"Accursed Farm", Ross, a youtuber's UK petition to stop publishers from killing games we paid for.

Mumintroll

I just want to spread the word about a gamer and youtuber that is doing a good effort about the question of game ownership, and what happens to games we have paid for no longer get supported by publisher.

One of the recent games that got killed is The Crew, published by Ubisoft. Other youtubers have made videos about this and other games and media aswell, that customers have paid for but can no longer access or use.

This fellow have done more than just created a video about it. You can watch his effort at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w70Xc9CStoE .

He also just posted that a Goverment petition is up and is requiring signatures. So if you're a gamer living in UK you can check and sign here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/659071/ .

I wonder though how far this will get, but atleast it's something and perhaps it'll create some rings in the water.

Honestly I think we have the best chance of going through the Aussie courts. They are pretty hardcore on consumer protection. If we can get them to require a company open source a hosting package upon spinning down a non-mmo game, that would fix it globally

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

if its allowed for games why not for cars, appliances,  houses, etc?

after "unspecified" time your shit will just stop working arbitrarily and you need to buy a new one. capitalism baby,  sign me up! 

(yeah, that gamers put up with this for so long really says more about them than about the predatory game makers...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

if its allowed for games why not for cars, appliances,  houses, etc?

after "unspecified" time your shit will just stop working arbitrarily and you need to buy a new one. capitalism baby,  sign me up! 

(yeah, that gamers put up with this for so long really says more about them than about the predatory game makers...)

You cannot compare video games with cars.

A single-player game that still require online connection all time, that will cease to function when the publisher decides it.

A car that will (usually) break after wear and tear?

I don't get it why you are defending this crap that publishers are doing to custormers?

If you pay for something you don't want the reseller to just take it back without any refund, or do you?