Why do some batteries not show runtime?

da na

I have a very large collection of older laptops and I've noticed something quite peculiar with HP laptops on the Centrino/Centrino 2 platform (965 chipset, 2006-2010) - that being that none of the laptops show remaining runtime on the battery. Happens in Windows 7 and 10. Yet, the battery's percentage and max Wh capacity is reported to third-party software (HP's battery manager and HWiNFO). It's not just one or two laptops that do this, either - it's the entire Pavilion lineup as well as a few Compaq models. 

I am very confused because I thought battery runtime calculation was done by the OS based on reported maximum capacity and collected figures on remaining capacity. But in this case, the battery is providing both, yet Windows does not show the remaining time.

Does anyone have an idea on this?

2 minutes ago, da na said:

by the OS based on reported maximum capacity and collected figures on remaining capacity. But in this case, the battery is providing both, yet Windows does not show the remaining time.

Actually you need a driver for it for these old hp compaqs usually bundled with the chipset driver

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Actually you need a driver for it for these old hp compaqs usually bundled with the chipset driver

Interesting, good to know. I've installed all the chipset drivers but not gotten the battery figures.

1 hour ago, da na said:

Interesting, good to know. I've installed all the chipset drivers but not gotten the battery figures.

You tried xp by any chance?

Also is this 32 or 64 bit 7?

3 hours ago, da na said:

Both 32 and 64-bit. Systems originally designed for Vista, also happens there

Hmm strange. I know that for some compaqs you needed some bloatware for it to work