What setting do I need to find to prevent this GPT-4 advert (and similar) happening again?

porina

image.png.82d4d44a2028740dbd9749f682d73f5a.png

Go away Microsoft. I'm going to to go through the settings I know shortly to make sure none of them got reset. Wonder if this is OS or other MS software doing it.

On fully updated Win11 Pro.

Edit:

Confirmed following settings are all disabled:

Personalisation > Start > Show recommendations for tips, shortcuts, new apps, and more
Privacy & Security > General > Show me suggested content in the Settings app

System > Notification > Additional Settings > Show the Windows welcome experience after updates and when signed in to show what's new and suggested

System > Notification > Additional Settings > Suggest ways to get the most out of Windows and finish setting up this device

System > Notification > Additional Settings > Get tips and suggestions when using Windows

(the last three were way at the bottom of the screen)

Doing a little searching on it, I found following saying it is a "one time" spam from Microsoft to try to infect Chrome and direct you to MS services, presumably added in the recent monthly update.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/15/chrome_bing_microsoft_pop_ups/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, porina said:

Doing a little searching on it, I found following saying it is a "one time" spam from Microsoft to try to infect Chrome and direct you to MS services, presumably added in the recent monthly update.

It is NOT one time. We have been experiencing these popping back up at eork every thursday on machines that have a core windows update. Its like a fair few srttingd in 11 that magically reset your preferences.

Extremely annoying when a user does click accept.

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It is NOT one time. We have been experiencing these popping back up at eork every thursday on machines that have a core windows update.

Based on reports this specific one seems to be new from last week, which coincides with the routine monthly update. We haven't hit the 2nd Thursday yet so you can't say this one reappears weekly every Thursday, unless reports are wrong and it has been going out more often before. Still, all hits I've seen are recent. You might get different ads, in which case you can check if you have the settings I put in OP adjusted and see if that helps.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

53 minutes ago, porina said:

Based on reports this specific one seems to be new from last week, which coincides with the routine monthly update. We haven't hit the 2nd Thursday yet so you can't say this one reappears weekly every Thursday, unless reports are wrong and it has been going out more often before. Still, all hits I've seen are recent. You might get different ads, in which case you can check if you have the settings I put in OP adjusted and see if that helps.

isn't this the one that takes over chrome and firefox and imports all into edge making edge standard? Similar gpt and whatever mess they advertise.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

isn't this the one that takes over chrome and firefox and imports all into edge making edge standard? Similar gpt and whatever mess they advertise.

I have not seen any like it before. This is the first time I've seen this. The news reports I found were all from within the last week or so, so this specific one seems to be new. Maybe if you didn't turn off all the settings I mentioned earlier, there are other MS promotions shown.

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I have not seen any like it before. This is the first time I've seen this. The news reports I found were all from within the last week or so, so this specific one seems to be new. Maybe if you didn't turn off all the settings I mentioned earlier, there are other MS promotions shown.

Thanks I will look into it further. We are unfortunately on win 11 pro and not enterprise because someone lost the 10/11 enterprise license and Microsoft won't believe us that we are the same multinational company :D. Gotta love 3 name changes in 3 years woo!

May have something to do with that. Or a group policy that failed again then.