Can I mix a 3200mhz ram with 266mhz ram

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Anything above 2666 MT/s typically requires XMP to be enabled, which a lot of laptops don't offer as an option in BIOS (technically 3200 MT/s CL20 exists as a JEDEC standard)

If both work at 2666 MT/s in dual channel you should indeed be good to go

I brought a ddr4 8gb 3200mhz ram few days ago and they said I cant mix it with a 2666mhz 4gb ram. So I had to single channel the 8gb ram. But later I found out that the 3200mhz 8gb ram was limited to 2667mhz on the task manager as the dell website states that my laptop which is dell inspiron 3593 i3-1005G1 supports only 2666mhz ram speeds. Later I contacted the store which I got it installed and they said still I am unable to mix them. And the cpu-z software shows that the uncore frequency of the 8gb ram is 3198mhz. Just want to know whether I can mix the 3200mhz ram with the 2667mhz ram. I even googled it and checked It says that it will limit the 3200mhz ram to 2667mhz so I am fine to mix. But the store technician says that if I mix them I will encounter a bluescreen error and my warranty for the new 8gb 3200mhz ram will be invalid. Please can anyone help me clarify my doubt.

did you install the ram yet

If you mix RAM with different speeds, it'll simply run at the slowest common speed. It might turn out to be incompatible and not run at all, but the likelihood is very low. It's not going to damage anything, so simply try it out.

5 minutes ago, Mr.habibi_23 said:

But the store technician says that if I mix them I will encounter a bluescreen error and my warranty for the new 8gb 3200mhz ram will be invalid.

How on earth would they even tell you did that… unless you volunteer that information

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

did you install the ram yet

no

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you mix RAM with different speeds, it'll simply run at the slowest common speed. It might turn out to be incompatible and not run at all, but the likelihood is very low. It's not going to damage anything, so simply try it out.

How on earth would they even tell you did that… unless you volunteer that information

Ill try, but worried about losing warranty

Just now, Mr.habibi_23 said:

Ill try, but worried about losing warranty

There's no way for them to tell you mixed that RAM with other RAM unless you tell them you did.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

There's no way for them to tell you mixed that RAM with other RAM unless you tell them you did.

ohh ok Ill try

You can always manually tune RAM frequency and see whether it works, if the BIOS allows it

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

7 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

You can always manually tune RAM frequency and see whether it works, if the BIOS allows it

My bios does not allow any tuning 

27 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

My bios shows the ram speed as 2667mhz when the 8gb 3200mhz was single channeled and now when I added the 4gb 2666mhz ram still it shows as 2667mhz, so I guess I am safe. But not sure

54 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I installed the 4gb ram also, and now both are running at 2667mhz so am I safe.

17123900719174186743996658840527.jpg

Anything above 2666 MT/s typically requires XMP to be enabled, which a lot of laptops don't offer as an option in BIOS (technically 3200 MT/s CL20 exists as a JEDEC standard)

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

jedec 2933 and 3200c22/20 exist just that they probably only work on newer laptops that officially support 3200 since laptop bioses dont allow for tuning ram freq most of the time and theyll auto run at whatever the laptop limits speed wise so 2666 and they run at 2666 jedec or 3200 and they run at their rated 3200c22/20 jedec, and i have no clue of theres even a laptop that supports 2933 but not 3200

over 3200 does require xmp or manual tuning though cause i am not aware of anything higher than 3200c20 jedec

56 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thank you for your support