Klipsch dying, looking for recommendations

StarsMars

My Klipsch 2.1 speakers are dying. Is there a 2.1 system anyone recommends these days?

Would like to keep it under $200 unless it's something pretty special.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are still available you know.

Tell us what you're looking for if you're looking to upgrade.

A lot of people with better setups use bigger (bookshelf) speakers/monitors, but that depends on how much desk space you have and whether or not you still want a (cheap, crappy) subwoofer.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

28 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are still available you know.

Tell us what you're looking for if you're looking to upgrade.

A lot of people with better setups use bigger (bookshelf) speakers/monitors, but that depends on how much desk space you have and whether or not you still want a (cheap, crappy) subwoofer.

Plenty of desk space.

A 2.1 setup where I don't need an additional amp unless it can be added in the price range.

What about the klipsch sub is crappy?

3 hours ago, StarsMars said:

Plenty of desk space.

A 2.1 setup where I don't need an additional amp unless it can be added in the price range.

The promedia 2.1 when it is on sale for around $60ish is unbeatable and it checks a lot of boxes. It's cheap. It's not the most reliable thing (mine died) but it's CHEAP. Did I mention it's cheap.

At $200ish you'd be looking at something from edifier on sale OR you would be buying used (craigslist, slickdeals, etc.)
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=edifier

At $300ish I'd probably go for [Emotiva B1+, Kef Q150, Elac Debut, Polk ES10/15] and then an amp like an Aiyima A07. 
Getting these at around $200 is doable if you get lucky used. 

-----

3 hours ago, StarsMars said:

The Klipsch sub has an amplifier for itself as well as the speakers built into it. It's pretty cheaply constructed to hit the $60ish price point. It's small and doesn't go DEEP or loud in terms of bass. There's people that would probably describe it as more of a woofer than a subwoofer. It REALLY doesn't go deep on bass. The port tuning frequency is "high" at something like 50ish Hz and the bass gets distorted. 

It's $60 though. Like... it puts out sound and it works. That's fine. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

44 minutes ago, cmndr said:

The promedia 2.1 when it is on sale for around $60ish is unbeatable and it checks a lot of boxes. It's cheap. It's not the most reliable thing (mine died) but it's CHEAP. Did I mention it's cheap.

At $200ish you'd be looking at something from edifier on sale OR you would be buying used (craigslist, slickdeals, etc.)
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=edifier

At $300ish I'd probably go for [Emotiva B1+, Kef Q150, Elac Debut, Polk ES10/15] and then an amp like an Aiyima A07. 
Getting these at around $200 is doable if you get lucky used. 

-----

The Klipsch sub has an amplifier for itself as well as the speakers built into it. It's pretty cheaply constructed to hit the $60ish price point. It's small and doesn't go DEEP or loud in terms of bass. There's people that would probably describe it as more of a woofer than a subwoofer. It REALLY doesn't go deep on bass. The port tuning frequency is "high" at something like 50ish Hz and the bass gets distorted. 

It's $60 though. Like... it puts out sound and it works. That's fine. 

I've never seen it on sale for $60. It's going for $120 now and I bought mine when they were cut from $200 to $100 at bestbuy.

Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

So basically there's a gap between the promedia at 60-100 and $300 where you get into more enthusiast levels?

They're like $60-70 every other month or so. This has been the sales price for a VERY long time. Like a decade. Note the slick deals link. They pop up on Amazon, at costco, etc. 
These speakers are a total rip off at $120. 

Best Buy sales prices are not necessarily "real" they're just making up numbers. 

There is a Klipsch 2.1 heritage line that's supposed to be better that's around $200 or so. I haven't looked into it too much. 

Kind of the "in the middle" part is one of the edifiers on sale for around $100ish and MAYBE a budgety subwoofer added on. 

---

As far as "good sound" is concerned, $200ish for speakers is about as cheap as it gets to be "good" and around $300 for a subwoofer. Going much higher than that gets you into diminishing returns territory and going much below has notable tradeoffs. 

Used gear is often the solution since GOOD speakers will last 20-50 years in most cases. These things are not like computers, they LAST. Worst case scenario you're swapping a capacitor. 

5 hours ago, StarsMars said:

It's a little harsh of me to call it crappy.

The subwoofer included in the ProMedia system does its job of putting out.. noise at the correct sub-bass frequencies but that's it. It is in no way representative of how bass should sound.

At $200, it's an extremely tight budget if you want to buy everything brand new, and you won't get a subwoofer, but will still have a pathway to purchasing one in the future because the following options have a "Pre-Out" for subwoofer connection.

Speaker Amplifier options:

- Fosi Audio V3 for $90

https://www.amazon.com/Fosi-Audio-V3-Amplifier-Component/dp/B0C36S8DCT/

- Fosi Audio BT20A for $90-$100

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Audio-Amplifier-Integrated-Subwoofer/dp/B07JVFY27T/

- Loxjie A30 for $170 (includes DAC/headphone amp)

https://www.amazon.com/LOXJIE-MA12070-Headphone-Amplifier-Bluetooth/dp/B08J7Z8TN6/

Speaker Options:

- Micca MB42X for $90

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2/

- Monoprice Audition B5 Bookshelf for $70 each

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43156

- NEUMI BS5 Passive Bookshelf Speakers for $110

https://www.amazon.com/BS5-Passive-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B07YZDS9LF

If you could increase your total budget to $300-$350 it would be easier to recommend great speakers.

Monoprice also has many great-- for the price!!-- subwoofer options starting at $90.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, cmndr said:

There is a Klipsch 2.1 heritage line that's supposed to be better that's around $200 or so. I haven't looked into it too much. 

Kind of the "in the middle" part is one of the edifiers on sale for around $100ish and MAYBE a budgety subwoofer added on. 

---

As far as "good sound" is concerned, $200ish for speakers is about as cheap as it gets to be "good" and around $300 for a subwoofer. Going much higher than that gets you into diminishing returns territory and going much below has notable tradeoffs. 

Used gear is often the solution since GOOD speakers will last 20-50 years in most cases. These things are not like computers, they LAST. Worst case scenario you're swapping a capacitor. 

The heritage speakers look really nice. Wasn't sure if they were just a reskin of the ones I have now so I found this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Klipsch/comments/154ft7e/klipsch_promedia_21_thx_vs_promedia_heritage/

Basically he said it's a significant upgrade and well worth the price.

Probably going to wait and find them on a deal since I was already happy with my speakers before a storm damaged them.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

It's a little harsh of me to call it crappy.

The subwoofer included in the ProMedia system does its job of putting out.. noise at the correct sub-bass frequencies but that's it. It is in no way representative of how bass should sound.

At $200, it's an extremely tight budget if you want to buy everything brand new, and you won't get a subwoofer, but will still have a pathway to purchasing one in the future because the following options have a "Pre-Out" for subwoofer connection.

If you could increase your total budget to $300-$350 it would be easier to recommend great speakers.

Monoprice also has many great-- for the price!!-- subwoofer options starting at $90.

Maybe it's a fair assessment. I don't know a ton about subwoofers. Got into headphones for a while which is what I primarily use at the PC.

(Fostex T20RP mkIII through a Schiit Magni Heresy if you're curious)

I appreciate the advice. I will look for reviews of your suggestions.

23 hours ago, StarsMars said:

(Fostex T20RP mkIII through a Schiit Magni Heresy if you're curious)

Hm, if you can stretch your budget a little, you can get a pair of JBL 305P MKII for about ~$250

They're powered speakers, and the Pre-Out output from your Magni will handle volume control.

Again, no subwoofer, but you can add them in the future by using RCA Y-splitters from the Magni output.

edit: you could buy this little splitter cube in the future

https://www.amazon.com/Cubilux-Splitter-4-Channel-Splitter-Made-Aluminum/dp/B0C5X21F3K

Magni RCA Pre-Out -> Cubilux Box -> JBL Speakers

.............................................................-> future subwoofer

16 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

-snip-

You don't necessarily NEED a pre-out on an amp for the sub. It's "fine" to just set the sub's crossover to about the point where the L+R speakers drop off (just using a budgety y splitter to replicate the signal to both the speakers and the sub). "good" subs will also have their own high pass filter which mitigates the issue a fair bit as well. 

10 hours ago, cmndr said:

You don't necessarily NEED a pre-out on an amp for the sub. It's "fine" to just set the sub's crossover to about the point where the L+R speakers drop off (just using a budgety y splitter to replicate the signal to both the speakers and the sub). "good" subs will also have their own high pass filter which mitigates the issue a fair bit as well. 

Isn't a "pre-out" necessary for powered subwoofers because you need it to control the subwoofer volume in unison with the speakers? Otherwise, you would need to reach behind to change the subwoofer gain dial every time you adjust your speaker volume. I know a "sub out" is essentially a pre-out with a built-in filter.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:36 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Isn't a "pre-out" necessary for powered subwoofers because you need it to control the subwoofer volume in unison with the speakers? Otherwise, you would need to reach behind to change the subwoofer gain dial every time you adjust your speaker volume. I know a "sub out" is essentially a pre-out with a built-in filter.

The "source" would be a the computer. 
You'd adjust the volume on there.