal with it

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

They are installing Windows fresh, you don't need any of this to do that.

Noted.

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Just let the windows installer deal with it

The installer usually needs to be on one form or another during installation or am I remembering wrong again? As you can't choose GPT or MBR during installation?

Though if they come GPT from factory there is no reason to worry anyway.

Edit (again): if the disk is in MBR, then this might help:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style?view=windows-11

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Noted.

All good, yah for new disks added to an existing install then yes you need to format in Windows though and add a drive letter as you said🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You boot from the installer USB, it'll see the blank drive as unpartitioned/free space, you select that and continue, and it formats as GPT and makes all 3 partitions it wants on its own. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2