Improving Wifi signal in another building

Hey, I’m trying to boost our signal from the main house to another building.

Currently the main house has the BT smart hub router and I have a TPlink extender in the other building but the wifi signal is terrible because its too far away. So I plan to run a cat6 ethernet cable round the house and into the 2nd building. But do I need to connect the cable into another router or just a extender. My current extender only has 1 ethernet port which isn’t any good as I would like to be able to be hard wired into my pc as well so I need some suggestions as to what to buy so I can do that, thank you

You can connect the ethernet cable from your router to a ethernet switch in the other building, to which you can then connect a wireless access point as well as your PC.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

a.  Into another router which is then set up as an access point (AP).

b.  Into an ethernet hub (unmanaged switch) that connects to both the TPLink Extender and any other nearby devices you want to hardwire.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

23 minutes ago, Dxnx said:

Hey, I’m trying to boost our signal from the main house to another building.

Currently the main house has the BT smart hub router and I have a TPlink extender in the other building but the wifi signal is terrible because its too far away. So I plan to run a cat6 ethernet cable round the house and into the 2nd building. But do I need to connect the cable into another router or just a extender. My current extender only has 1 ethernet port which isn’t any good as I would like to be able to be hard wired into my pc as well so I need some suggestions as to what to buy so I can do that, thank you

Hi buddy,

I have the same setup. Main house with multiple bedrooms, kitchen and living area plus a separate annex with bedroom and bathroom.

I ran a single length of Cat6 from the main Sky Router to the annex and from within the annex I have a small 6 port switch that hard wires my SkyQ mini box, Smart TV and Amazon Eero Wifi Extender.

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of wireless and will hardwire with Cat6 unless its a phone, laptop or an IoT device which is why I have Cat6 runs into every room in the house. Fortunately, I recently renovated the entire property so routing Cat6 was easy.

The only thing to be careful about is you should NEVER wire network across 2 buildings that are on different power supplies. If the outbuilding you speak of is powered by the same mains supply as the house then your fine.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.