Thermal Putty vs Thermal Pads: Comparison Chart

It just dawned on me that I haven't posted this information here yet, so here goes.....

Thermal Putties have come a long way in the last few years. For starters, TG-PP10 got discontinued which was a huge blow at the time since that was the go to putty for quite a while amoung cooling enthusiats. It was that event that spurred me on to find a viable replacement. I've since spent thousands of dollars buying different putties, pads, pastes, and phase change materials to test out their realtive performance. Below is the current chart for where I'm at in my testing. Currently working on testing thermal pads and will do shims after I've got a good amount of pads on the chart. Let me know if there is a thermal pad you'd like me to test.

...also, if you know of a thermal putty that isn't on the chart I'd love to know about it. Gotta test em all!

Test Bench:
==========
-Vertical open air frame, with GPU mounted Vertically
-Superflower Leadex III 850 watt Gold

-ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wifi

-AMD Ryzen 5900X
-4x8GB G.Skill 3200MHz 16-18-18-38

-Link Up x16 Gen 4 PCI-E Riser cable

-Zotac 3070ti AMP HOLO Edition

-AquaComputer Quaddro montioring ambient air temp ~1" in front of GPU fans

Test Methodology:

==============

-Apply product to VRAM only, uisng TG-PP10 on the VRMs and MX-4 on the core

-Apply MSI Afterburner settings: +1100 OC Memory, 85% fixed fan speed

-Run HWINFO and start a log
-Run a thermal test for at least 2 hours (ETCHASH, Furmark, KAWPOW)
-Convert CSV to Excel workbook and process the data within a spreadsheet

-Ignore the 1st hour of the test (warm up period)

-Calculate average temperature delta based on ambient air temps for the enitre 2nd hour of the test

-Chart results

Below is a simplified chart of the current results I've achieved for the ETCHASH test (memory intensive, not much stress on the core)

Simplified ETCHASH chart April 11th 2024.png

Testbench.jpg

1 hour ago, Snarks Domain said:

It just dawned on me that I haven't posted this information here yet, so here goes.....

Thermal Putties have come a long way in the last few years. For starters, TG-PP10 got discontinued which was a huge blow at the time since that was the go to putty for quite a while amoung cooling enthusiats. It was that event that spurred me on to find a viable replacement. I've since spent thousands of dollars buying different putties, pads, pastes, and phase change materials to test out their realtive performance. Below is the current chart for where I'm at in my testing. Currently working on testing thermal pads and will do shims after I've got a good amount of pads on the chart. Let me know if there is a thermal pad you'd like me to test.

...also, if you know of a thermal putty that isn't on the chart I'd love to know about it. Gotta test em all!

Test Bench:
==========
-Vertical open air frame, with GPU mounted Vertically
-Superflower Leadex III 850 watt Gold

-ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wifi

-AMD Ryzen 5900X
-4x8GB G.Skill 3200MHz 16-18-18-38

-Link Up x16 Gen 4 PCI-E Riser cable

-Zotac 3070ti AMP HOLO Edition

-AquaComputer Quaddro montioring ambient air temp ~1" in front of GPU fans

Test Methodology:

==============

-Apply product to VRAM only, uisng TG-PP10 on the VRMs and MX-4 on the core

-Apply MSI Afterburner settings: +1100 OC Memory, 85% fixed fan speed

-Run HWINFO and start a log
-Run a thermal test for at least 2 hours (ETCHASH, Furmark, KAWPOW)
-Convert CSV to Excel workbook and process the data within a spreadsheet

-Ignore the 1st hour of the test (warm up period)

-Calculate average temperature delta based on ambient air temps for the enitre 2nd hour of the test

-Chart results

Below is a simplified chart of the current results I've achieved for the ETCHASH test (memory intensive, not much stress on the core)

Very nice info! Thank you! Will use this next time I have to order putty. 😍

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.