How to make obs video quality better?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

So this will use whatever is in the Stream tab which by default will be really bad

image.png.19c602e308bafc8433da9fcc175c9889.png

so you want to change that to HEVC (h.265) preferably with your GPU so for NVIDIA you will choose NVENC h.265 and for AMD there should be something like AMAF h.265.

MP4 is just a container it has nothing to do with quality. MP4 has a disadvantage that if your recording gets interrupted for example by random restart or something, the whole file will be corrupted. Something like .MKV should still work until that point though.

When recording with obs, ive noticed that the outputed video looks like 480p even though i set the recording res to 1080p. I think it might be noise or something. I did see that the output video was set to fragmented mp4 instead of full mp4, which i thought might be the problem, but after trying out full mp4 obs seems to glitch out as it will say "stopping recording..." forever after pressing the stop recording button. How do i fix this?

To help improve your settings we must first know your settings. Post screenshots.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

To help improve your settings we must first know your settings. Post screenshots.

image.png.955f74e15716a5dfc3066473d68abcc3.png

image.png.4dc471ba4ca4d1d99eeaf58c076bf883.png

So this will use whatever is in the Stream tab which by default will be really bad

image.png.19c602e308bafc8433da9fcc175c9889.png

so you want to change that to HEVC (h.265) preferably with your GPU so for NVIDIA you will choose NVENC h.265 and for AMD there should be something like AMAF h.265.

MP4 is just a container it has nothing to do with quality. MP4 has a disadvantage that if your recording gets interrupted for example by random restart or something, the whole file will be corrupted. Something like .MKV should still work until that point though.