autofs vs systemd automount

I'm used to using automount, and it's reinforced by the fact that I use it in my job.

Just curious to know which one you prefer, and if there's performance benefit of one over the other?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I stated using systemd automount just because I don't particularly enjoy the autofs syntax and my needs be simple.

Autofs is still a great tool though.

8 hours ago, 10leej said:

I stated using systemd automount just because I don't particularly enjoy the autofs syntax and my needs be simple.

I get the fact that its formatted just like any other systemd service, but 2 files to make automount work seems complicated?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

Mobile devices

On 4/15/2024 at 9:38 PM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I'm used to using automount, and it's reinforced by the fact that I use it in my job.

Just curious to know which one you prefer, and if there's performance benefit of one over the other?

As far as I know there is no way to guarantee a mount with autofs, meanwhile systemd mount units can be used as a dependency for other systemd units / services.

Outside of that I don't think there are any other major differences apart from how they are configured.

2 hours ago, Arokan said:

What's wrong with fstab?^^

fstab on its own is nothing more than a common file to provide a quick way to manage mounts, in the case of systemd it's managed by systemd-fstab-generator which generates mount / automount units. So for systemd automount the additional fstab option would be x-systemd.automount.

using autofs does however remove the ability to manage automounts via fstab.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:37 PM, Nayr438 said:

As far as I know there is no way to guarantee a mount with autofs, meanwhile systemd mount units can be used as a dependency for other systemd units / services.

huh. Never thought of that TBH.

I do have a service in my server that's using contents in an external drive.

Desktop

Mobile devices

• 2 weeks later...

Been using autofs for 5 or 6 months now, to mount the nfs shares for my Plex server.

It has been awesome. Set and forget essentially.

I choose it since there were some pretty good youtube vids on the subject that fit my needs. That and the ability to auto connect and disconnect helps.