usb c (or thunderbolt) to displayport

bobzen

so i got a new laptop and wanted to hook up my displayport monitor and bought a displayport to usb c cable but when i plug it in any of my usb c or thunderbolt ports i dont get any signal. Do i need a adapter or something to make this work correctly? 🙂

what laptop what cable
most laptops do displayport over type-c and most cables work for that. if yours doesnt just work then its either the cable or the laptop

45 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

what laptop what cable
most laptops do displayport over type-c and most cables work for that. if yours doesnt just work then its either the cable or the laptop

this is the cable https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-displayport/usb-c-3-1-til-displayport-1-4-kabel-8k-30hz-1-m.html

im using msi vector gp68 hx 13vh laptop the 13th gen one 🙂

just noticed the resolution on the cable which states

8K (7680x4320) 30Hz, 4K (3840×2160) 144Hz.

my monitor is 2560x1440p is that the reason it wont show anything when plugged in maybe?

it says on the cable USB-C porten på din enhed skal understøtte "DisplayPort Alternate mode" for at du kan bruge denne adapter.
Unfortunately it looks like a ton of MSI products dont support dp alt mode.
alt mode is a way for typec to support full speed usb connectivity and display connectivity at the same time by using a different set of pins for displayport and reduced to a single channel connection.

A simple way to get the right cable is to ensure the cable claims it is "bidirectional", this will get you a normal dp to usb-c

2 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

it says on the cable USB-C porten på din enhed skal understøtte "DisplayPort Alternate mode" for at du kan bruge denne adapter.
Unfortunately it looks like a ton of MSI products dont support dp alt mode.
alt mode is a way for typec to support full speed usb connectivity and display connectivity at the same time by using a different set of pins for displayport and reduced to a single channel connection.

A simple way to get the right cable is to ensure the cable claims it is "bidirectional", this will get you a normal dp to usb-c

oh didnt know that. So i will need a cable that is bidirectional as you mentioned? i was thinking about getting a hub or docking station. Will look around for some cables but would suck if it actually takes away performance if it cant run the monitor at full speed since its a PG278Q ROG monitor with g sync 🙂

3 minutes ago, bobzen said:

oh didnt know that. So i will need a cable that is bidirectional as you mentioned? i was thinking about getting a hub or docking station. Will look around for some cables but would suck if it actually takes away performance if it cant run the monitor at full speed since its a PG278Q ROG monitor with g sync 🙂

you cant run a dock if it doesnt support aux mode.
or you can but it will be a displaylink dock which is crap.
you would have to have a cable for display and a cable for the dock separately

22 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

you cant run a dock if it doesnt support aux mode.
or you can but it will be a displaylink dock which is crap.
you would have to have a cable for display and a cable for the dock separately

ended up buying a bidirectional cable. Waiting for arrival so i can test it out 🙂 thanks for the advice