Why do people build motherboards outside the case before installation?

I have only ever dabbled in computer building, but I really enjoy watching others do it. I am currently clearing out the couch right now looking for spare change to build another one and have been rewatching old LTT builds here and there to appease me while I try to fatten the piggy bank. Out of the blue I asked myself, out loud, why is it that ppl always seem to build the motherboard up with its parts before installing it into the case? The one I did I also built it outside of the case (monkey see monkey do!) but I’m curious if that’s just the way folks great grandpappy taught them or if there’s an actual purpose for this? 

5 minutes ago, samsonwilliams said:

I have only ever dabbled in computer building, but I really enjoy watching others do it. I am currently clearing out the couch right now looking for spare change to build another one and have been rewatching old LTT builds here and there to appease me while I try to fatten the piggy bank. Out of the blue I asked myself, out loud, why is it that ppl always seem to build the motherboard up with its parts before installing it into the case? The one I did I also built it outside of the case (monkey see monkey do!) but I’m curious if that’s just the way folks great grandpappy taught them or if there’s an actual purpose for this? 

The main purpose is for handiness, its much harder when theres case walls in the way etc to build the finnicky parts of the motherboard up, cpu, cooler etc.

And also to test the motherboard is working and running fine with everything plugged in before putting into case and cable managing etc. 

Basically make it as easily accessible for troubleshooting as possible so that testing everything works is easy before making in harder to access everything

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

9 minutes ago, samsonwilliams said:

when working on mine, it's honestly a lot easier to install the fan outside before bringing the mobo inside the case.

9 minutes ago, samsonwilliams said:

I’m curious if that’s just the way folks great grandpappy taught them or if there’s an actual purpose for this? 

it's to test the parts before assembling the machine. but i like the implication that millions of people hadn't questioned the practice and were just blindly participating in a tradition without thinking about it.

30 minutes ago, samsonwilliams said:

It's way easier to install stuff on the board outside of the case, especially coolers

But what's even more useful imo is that it allows you to test POST/boot without having to install everything and then realize it doesn't work (just jump the power pins to start)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Insecurity.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

to make sure the parts work before going trough all that effort.

also, some cpu coolers are hell to mount while in a case, so it's partially out of habit on that side.

on my Z97 system the cooler was such a horrible mounting system i ended up 'mounting the motherboard to the heatsink' outside the case, and then slice my fingers open to drop it in.

36 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Insecurity.

They're just non-believers that they'll get it working first time, every time

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Do it both ways and you see which is easier.

Some cheap cases also don't have a CPU cutout and some cooler mounting schemes require fastening from the underside of the MB. 

I build it outside, but I don't test the PC before everything is assembled in the case. I guess I just find it easier to see and access everything outside the dark case. I only build a new PC every 5+ years, though. So, efficiency doesn't matter much.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

As a mITX owner... its going to be reeeally interesting to install CPU and CPU cooler in the case.

That said, I mostly work with the MOBO installed for anything else.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On 4/8/2024 at 1:26 AM, samsonwilliams said:

Out of the blue I asked myself, out loud, why is it that ppl always seem to build the motherboard up with its parts before installing it into the case?

Cause you want to make sure the parts work before you make a lot more work for yourself.

Generally you do this:

Motherboard (on insulated table)

RAM

CPU

Boot drive/OS SSD 

no GPU (unless CPU has no iGPU)

PSU

===

Test, install OS, Burn in Test

===

Install GPU, additional SSD or HDD, etc

===

Test

===

Remove PCIe cards, install straight into Chassis, don't tighten screws yet.

===

Test again

===

Reinstall PCIe cards

===

Test again, tighten screws

Now each of these "test" points are to make sure you plugged everything in. 

You can also skip all the test steps except the first one. But it will suck to spend 30 minutes screwing everything in, only to find out a stick of ram is dead or a SSD doesn't work, having to pull everything out of the chassis to get to it.

Generally the PCIe cards are the obstacle to getting to the M2's, while the CPU cooler is an obstacle to getting to the RAM, and many coolers obstruct the RAM slot closest to the CPU. So once you're sure the computer is "Ready to go" you put it in the chassis and continue to the PCIe cards.

I feel like 20 years ago it was more common to build with the parts INSIDE the case. 

These are things which have changed since then. 
1. Tower coolers became a thing in 2006. 
2. It's harder to record a PC build INSIDE of a case. 

For most people it doesn't really matter one way or the other. In my own case, I slap in the CPU, slap the board into the case and then install an AIO cooler. 

I don't recall when I install RAM, it probably doesn't really matter to me. I also don't bother removing my system for RAM upgrades. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800