Copycat companies

RevGAM
Posted (edited)

Last night, I watched the GN roast of Gamemax for essentially doing a poor copy of the Hyte (Y80?), calling it Hype. Given the poor thermal performance of both cases, I feel as though GM did an over-priced parody of a case that has received a lot of unwarranted attention, as have many other terrarium cases. 

Steve shortly pointed out that they would have done better starting from scratch than building a copy that was so bad that it cooked the PC and lacks enough storage space. 

Steve also pointed out that there are several other companies that engage copycat (patent infringement and IP theft), such as Segotep and Gamdias. It makes me wonder about SAMA, Raidmax, Draecena and several other companies. 

Does anyone know which companies routinely copy other companies' products? Not just cases, if you happen to know.

Edited by RevGAM
Corrected mistake made by Otto Rong.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

add thermalfake to your list.

that said, assume that everyone in the industry is at least partially copying each other's homework.

new ideas are rare, and there's only so many ways to make a square black box.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

new ideas are rare, and there's only so many ways to make a square black box.

Then if one company rolls a 20 and their new idea takes off, everyone else is going to copy it.

Then everybody strives to innovate again because now nobody's innovative.

It's kind of like the old crabs-in-a-bucket contradiction.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Then if one company rolls a 20 and their new idea takes off, everyone else is going to copy it.

I give it 5 years till we have the retro trend happen and start seeing 90's inspired towers and such with someone nailing one and it taking off 😛

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Does anyone know which companies routinely copy other companies' products? 

China.

One of the established brands: Thermaltake

They have copied from other companies like CaseLabs (R.I.P. 😞).

People never go out of business.

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

China.

One of the established brands: Thermaltake

They have copied from other companies like CaseLabs (R.I.P. 😞).

I wasn't going to say it but I'm very aware of the role Chinese companies play in the theft of IP and copying of patented work, both foreign and domestic. Every company that outsources its work to China is basically guaranteed to have their stuff copied. In fact, China does this in just about any sector, especially if the profit margin is good, including antiques. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

that was so bad that it cooked the PC and lakes enough storage space. 

imagine cooking PC while drowning the storage, smh

33 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I wasn't going to say it but I'm very aware of the role Chinese companies play in the theft of IP and copying of patented work, both foreign and domestic. Every company that outsources its work to China is basically guaranteed to have their stuff copied. In fact, China does this in just about any sector, especially if the profit margin is good, including antiques. 

you know the saying: "Fire is a good servant but a bad master."

well you could probably replace Fire with China and can apply it to 50% of situations.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

imagine cooking PC while drowning the storage, smh

LOL! I hate Otto Rong! 😉

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

well you could probably replace Fire with China and can apply it to 50% of situations.

In this case, if say China is a bad servant and a bad master. I mean, I can't entirely blame them given what the West did to them (and Japan) all those years ago, but still...

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

LOL! I hate Otto Rong! 😉

In this case, if say China is a bad servant and a bad master. I mean, I can't entirely blame them given what the West did to them (and Japan) all those years ago, but still...

I disagree, with China, tons of products, stuffs, clothes even, everything, would be much more expensive, name a product, it would be way more expensive without China, almost any product falls into that category,

China is good at that, not saying it's always good though, because there's a reason things from it are cheap...

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

5 minutes ago, podkall said:

I disagree, with China, tons of products, stuffs, clothes even, everything, would be much more expensive, name a product, it would be way more expensive without China, almost any product falls into that category,

China is good at that, not saying it's always good though, because there's a reason things from it are cheap...

I agree but the reason for my statement is related to what I'd already written and the fact that China is a totalitarian dictatorship. A good servant doesn't steal your prized possessions.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

I mean the factory has the blueprints to make your thing so for them its pretty much free money to sell that on.

There's only so many different factories you can go to and if they all do it just means bonus money for them

Posted (edited)

all company's copy each other... that is just how it is. when you get something made in china you risk them making a copy of it thats business

rare times do they go after each other for it thow like lian li going after the magnet fan pattent thing.

most times the copy cat case cost more then the orignal so most times its w/e but i seen some cheap 011 case thow probly improve on the orignal not having a 120mm fan...in the back and they have the corner less front. but you get what you pay for.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links