My CPU Water Block is too small for my motherboard

Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That makes far more sense than what I was thinking in my head.

Sometimes it's the simple solutions.

@Hunterrcrafter Could try zip ties first if you have that laying around. Use zipties to go through pairs of holes in a circle and tighten down evenly.

Something like this. As long as you've got the cpu fully under the cooler it'd be better than nothing. If you've got zipties laying around it's a free solution just to test the machine and play around with until you figure something more permanent out.

image.png.7bd1a41c1d93021dc5bef6d323b411d6.png

Hi, I'm building a custom watercooled scrapyard PC for a video, and I've got all my parts for the build. The only problem is that my (cheap) CPU Block from Amazon is too small for my motherboard: The motherboard CPU cooler mounting screws are 7.5cm apart and the CPU block can do 6cm max. See the images I attached.

I can't really buy a new CPU block, and I have very limited recources where I live. I can order stuff online but that can take a while to arrive. I have thought of using the normal mounting mechanism with large washers that clamp down on the corners of the CPU block, but I hope someone has a better idea. Thanks in advance!

For additional information: I found this whole PC in the scrapyard and am planning to watercool it and add RGB and stuff. This will not be my new main PC, it's just for a fun video and to have a cool old PC in a very stylish old case. PC specs are: Intel Core I5-4690, 12GB of DDR3 RAM, a (new) 120GB SATA SSD and no GPU. It just exists for being in a cool video and having a simple system to work on for fun.

CPU Mount.png

CPU Block.png

Disassemble the block, trace out the basic dimensions of the black bracket then cut a new one that has mounting arms that are long enough. If you can't buy something, you have to make it. Finding sheet steel in the correct thickness that will work on the block will be the tricky part. Should be able to be at least hacked together with a drill and maybe a jigsaw at the very least if you can.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Disassemble the block, trace out the basic dimensions of the black bracket then cut a new one that has mounting arms that are long enough. If you can't buy something, you have to make it. Finding sheet steel in the correct thickness that will work on the block will be the tricky part. Should be able to be at least hacked together with a drill and maybe a jigsaw at the very least if you can.

Thanks for the comment! I will look what I can find in stores regarding the sheet metal. I'm not really a metalworker nor do I have real metalworking tools but if I don't find anything else, I'll try your solution.

14 minutes ago, Hunterrcrafter said:

Thanks for the comment! I will look what I can find in stores regarding the sheet metal. I'm not really a metalworker nor do I have real metalworking tools but if I don't find anything else, I'll try your solution.

You could try a bracket for the bracket. Just make a bigger one that slips over the current one. Then it'd just take getting 4 holes lined up correctly and not need to be disassembled.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

You could try a bracket for the bracket. Just make a bigger one that slips over the current one. Then it'd just take getting 4 holes lined up correctly and not need to be disassembled.

40 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

O that's a really good idea! I'll look into what I can find in stores around me. I will mark your comment as the solution when it works. Still open for other ideas in the meanwhile.

37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

@Hunterrcrafter Could try zip ties first if you have that laying around. Use zipties to go through pairs of holes in a circle and tighten down evenly.

Something like this. As long as you've got the cpu fully under the cooler it'd be better than nothing. If you've got zipties laying around it's a free solution just to test the machine and play around with until you figure something more permanent out.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Thanks! I will definitely start with that to get it on the CPU. I'll also try to make a bracket for the bracket for in the long run.