Need Suggestions for Reducing Room Temp from Exhaust Heat

ChrisIsAwesome

I recently upgraded CPU to a 5900X, and have a 3060 GPU. By the end of the day, my room temperature can be up to 84F if I don't leave window open all day. Without the window, my room has terrible ventilation.

My goal is to reduce the amount of heat that gets exhausted into my room. I'll be appreciate of any suggestions on how to handle this.

Cooling setup (air cooled)
Intake fans: 3x front, 1x back, 2x heatsink
Exhaust fans: 2x top

What have I tried?
I've tried changing direction of back fan and the heatsink fan towards the back, this didn't make a noticeable difference
CPU is undervolted as much as it can be
I've tried letting CPU get hotter by reducing fan speeds to reduce the amount of exhaust, but this didn't make a worthwhile change

The temps during average usage
CPU: 130F (54C)
GPU: 120F (49C)
MB: 100F (38C)

After 12+ hours of this usage:
Room temp: 84F (29C)

My thoughts

I know liquid cooling won't help here, as it would still exhaust the same amount of heat, but would do it faster. So sticking with air cooling, the options I know I have are:
- Option 1: Move PC to another room so the heat doesn't affect me
- Option 2: Jerry-rig some dryer hose to take the exhausted air out window

Complications with option 1:
- I don't have another room to put PC in that wouldn't be dumping the heat onto someone else. So it would likely end up in my closet, which wouldn't be great for PC thermals

- While distance isn't a big concern (if PC goes in closet), the concern is latency. I've looked into a Thunderbolt option, but it's not ideal for my motherboard (ASRock X570 Steel Legend only has TB3 support with needs add on card)
Complications with option 2:
- I have a sit-stand desk, so the hose would need some slack to account for PC moving (PC is in an under desk mount)
- PC is at opposite end of room from window, and bed is between desk and window, so hose would have to go under bed and curve up to get to window. Due to the room structure, there isn't another way to arrange this

Other things to note

- I prefer to have my door and window closed for most of the day, as I work from home and need the quiet. So part of this is my own doing, but regardless, having window open in the Summer wouldn't work anyways

You need to get the heat out of the room, otherwise you will always have an increase in temperatures 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

11 minutes ago, ChrisIsAwesome said:

I've tried changing direction of back fan and the heatsink fan towards the back, this didn't make a noticeable difference
CPU is undervolted as much as it can be
I've tried letting CPU get hotter by reducing fan speeds to reduce the amount of exhaust, but this didn't make a worthwhile change

No changes to your PC will make it generate less heat, except for limiting clock speeds or switching to a lower TDP processor. Air cooling, liquid cooling, doesn't matter. The PC is still dumping X watts of heat into the room, and all resistive electric heating (space heaters and PCs alike) generates 3.41 BTUs per kilowatt-hour.

The only solution is to get the heat out of the room by opening a window or door, running an air conditioner, or go liquid cooling and run a radiator outside.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

25 minutes ago, ChrisIsAwesome said:

I prefer to have my door and window closed for most of the day, as I work from home and need the quiet. So part of this is my own doing

well no it's mostly all your doing. The room isn't being climate controlled. Thus the room is hot. Turn on an air conditioner when it's hot , turn on a heater when it's cold , set a thermostat to the desired temp.

you can air duct ed the heat out or water cool and put the rad by the window. some one did that and worked good. you could put it in another room too how easily that is i dont no.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

The dryer hose wouldn't really work, as you'd need one of every exhaust fan and some way to mount it.

I actually did go that option to direct the heat coming out of my main two PCs, but they only have one exhaust fan each.

Its also not perfect, as a lot of heat still radiates away from the case itself particularly as the GPU will heat up the side panel.  Some will radiate off the hose on the way, I have a second fan on the other end to help keep the air moving to reduce this.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The dryer hose wouldn't really work, as you'd need one of every exhaust fan and some way to mount it.

I actually did go that option to direct the heat coming out of my main two PCs, but they only have one exhaust fan each.

Its also not perfect, as a lot of heat still radiates away from the case itself particularly as the GPU will heat up the side panel.  Some will radiate off the hose on the way, I have a second fan on the other end to help keep the air moving to reduce this.

you need an insulator to keep the heat in the hose. just like a thermos keep things hot and cold

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

We'd need to know more about the home layout.

You state that you can't move the PC to the closet because of latency but what distance are you talking about?  Can you not move the PC closer to the closet even if the bed prevents putting it closer to the window?  What latency problems are you thinking that you'd have?

Surely you could get the PC close enough to run a USB3 cable out to a hub on your desk, and a HQ video cable would reach the monitor?

Where is this closet situated relative to the roof or exterior walls, can a duct be put in the closet to exhaust air outside?  Besides the labor to make the hole and the minor expense for the duct and fan, that's going to be the least expensive option, compared to buying and running an air conditioner instead.  That will also muffle the fan noise more than if it were in the bedroom on a duct.   Use a large bathroom squirrel cage type vent fan, something promoted as being quiet.  IIRC Panasonic makes a few.

With a setup like that, you don't need to capture all the exhaust coming out of the computer case, just to have it in the closet should be enough.  The exhaust fan will create negative pressurization of the closet so all heat is blown out.  That is assuming it isn't a monster sized closet, big enough to have its own central HVAC vent in it but you could just block that off if it does.

18 minutes ago, Dave9 said:

You state that you can't move the PC to the closet because of latency but what distance are you talking about?  Can you not move the PC closer to the closet even if the bed prevents putting it closer to the window?  What latency problems are you thinking that you'd have?

Having it in closet wouldn't be bad, as that would be right next to where it currently is, so wouldn't be an issue having it be in there, as long as the PC is fine being in a heated enclosed space. My concern with latency is more for if I move PC to another room entirely, as cables would be longer. Ideal situation of another room would be to punch a hole through closet wall to living room on other side. Though having done a rough measurement, cable length going to living room wouldn't have to be longer than 10ft

As I mentioned, run a duct outside (outdoors) from the closet, unless you're a renter and can't make such mods to the premises.

2 hours ago, Dave9 said:

As I mentioned, run a duct outside (outdoors) from the closet, unless you're a renter and can't make such mods to the premises.

Or if there is another floor above with a void, you could always vent into the void so it spreads the heat across the upper floor (though may depend on how air tight the void is between floors).

2 hours ago, Dave9 said:

Surely you could get the PC close enough to run a USB3 cable out to a hub on your desk, and a HQ video cable would reach the monitor?

I do this with my server, its in the hallway on a high shelf with an optical HDMI cable running to a monitor in the next room and a couple of 3m passive USB 3.0 cables (to my backup drives), USB 2.0 can potentially go 7-10m if its just for mice, keyboards, game controllers, simpler devices that need less bandwidth.

Another thing is Bluetooth, if you run a WiFi antenna extension far enough so the antenna is in direct line of sight to the peripherals in the room the display is in.  Or a Logitech dongle on the end of a long USB 2.0 cable can also get you greater reach.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 3/23/2024 at 12:14 AM, ChrisIsAwesome said:

Having it in closet wouldn't be bad, as that would be right next to where it currently is, so wouldn't be an issue having it be in there, as long as the PC is fine being in a heated enclosed space. My concern with latency is more for if I move PC to another room entirely, as cables would be longer. Ideal situation of another room would be to punch a hole through closet wall to living room on other side. Though having done a rough measurement, cable length going to living room wouldn't have to be longer than 10ft

If you can't vent that closet, you'll be baking the PC. You need to find a solution that sends the heat outside. Rent or own?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂