Fans Stuck at 100%

Quarpet

Hey y’all I have a weird DTX board I am going to use to run a Minecraft server and for some reason both the cpu fan (PWM) and the chassis fan (DC) are stuck at 100% all the time. 

There is no fan control in the BIOS except for setting a target CPU temp? Neither Fan Control nor Speedfan could control the fans either just full bore all the time. 

Any solutions? I would update the bios but this board is super weird. I can’t even find the manufacturer, this is an old Newegg listing for it  
https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-07JP-24KK5

I originally had an 80mm exhaust fan but it was so loud I switched to a single 120mm intake instead. The system is just an i5-2400 so nothing crazy just need some air flow. 

Any advice appreciated 

5 minutes ago, Quarpet said:

Hey y’all I have a weird DTX board I am going to use to run a Minecraft server and for some reason both the cpu fan (PWM) and the chassis fan (DC) are stuck at 100% all the time. 

There is no fan control in the BIOS except for setting a target CPU temp? Neither Fan Control nor Speedfan could control the fans either just full bore all the time. 

Any solutions? I would update the bios but this board is super weird. I can’t even find the manufacturer, this is an old Newegg listing for it  
https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-07JP-24KK5

I originally had an 80mm exhaust fan but it was so loud I switched to a single 120mm intake instead. The system is just an i5-2400 so nothing crazy just need some air flow. 

Any advice appreciated 

I suspect it has to do with the fan headers and the fans you're using.

3 pin fan headers are DC only control, where it'll adjust fan speed by lowering the DC voltage to them.

4 pin fan headers can do DC control (when set to that or a 3 pin fan is plugged in) and PWM control. PWM keeps the voltage at 100% but then uses the 4th pin to modulate that 12V to attenuate the speed. It effectively turns the fan off at certain increments to reduce the overall power to the fan, which reduces its RPM.

I'd confirm some of this information first to see if it lies in a hardware configuration issue before diving deep into the UEFI/BIOS.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Get like an 800-1000 RPM 120mm fan, that should be low on noise. As for the cpu, the stock intel cooler and fan should be fine.

Do what @Agallsuggested first.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

I'd advise ditching the platform entirely. It's ancient. 
If you're dead set on fixing it, you could use a fanhub of somesort, or even grafting a trimpot or just straight resistor into the power line

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 4/15/2024 at 11:17 AM, OddOod said:

I'd advise ditching the platform entirely. It's ancient. 
If you're dead set on fixing it, you could use a fanhub of somesort, or even grafting a trimpot or just straight resistor into the power line

I know it's old, it was also very cheap and doing nothing so I was trying to give it a purpose. 

It not so much that it doesn't work, it was just loud, swapped out the fan for a 120mm and its much more tolerable now. The only thing holding me back now is Spectrum. For some god forsaken reason the computer will not show up in the spectrum app when connected through the onboard networking so there is no way to enable port forwarding with the spectrum router unless I install a wifi card. But that's a question for a different thread.