Everyone Who Tried This Has FAILED – Khadas Mind Modular PC

mynameGeoff

Thanks again Khadas for sponsoring today’s video! Save $100 on Khadas Mind using coupon code LTTMIND on Khadas.com and Aliexpress.

Purchase Khadas Mind from Khadas.comhttps://www.khadas.com/mind

Purchase Khadas Mind from Aliexpress: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_oF7auvO

*Coupon code valid on Khadas.com and Aliexpress, valid until end of April 2024.

This thing makes the Mac Mini look gigantic! And don’t even get us started on how big your full tower gaming rig is. The Khadas Mind is a tiny workstation that has big plans. On top of containing a 12-core Intel processor this thing will be able to dock with an RTX 4060 Ti using their new-fangled Mind Connector! The only thing in their way? That pesky PCIe standard.

NGL bit of an odd opening but ok...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Cool tech but who is their target customer?

Cooperate uses laptops with docks.

Price prohibitive for other applications. 

People never go out of business.

Was gonna point out a mistake thinking they forgot a zero when talking about the 1360P processor, but then I realized it's just Intel's weird naming nomenclature.. I forgot how much I really hated it. :ph34r:

The desktop "950" was released in 2009, yet their portable P/G lineup (1260P or 1060G7 for example) started 10 years later.. 🤡 Talk about confusion ! 😶

was going to draw this or maybe spoke about similar design before, cool to see it "working".
very excited if this can be explored, but liquid on the pcie sounds like oof, but its shape might help.

5.5Wh sounds tiny as a battery but it's what they list as well as energy.

It's weird they don't have a e-GPU dock in the options, it would make so much sense

Also it's unfortunate they don't use an AMD APU. The AMD option in the framework laptop really does circles around the intel counterpart, epecially in the iGPU.

For those curious, I tried the 16GB framework unified memory for stable diffusion but it doesn't work. It's not a problem with the hardware or the OS, it's the pytorch library that doesn't implement memory allocation properly. It thinks the reserved memory is all there is, and doesn't know it can allocate up to half the ram of the iGPU if you just bother ask it to.

18 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Cool tech but who is their target customer?

Cooperate uses laptops with docks.

Price prohibitive for other applications. 

I don't know either as these are just kinda weird.

It's a mobile chip regardless and almost every company has gone laptop indeed. Need a gpu? Well simply put they just buy you a laptop with gpu and you just dock that. Maybe get a special dock if it goes over power delivery specs.

As is right now I see very little if no use for this especially since the price is quite high.

Sure it's nice that you can potentially keep using all accessories but so can a laptop.

Egpu's are also like just not a thing? I have supported a bunch of companies and of the hundred or so there were like 2 that had an egpu and for one it was just a bragging rights thing for the boss that was totally not gaming :p. The other was to save on a gpu in laptops but they disliked it and started buying gpu laptops again as it wasn't that easy to use in the end and didn't always work.

This is the sort of thing that ought to exist in an updated/new ATX spec.

Sadly it seems like Intel isn't interested or able to fund new projects anymore.

Personally I think its a winner.... As for the who the marketing is pointed at, I see this in use for ANYONE who is issued a PC at work (ie, they expect you to put in more than your 40 hours per week... AT HOME).  Most people who issue with a laptop expect to get their pound of flesh at home as well as at work (Believe me I know...) issuing a person with this machine AND 2 dockers will result in them easily unplugging their computer at work, and picking up where they left off at home.  The best part is the specs of the machine will allow most corporate drones to accomplish those expected extra hours at work at home.  as for higher end GPU intensive processes (like 3D CAD), I reserve comment until the GPU dock is revealed.....  for this application the computer specs are ok, but a lot would depend on which GPU is used