Pc display frozen, booting up problems also.

Hi all, 

Today when i powered my pc up everything was fine. I hopped onto my games to enjoy for a bit when randomly my pc dies. I check the power to the rest of the house and it is on. My pc then starts up, dies, starts up again without any problems. I’ve seen these being normal in a past thread however for me once this cycle has repeated the screen then freezes and no inputs are displayed on my monitor. I’ve cleaned it completely hoping the dust was making then cpu/gpu overheat and power off, but the problem still persists. Any thoughts of what could be causing this? 

Edit -

I unplugged and re plugged in my mouse to try and make an input and since no power is being supplied to it. I have done the same with my USB mic and keyboard, neither of which are getting power. 

Edited by Ben02948563

When it "dies" is it just turning off? When it does, does it stay off? Or does it turn back on, on it's own? Sounds like a faulty power supply or other hardware issue.

What are your full system specs?

Also does it freeze when in bios? Or only when in Windows?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

22 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

When it "dies" is it just turning off? When it does, does it stay off? Or does it turn back on, on it's own? Sounds like a faulty power supply or other hardware issue.

What are your full system specs?

Also does it freeze when in bios? Or only when in Windows?

Hi, It first died whilst i was playing my game, once the fans had partially stopped spinning it then started up again. The only time i’ve got it into windows it has then said it wasn’t booted correctly and requires a restart. From that restart it boots into windows and then promptly freezes/repeats its turning off cycle.

I’m not 100% on all my specs however as i built it along time ago and it was a gift from my parents. The only ones i know 100% is my GPU which is a 3060 and my CPU which is a i7 13700k, the power supply is an 850watt bronze by EV3A 

motherboard i don’t know apart from it is ASUS branded and my ram is DDR5 32gb (non branded as my father got it from his work) 

Forgot to mention that yes it freezes whilst trying to get to bios but hasn’t yet frozen in bios, however keeps turning off and on again randomly whilst in bios. 

4 minutes ago, Ben02948563 said:

Hi, It first died whilst i was playing my game, once the fans had partially stopped spinning it then started up again. The only time i’ve got it into windows it has then said it wasn’t booted correctly and requires a restart. From that restart it boots into windows and then promptly freezes/repeats its turning off cycle.

I’m not 100% on all my specs however as i built it along time ago and it was a gift from my parents. The only ones i know 100% is my GPU which is a 3060 and my CPU which is a i7 13700k, the power supply is an 850watt bronze by EV3A 

motherboard i don’t know apart from it is ASUS branded and my ram is DDR5 32gb (non branded as my father got it from his work) 

Forgot to mention that yes it freezes whilst trying to get to bios but hasn’t yet frozen in bios, however keeps turning off and on again randomly whilst in bios. 

If it's doing all of this in bios as well, that rules out software. It's most likely one of three issues. Typically this would be either the Power Supply, Ram, or Motherboard. In order to troubleshoot and figure out which one you would need to test new or known working parts in the system, if you have hardware troubleshooting experience as well as the necessary parts handy, great, I can recommend you what to test next. If not and it would be difficult for you to get the parts needed for testing I'd recommend taking it into a shop or professional.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If it's doing all of this in bios as well, that rules out software. It's most likely one of three issues. Typically this would be either the Power Supply, Ram, or Motherboard. In order to troubleshoot and figure out which one you would need to test new or known working parts in the system, if you have hardware troubleshooting experience as well as the necessary parts handy, great, I can recommend you what to test next. If not and it would be difficult for you to get the parts needed for testing I'd recommend taking it into a shop or professional.

We are going to take one stick of ram out at a time and see if one has a fault, 

if it is faulty. if that is clear then we will try the power supply.

Do you know of any tests for the power supply?

Edit - The ram isn’t the problem, however has died 3 times during the bios ‘mem test’ with the fourth time not making it to the test itself. 

Edited by Ben02948563

8 minutes ago, Ben02948563 said:

We are going to take one stick of ram out at a time and see if one has a fault, 

if it is faulty. if that is clear then we will try the power supply.

Do you know of any tests for the power supply?

The only way to test the power supply itself would be to use a PSU Tester(inexpensive on Amazon) or trying a different power supply in the system and seeing if it still has the some problem. There is a home test using a paperclip to jump the power supply but that is only to see if the fan spins up and it powers on. In your situation you would need to know if it is supplying the proper amount of power per connector. 

You could reset the Bios,

You could reseat and replug everything carefully,

(you could try without the gpu, with the igpu, just because you can)

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 minute ago, leclod said:

You could reset the Bios,

You could reseat and replug everything carefully,

(you could try without the gpu, with the igpu, just because you can)

We have removed the gpu only to discover my cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics. but have ruled the gpu out as it can display bios perfectly fine  

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The only way to test the power supply itself would be to use a PSU Tester(inexpensive on Amazon) or trying a different power supply in the system and seeing if it still has the some problem. There is a home test using a paperclip to jump the power supply but that is only to see if the fan spins up and it powers on. In your situation you would need to know if it is supplying the proper amount of power per connector. 

Before we jump the power supply, my dad thinks it could be a thermal cutoff? as it seems to be okay to run bios for a while longer then it does when a test is being done/repairing/booting windows. 

2 minutes ago, Ben02948563 said:

We have removed the gpu only to discover my cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics. but have ruled the gpu out as it can display bios perfectly fine  

so you have a 13700KF

I'm willing to swim against the current.

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

so you have a 13700KF

If that means it doesn’t have intergrated graphics then yes. I’m not very good with my components if your couldn’t tell 😂

9 minutes ago, Ben02948563 said:

Before we jump the power supply, my dad thinks it could be a thermal cutoff? as it seems to be okay to run bios for a while longer then it does when a test is being done/repairing/booting windows. 

Just to reiterate, jumping the power supply won't do anything for you. It's strictly a test to see if the power supply works by turning it on. Yours is, it's not a test for figuring out why the computer turns off. You'll also want to make sure the power supply is outside of the case and or unplugged from everything if you do the jumper test. If it is a thermal cutoff it's going to be CPU or GPU, it should show what temps your CPU is running at while you are in bios. If you can see that metric, what is the temp while in bios?

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Just to reiterate, jumping the power supply won't do anything for you. It's stictly a test to see if the power supply works by turning it on. Yours is, it's not a test for figuring out why the computer turns off. You'll also want to make sure the power supply is outside of the case and or unplugged from everything if you do the jumper test. If it is a thermal cutoff it's going to be CPU or GPU, it should show what temps your CPU is running at while you are in bios. If you can see that metric, what is the temp while in bios?

The CPU temperature seems to idle at around 25degrees celsius, but we didn’t find a GPU temperature and right now it’s got the power supply removed so we won’t be able to find that out for a little while. Usually it sits at around 40-65 degrees celsius depending on the load it is taking though. 

Just now, Ben02948563 said:

The CPU temperature seems to idle at around 25degrees celsius, but we didn’t find a GPU temperature and right now it’s got the power supply removed so we won’t be able to find that out for a little while. Usually it sits at around 40-65 degrees celsius depending on the load it is taking though. 

Those are normal temperatures, so it's likely not a thermal issue. The GPU will not show temps in BIOS, only in Windows.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Those are normal temperatures, so it's likely not a thermal issue. The GPU will not show temps in BIOS, only in Windows.

Okay that’s good. My dad is getting his power supply out of his pc now so we can test to see if it is the power supply rather then the motherboard.