gas can spout that actually works filling a tank

Lurking

I have a 5 gallon gas tank with a rigid spout. Spout looks like this. It sucks pouring gasoline into my car or snow blower since there is no vent and after some flow and the can compresses. At some point air gets sucked in and a lot of flow happens at once till there is vacuum again. This can lead to some spilling since all of sudden there is  a lot of flow. I understand the issue is no air getting in that makes up for the gasoline flowing out. 

They do sell kits with a flexible spout and a relief valve one can install (by drilling a hole). i assume it works, but I don't 100% like the idea of having to manually open and close the vent hole since i could forget to close it. I also don't like to drill a hole since plastic parts can fall into the tank and a sued tank is hard to clean out. 

is there some better spout idea that resolves the venting (or lack thereof) issue? I wouldn't mind to get one of the child/spill/idiot proof types with a tap to push as long as flow is fast and consistent. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Honestly, that is the compromise with a modern, molded plastic gas can. The older metal NATO ones have an internal vent that allows air to displace the fuel as you pour, reducing spillage/glugging. I have two of the plastic cans with the thumb valve, neither is great but when the thumb valve closes they do not vent anymore fuel. I still keep a few of the metal cans and the old steel flexible spout around, because they're better aside from the weight, but it's almost impossible to get a non-CARB compliant spout for those old NATO cans now, unless you order them somewhere.

I wouldn't be too worried about drilling the hole, you do have to remember to close it but not a huge deal. Also, if you want to clean any plastic out you can just put a tiny amount a fuel in there after you drill, and pour that small amount through a coffee filter + funnel into another can.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I would say it depends how much you want to spend.

You can still buy some gas cans that have a back vent that you open to prevent that...but you are dropping like 40-50 CAD on them I think

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I was considering getting an old style metal can. But their spouts seem large. Maybe too large for modern cars?

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

12 hours ago, Lurking said:

I have a 5 gallon gas tank with a rigid spout. Spout looks like this. It sucks pouring gasoline into my car or snow blower since there is no vent and after some flow and the can compresses. At some point air gets sucked in and a lot of flow happens at once till there is vacuum again. This can lead to some spilling since all of sudden there is  a lot of flow. I understand the issue is no air getting in that makes up for the gasoline flowing out. 

They do sell kits with a flexible spout and a relief valve one can install (by drilling a hole). i assume it works, but I don't 100% like the idea of having to manually open and close the vent hole since i could forget to close it. I also don't like to drill a hole since plastic parts can fall into the tank and a sued tank is hard to clean out. 

is there some better spout idea that resolves the venting (or lack thereof) issue? I wouldn't mind to get one of the child/spill/idiot proof types with a tap to push as long as flow is fast and consistent. 

They all suck because of regulations. Working at a landscaping place, we try to use our older cans with the vent hole over the new ones without. I would just drill the hole. I haven't found a single new spout that pours like the older bendable ones with the vent plug at the back. Some of the new ones pour great, but then just stop, then pour great-ish again, and then trickle a bit of gas out, because they don't vent like they should. About the plastic situation, if you don't want to use a filter to strain out the plastic flakes, use a hot tip of a soldering iron to melt through it.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

44 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

They all suck because of regulations. Working at a landscaping place, we try to use our older cans with the vent hole over the new ones without. I would just drill the hole. I haven't found a single new spout that pours like the older bendable ones with the vent plug at the back. Some of the new ones pour great, but then just stop, then pour great-ish again, and then trickle a bit of gas out, because they don't vent like they should. About the plastic situation, if you don't want to use a filter to strain out the plastic flakes, use a hot tip of a soldering iron to melt through it.

Ironically these newer designs spill more fuel (after vacuum breaks). 

Looks like the EX spout is my best bet. Does the "high flow" fit into a car, or is that too large? They say it dispenses 5 gallons in 35 seconds. That may be too much for a car? How much slower is their regular (not hi-flow)? That has a smaller nozzle, which may work better for modern cars where the nozzle needs to open a little door)damper/check valve.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

6 hours ago, Lurking said:

Ironically these newer designs spill more fuel (after vacuum breaks). 

Looks like the EX spout is my best bet. Does the "high flow" fit into a car, or is that too large? They say it dispenses 5 gallons in 35 seconds. That may be too much for a car? How much slower is their regular (not hi-flow)? That has a smaller nozzle, which may work better for modern cars where the nozzle needs to open a little door)damper/check valve.

It works on mine. Not sure how new your cars is, but mine is quite old, and has no anti-siphoning measures, and is basically a tube straight to the tank. To be safe, I'd use the regular one, since that anti-siphoning thing requires a slower stream. Less likely to overflow and spill all over, and ruin your (i'd imagine pretty nice) paint.

And yeah, every time I use one of the new-designed nozzles, I probably spill at least a quart of gas onto the road when filling up trimmers, mowers, dingoes, and every other machine imaginable. 

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

11 hours ago, Lurking said:

I was considering getting an old style metal can. But their spouts seem large. Maybe too large for modern cars?

You could try pairing it with a flexible funnel. I have one of those for odd scenarios, but it could work there too, depending on what's available.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch