Polished Pump? hmmmmm

Hi there,

so I have no hobbies and I decided to polish my Pump 😁

My hope is that it will have less vibrations and because of the smoother surface, it will also have resistance therefore the pump will need less for the same RPM. Also there were some production defects aka plastic lefovers on the sides as the plastic is cast into the Metal ball.

It feels really smooth with a micro fiber cloth and finger.

What are your thoughts?

20240409_210603.jpg

20240409_213814.jpg

As long as your very diligent to get all polishing compound and debris from the pocket that the bearing (ceramic bead) sits in I can't see it causing any issues.  Not sure if it will make anything better but I am open to hear your results.  I don't know that I have heard of anyone doing this and kinda curious to see how it works out. 

i got a broken d5 i got scammed off amazon... be interesting if i could fix it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

So the reasoning for polishing it was that roughness creates friction, and because of friction when the "turbine ball" rotates inside the water, the water won't slide as smooth on the walls as if it was polished. I can tell that my fingers felt no roughness compared to when it wasn't polished before.

And it seems to be true, I plugged in back, had the same settings as I had it controlled via DC voltage not PWM (is quieter than PWM impulses as DC just flows)... so the result is that the pump also spins faster at the same settings. I had it set to 10% voltage but it spins about 20% faster now when looking at RPM, I don't know if it's quieter as I couldn't hear it even before, but it's MUCH quieter when at high RPM. Back then I could hear it at already 15% but now I can't hear it at even 25%, in both scenarios the PC was on my desk, the fans were off. It helps for sure!

40 minutes ago, ID0 said:

So the reasoning for polishing it was that roughness creates friction, and because of friction when the "turbine ball" rotates inside the water, the water won't slide as smooth on the walls as if it was polished. I can tell that my fingers felt no roughness compared to when it wasn't polished before.

And it seems to be true, I plugged in back, had the same settings as I had it controlled via DC voltage not PWM (is quieter than PWM impulses as DC just flows)... so the result is that the pump also spins faster at the same settings. I had it set to 10% voltage but it spins about 20% faster now when looking at RPM, I don't know if it's quieter as I couldn't hear it even before, but it's MUCH quieter when at high RPM. Back then I could hear it at already 15% but now I can't hear it at even 25%, in both scenarios the PC was on my desk, the fans were off. It helps for sure!

I wonder if a hydrophobic coating would enhance that further, like an automotive ceramic coating?

thing about this is ya might improve it but for how long... it will tarnish and go back to the state it was or maybe eve worse because when you polish it your do remove metal that might not have a coating on it but i guess time will tell.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Could anodize it or paint it I suppose. If the coolant is correct it shouldn't corrode, the aluminum blocks and radiators in Toyota and Honda vehicles don't tarnish one bit, even after a couple decades, because the coolant blend they use is just amazing at that.

I used that pump for 1-2 years without any color additive etc.

So it had some roughness and then I polished it and maybe it works maybe it doesn't, I think it will take a year to know that 🤔