My Homemade Laptop (2.5 years daily driven)

Birby_Man

Home built laptop out of a Pelican case. 3D printed the mounts and superglued to the body to ensure it stayed waterproof when closed (rather than screws). I built this out of frustration with a Dell G15 7588 that would throttle itself to 0.8ghz while on battery.

Case: Pelican 1470 HardCase

MotherBoard: Aorus B450 Pro Wifi

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Noctua AM4 NH-L9 Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb DDR4

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 w/ Bracketry removed

PSU: HDPLEX 400w DC-DC Power Supply

Battery: LG 21700 6s6p 22.2 670Wh

Screen: N156HHE-GA1 120HZ 1080p Screen

Keyboard: Kii K18 Wireless compact keyboard

Charger: Lenovo 230w + ISDT Q8 Smart Charger

Cannot bring through TSA lmao. Gets about 4 hours gaming at full speed and 8-12 hours of normal usage. Super silent, never breaks a whisper even at full load. Weighs around ~22lbs. Does fit in some backpacks.

USB extensions to get access to them, and a 45a BMS allowing for charging and power out through the XT90 connector! Also long ass pcie extension to put the GPU somewhere reasonable.

Gets LOTS of attention, but the GPU size allowance restricts me to XX60 series or a modded RTX A4000. Unfortunately the allure of a lightweight all in one system with a better GPU/screen has forced me to retire this system. Soon it will be put into a normal case.

Posted on reddit too, but also posted here for hopefully Linus to see. Would be incredible to see more competent engineers and PC builders put together laptops like this. I think with extra time this could be a well polished system and viable for powerful portable setups. There's a lot of free space behind the monitor and I think the charger could be integrated back there to improve portability. I may revisit this project as well.

Linus + Crew if you see this, please feel free to reach out!

IMG_20240315_135021.jpg

IMG_20240315_135023.jpg

IMG_20240315_135026.jpg