Will replacing the motherboard with one of a similar model require a reformat?

So basically, i need some advice. Hopefully a quick one.

While replacing the CPU cooler, somehow my top PCIE slot gave up the ghost on my motherboard. I'm 95% sure its the top slot and not the gpu, as i tested the gpu in a lower pcie slot and it seems to output to my monitor fine, but doesnt when its plugged in to the top slot.

I may be able to get a refund for the motherboard, but im not sure about prospects for a replacement.

Unfortunately i can't find another motherboard that has the same features and IO i want, other than this one, so it looks like im going to need to replace it with one of the same model, or similar.

Specifically, its the MSI Pro Z690 DDR4 Motherboard. However if i were to get a refund, purchasing a replacement would cost me more than the refund as supposedly they've gone up in price since i bought it last year. However, the Wifi model is actually cheaper.

I realise i would probably need to reformat if i were changing chipset, or brand of motherboard, but....would i need to reformat my PC if i were to replace my non-wifi motherboard, with the cheaper wifi motherboard that is (seemingly?) the same model? As far as im aware the only difference is that one has inbuilt wifi and the other doesn't, though im not sure.

If i do need to reformat anyway, could anyone reccomend a possible replacement DDR4 OR DDR5 motherboard (Been thinking about upgrading at some point anyway, even if i would have to buy new RAM) to put in its place? Ideally one with easy undervolting that the MSI ones have (lite load), and similar IO. My other components are i5-13600k and rx 6800 xt, with an nvme ssd (though i imagine most motherboards have m.2 nvme slots these days).

Thanks!

You can get away with changing hardware a lot, and windows will detect it and change drivers as needed. Ive done a lot of drive transfers without issue.

I'd keep the current install with the new board, and only reinstall if there is a problem.

if it's close enough, you shouldn't really need to worry about it.  Same chipset, similar parts onboard, should be okay. 

If you're making significant changes, then you'd want to reformat.

2 minutes ago, Vennaya said:

While replacing the CPU cooler, somehow my top PCIE slot gave up the ghost on my motherboard. I'm 95% sure its the top slot and not the gpu, as i tested the gpu in a lower pcie slot and it seems to output to my monitor fine, but doesnt when its plugged in to the top slot.

I may be able to get a refund for the motherboard, but im not sure about prospects for a replacement.

Unfortunately i can't find another motherboard that has the same features and IO i want, other than this one, so it looks like im going to need to replace it with one of the same model, or similar.

Specifically, its the MSI Pro Z690 DDR4 Motherboard. However if i were to get a refund, purchasing a replacement would cost me more than the refund as supposedly they've gone up in price since i bought it last year. However, the Wifi model is actually cheaper.

I realise i would probably need to reformat if i were changing chipset, or brand of motherboard, but....would i need to reformat my PC if i were to replace my non-wifi motherboard, with the cheaper wifi motherboard that is (seemingly?) the same model? As far as im aware the only difference is that one has inbuilt wifi and the other doesn't, though im not sure.

If i do need to reformat anyway, could anyone reccomend a possible replacement DDR4 OR DDR5 motherboard (Been thinking about upgrading at some point anyway, even if i would have to buy new RAM) to put in its place? Ideally one with easy undervolting that the MSI ones have (lite load), and similar IO. My other components are i5-13600k and rx 6800 xt, with an nvme ssd (though i imagine most motherboards have m.2 nvme slots these days).

Thanks!

nothing will reformat, thats not how pcs work

If it's the same model or just the variant with WiFi you shouldn't have to do anything major. Just simply updating the drivers and installing the new WiFi/BT drivers should suffice. Either should work just fine as long as your CPU is supported by the bios version the board has.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, bal723 said:

And that's not the question...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, bal723 said:

As stated, that's not the question being posed at all. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 hours ago, Vennaya said:

Thanks!

Before you jump into replacing the board, what Troubleshooting did you do?

45 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Before you jump into replacing the board, what Troubleshooting did you do?

Well after i replaced the CPU cooler, i plugged everything back in and then powered it on, but my GPU wasnt being detected even in device manager.

I tried reseating it but then for whatever reason, the PC started boot looping with no signal, not even from intergrated graphics. At that time i started getting help from the /r/techsupport discord.

I then did a few steps such as testing each ram slot, and each stick, no error codes. I also took out the GPU.

When i did this, i was able to get back in to windows with an output on intergrated graphics.

At this point, i plugged the RAM all back in, instead of just a single stick, and then put the GPU in one of the lower slots.

I was able to get in to windows, and i got an output from the GPU. Me and the people on /r/techsupport concluded it was a bad top PCIE slot, which was only confirmed once i moved the GPU back in to the top slot and i no longer got a signal from it again.

We never figured out what that boot looping was all about, but it only happened the one time, so it might have been just a fluke. It may have been the PC half-detecting the GPU somehow, and may have actually been getting in to windows, but i was unable to see it, because no output to the screens. Its worth noting that i got not a single error code, nor did any of the error LEDs on the motherboard remain lit for more than a second or two.

So as best as i can tell, and they could help me with, we conlcuded it is almost certainly a bad top PCIE slot, because the PC seems to work fine otherwise. I'm currently using it to type this, though i am having to run on intergrated graphics for the time being.

(Though that being said, if you saw the other thread i made on my profile, in relation to the CPU cooler, it seems even with a new cooler its still thermal throttling when it shouldn't be. Though i doubt the two issues are related? Who knows.)

I DO have something weird in my Device manager though, though again unsure if its related or not. I attached an image with it.

Again, not sure if its related, but considering the GPU works in the lower slots....? No idea honestly, just thought i'd mention it. It could have been there before this whole issue arose for all i know. The only reason it stood out to me was because it mentions PCI.

sddasd.png

1 hour ago, Vennaya said:

Well after i replaced the CPU cooler, i plugged everything back in and then powered it on, but my GPU wasnt being detected even in device manager.

I tried reseating it but then for whatever reason, the PC started boot looping with no signal, not even from intergrated graphics. At that time i started getting help from the /r/techsupport discord.

I then did a few steps such as testing each ram slot, and each stick, no error codes. I also took out the GPU.

When i did this, i was able to get back in to windows with an output on intergrated graphics.

At this point, i plugged the RAM all back in, instead of just a single stick, and then put the GPU in one of the lower slots.

I was able to get in to windows, and i got an output from the GPU. Me and the people on /r/techsupport concluded it was a bad top PCIE slot, which was only confirmed once i moved the GPU back in to the top slot and i no longer got a signal from it again.

We never figured out what that boot looping was all about, but it only happened the one time, so it might have been just a fluke. It may have been the PC half-detecting the GPU somehow, and may have actually been getting in to windows, but i was unable to see it, because no output to the screens. Its worth noting that i got not a single error code, nor did any of the error LEDs on the motherboard remain lit for more than a second or two.

So as best as i can tell, and they could help me with, we conlcuded it is almost certainly a bad top PCIE slot, because the PC seems to work fine otherwise. I'm currently using it to type this, though i am having to run on intergrated graphics for the time being.

(Though that being said, if you saw the other thread i made on my profile, in relation to the CPU cooler, it seems even with a new cooler its still thermal throttling when it shouldn't be. Though i doubt the two issues are related? Who knows.)

I DO have something weird in my Device manager though, though again unsure if its related or not. I attached an image with it.

Again, not sure if its related, but considering the GPU works in the lower slots....? No idea honestly, just thought i'd mention it. It could have been there before this whole issue arose for all i know. The only reason it stood out to me was because it mentions PCI.

sddasd.png

It's really odd for a lane to just suddenly stop. It has all the signs of the cpu causing it. (or socket pin) I'd reset again just to be certain. I'd also check the socket carefully.

The pci controller is on the cpu, further making me suspect the cpu.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's really odd for a lane to just suddenly stop. It has all the signs of the cpu causing it. (or socket pin) I'd reset again just to be certain. I'd also check the socket carefully.

The pci controller is on the cpu, further making me suspect the cpu.

Reset again? Reset what?

You mean re-seat the GPU? Because i did that several times, and it was the same result.

Plus, that pci controller just has a "missing driver" error, so its not like the controller has just vanished or not recognised. So...? I mean im no expert. You might be right for all know, but i have no way of testing it without replacing either the cpu or the motherboard. And neither is cheap, and i've already gotten amazon to refund the CPU cooler and will try my luck with them trying to refund the motherboard tomorrow so i can buy a replacement, so i dunno about my chances of them refunding the CPU aswell, especially as all 3 were bought at the same time, in november of 2022.

Plus, the m.2 drive i have installed is still working fine, and that uses the lanes closest to the cpu, yes?

So if those are working, its weird that the ones for the gpu slot aren't working. So its natural to assume that the gpu socket itself isnt working?
Or is it possible for only specific lanes in a CPU to go poof? And they just so happen to coinside with the top GPU slot, but literally no other lanes? ...I dunno. The CPU seems fine otherwise. I did a stress test with a long Cinebench run yesterday and no issues. ...Though the intergrated graphics did cut out for like 1.5 seconds yesterday while i was watching a video but otherwise it's been perfectly fine....Either way it seems far fetched.

Though you are right, its weird either way. I simply took out the old cpu cooler, which was a just barely over 1 year old MSI water cooler, because it was failing to cool it adequetly all of a sudden despite temps being more than fine only a few months before. I cleaned off the thermal paste with iso, removed the motherboards ILM and placed a contact frame in its place, without removing the CPU from its socket. I then applied thermal paste again, and installed the new cooler, and when i booted it back up the GPU was failing to be detected. The rest you know.

So the CPU never actually left the socket, but conversely the GPU was also barely touched, after all i was just replacing the CPU cooler.

So yea....I don't know what to think honestly.

1 hour ago, Vennaya said:

Reset again? Reset what?

You mean re-seat the GPU? Because i did that several times, and it was the same result.

Plus, that pci controller just has a "missing driver" error, so its not like the controller has just vanished or not recognised. So...? I mean im no expert. You might be right for all know, but i have no way of testing it without replacing either the cpu or the motherboard. And neither is cheap, and i've already gotten amazon to refund the CPU cooler and will try my luck with them trying to refund the motherboard tomorrow so i can buy a replacement, so i dunno about my chances of them refunding the CPU aswell, especially as all 3 were bought at the same time, in november of 2022.

Plus, the m.2 drive i have installed is still working fine, and that uses the lanes closest to the cpu, yes?

So if those are working, its weird that the ones for the gpu slot aren't working. So its natural to assume that the gpu socket itself isnt working?
Or is it possible for only specific lanes in a CPU to go poof? And they just so happen to coinside with the top GPU slot, but literally no other lanes? ...I dunno. The CPU seems fine otherwise. I did a stress test with a long Cinebench run yesterday and no issues. ...Though the intergrated graphics did cut out for like 1.5 seconds yesterday while i was watching a video but otherwise it's been perfectly fine....Either way it seems far fetched.

Though you are right, its weird either way. I simply took out the old cpu cooler, which was a just barely over 1 year old MSI water cooler, because it was failing to cool it adequetly all of a sudden despite temps being more than fine only a few months before. I cleaned off the thermal paste with iso, removed the motherboards ILM and placed a contact frame in its place, without removing the CPU from its socket. I then applied thermal paste again, and installed the new cooler, and when i booted it back up the GPU was failing to be detected. The rest you know.

So the CPU never actually left the socket, but conversely the GPU was also barely touched, after all i was just replacing the CPU cooler.

So yea....I don't know what to think honestly.

It is odd since you didn't take the chip out, but individual lanes can definitely stop working. On the cpu connected lanes, they are each individually wired to the cpu, so if a single pin has an isue, it will only affect that lane/slot.

Without a spare or loaner cpu, I guess you are at the mercy of swapping the board.

10 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It is odd since you didn't take the chip out, but individual lanes can definitely stop working. On the cpu connected lanes, they are each individually wired to the cpu, so if a single pin has an isue, it will only affect that lane/slot.

Without a spare or loaner cpu, I guess you are at the mercy of swapping the board.

Hmmm well yea...Sucks because i'll need to update the BIOS again on any new board. Sigh.

But yea, i dont have any cpus i could put in, and neither do i have any spare motherboards that would work to test this CPU.

Either way i will inspect the socket when i take the CPU out....

I might just make another thread on here about my whole situation and get some fresh input on it, because im sure there arent many people visiting this thread anymore as the original post was just a simple question, pretty much.

5 hours ago, Vennaya said:

Reset again? Reset what?

He meant reseat the CPU, checking no bent pins etc

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

He meant reseat the CPU, checking no bent pins etc

Auto correct has been kicking my backside. Should take it as a sign to stay off my phone.