Red VGA and no display

Go to solution Solved by kitnoman,
5 hours ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

I'll try reseating, and yes they're fully in the GPU in on, it's hot, and the fans are spinning.

4 hours ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

Ryzen 5 7500F unfortunately, no iGPU

Just to be sure that we are all on the same page. All cables, from displayport, pcie cable(meaning checking the psu if the cable is inserted correctly on the port that say pcie or checking if you are using the cables that come together with the PSU and the from an old or different brand/model), to reseating the gpu has already been check and done, right? and what you get is a no display, but fans and motherboards are on and lastly VGA LED is solid, correct?

Personally, this is why I don't like CPU without igpu. If it's was me, the first thing I will do after making sure all are slotted correctly, is to reseat CPU and check for bend pins on the motherboard as well. Basically, because I don't have a secondary GPU that I can try, I would first illuminate the CPU. There are times that the error is that the VGA isn't detected resulting on a solid VGA led light, but the cause is the CPU not correctly placed or some bent pins. Reseat ram as well.

Second is to try different displayport on both gpu and monitor(if available). I would even try to turn on the monitor first before the computer. If this is a new computer and first boot. I would also try to leave it on for a few at least 10-15mins. I would also try to use other pcie slot if available.  

If that does not work, I would try to remove and clear the cmos. If that did not work, I will update the bios, so check if your motherboard support bios flash without cpu. As desperation sets in, I would disassemble the pc and just try to boot it using minimal components and just on the box of the motherboard. Lastly try to borrow a known working gpu. 

I did put the GPU correctly and had a click:

• GPU RTX 4070 Super
  • MOBO Gigabyte B650 Eagle AX

Have you tried reseating and making sure the power connectors are fully in?

16 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Have you tried reseating and making sure the power connectors are fully in?

I'll try reseating, and yes they're fully in the GPU in on, it's hot, and the fans are spinning.

what's your CPU? if it has igpu, have you tried booting without the 4070s?

From the title thought you mean you had a VGA cable plugged in and were missing some colours and only had red.

I feel old. My bones hurt.

9 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

what's your CPU? if it has igpu, have you tried booting without the 4070s?

2 minutes ago, artuc said:

From the title thought you mean you had a VGA cable plugged in and were missing some colours and only had red.

I feel old. My bones hurt.

Lol, Displayports are the new kid onthe block.

5 hours ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

4 hours ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

Just to be sure that we are all on the same page. All cables, from displayport, pcie cable(meaning checking the psu if the cable is inserted correctly on the port that say pcie or checking if you are using the cables that come together with the PSU and the from an old or different brand/model), to reseating the gpu has already been check and done, right? and what you get is a no display, but fans and motherboards are on and lastly VGA LED is solid, correct?

Personally, this is why I don't like CPU without igpu. If it's was me, the first thing I will do after making sure all are slotted correctly, is to reseat CPU and check for bend pins on the motherboard as well. Basically, because I don't have a secondary GPU that I can try, I would first illuminate the CPU. There are times that the error is that the VGA isn't detected resulting on a solid VGA led light, but the cause is the CPU not correctly placed or some bent pins. Reseat ram as well.

Second is to try different displayport on both gpu and monitor(if available). I would even try to turn on the monitor first before the computer. If this is a new computer and first boot. I would also try to leave it on for a few at least 10-15mins. I would also try to use other pcie slot if available.  

If that does not work, I would try to remove and clear the cmos. If that did not work, I will update the bios, so check if your motherboard support bios flash without cpu. As desperation sets in, I would disassemble the pc and just try to boot it using minimal components and just on the box of the motherboard. Lastly try to borrow a known working gpu. 

1 hour ago, kitnoman said:

If that does not work, I would try to remove the clear the cmos. If that did not work, I will update the bios, so check if your motherboard support bios flash without cpu. As desperation sets in, I would disassemble the pc and just try to boot it using minimal components and just on the box of the motherboard. Lastly try to borrow a known working gpu. 

"All cables, from displayport, pcie cable(meaning checking the psu if the cable is inserted correctly on the port that say pcie or checking if you are using the cables that come together with the PSU and the from an old or different brand/model), to reseating the gpu has already been check and done, right?"

Correct.

"
and what you get is a no display, but fans and motherboards are on and lastly VGA LED is solid, correct?"

RAM RGB in on aswell, but solid red vga, yes. But before that DRAM temporarily turns solid red for a second then VGA turns red. 

"Personally, this is why I don't like CPU without igpu. If it's was me, the first thing I will do after making sure all are slotted correctly, is to reseat CPU and check for bend pins on the motherboard as well. Basically, because I don't have a secondary GPU that I can try, I would first illuminate the CPU. There are times that the error is that the VGA isn't detected resulting on a solid VGA led light, but the cause is the CPU not correctly placed or some bent pins. Reseat ram as well."
I'll try.

"Second is to try different displayport on both gpu and monitor(if available). I would even try to turn on the monitor first before the computer. If this is a new computer and first boot. I would also try to leave it on for a few at least 10-15mins. I would also try to use other pcie slot if available.

Yes, it's a new computer, but what's the purpose of leaving it? I'll try the other things.

"If that does not work, I would try to remove the clear the cmos. If that did not work, I will update the bios, so check if your motherboard support bios flash without cpu. As desperation sets in, I would disassemble the pc and just try to boot it using minimal components and just on the box of the motherboard. Lastly try to borrow a known working gpu."

I'll see.

11 minutes ago, AccDossNumber15 said:

Yes, it's a new computer, but what's the purpose of leaving it? I'll try the other things.

Ryzen CPU can take a long time for the first boot. I would suggest to remove the cmos battery now and then try it again. For some it might even take 10-15mins. So the best thing to do right now is so just turn it on and leave it. Don't even look at it for 15mins. Get a cup of tea or coffee or something.

11 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Ryzen CPU can take a long time for the first boot. I would suggest to remove the cmos battery now and then try it again. For some it might even take 10-15mins. So the best thing to do right now is so just turn it on and leave it. Don't even look at it for 15mins. Get a cup of tea or coffee or something.

Switch and reseated the ram and it display, but VGA is still solid red. What now?

Open photo