Good idea to sell 1660 super?

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
1 hour ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

Im about to build a pc without a gpu and then once i save up enough put in a gpu. Im considering getting a 1660 super temporarily so that i'll have better performance than the igpu and then selling it when i save up more for a 4070 with only a ~$50 loss. Im just wondering if there's even a market for this gpu used bc i dont wanna end up having to keep it. If there really isn't a market for this gpu, what would be some good trade-in places to at least get some money back if i decide to take this route?

doesnt make sense unless you are going for an 8600g build and even then youd be better off buying a 7600 or 7500f instead and pairing with a used rx 580 8gb for ~50$, those have already hit rock bottom pricing wise so youll probs only lose a few $ if you resell and you also have better cpu performance cause cache isnt halved nor will there be any neccesity to tune rams (9000-10000) to get any decent performance out of the igpu

also 1660s is kinda mid unless <80$, better off with a used 1070/1080 or 5700(xt)

Im about to build a pc without a gpu and then once i save up enough put in a gpu. Im considering getting a 1660 super temporarily so that i'll have better performance than the igpu and then selling it when i save up more for a 4070 with only a ~$50 loss. Im just wondering if there's even a market for this gpu used bc i dont wanna end up having to keep it. If there really isn't a market for this gpu, what would be some good trade-in places to at least get some money back if i decide to take this route?

34 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I'm going to assume you're in the US. Just looking at Ebay and filtering for recently sold listings, there seems to be a decent market for gtx 1660s currently. They're selling for around $100-$120, and maybe a little less if you're patient. If you buy a used 1660 super, I think your plan is decent. If you buy a new one, you'd be losing more than $50. By the time you save up enough to get a 4070 and sell the 1660S, the 1660S will most likely drop in price.

An alternative plan would be to save up around $400 for a used RTX 3080 (or 6800 XT), which is very close to the performance of a 4070.

1 hour ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

doesnt make sense unless you are going for an 8600g build and even then youd be better off buying a 7600 or 7500f instead and pairing with a used rx 580 8gb for ~50$, those have already hit rock bottom pricing wise so youll probs only lose a few $ if you resell and you also have better cpu performance cause cache isnt halved nor will there be any neccesity to tune rams (9000-10000) to get any decent performance out of the igpu

also 1660s is kinda mid unless <80$, better off with a used 1070/1080 or 5700(xt)

idk how to delete this message so just ignore this.

10 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

idk how to delete this message so just ignore this.

just self report see if a mod will help delete it

btw whats the build you are planning anyways alongside budget and country? cause igpu builds almost always never make any sense when you take into consideration used rx 570/580 8gb for ~50$ so kinda makes me think you are overspending on something if you are going for an igpu build

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

just self report see if a mod will help delete it

btw whats the build you are planning anyways alongside budget and country? cause igpu builds almost always never make any sense when you take into consideration used rx 570/580 8gb for ~50$ so kinda makes me think you are overspending on something if you are going for an igpu build

Im getting a 7700x and 4070, but just gonna get a used rx 570 temporarily and then keep really, REALLY good care of it and sell it for the same price once i have enough for a 4070. I got a budget of $1200-1300 USD and im in North America

8 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

Im getting a 7700x and 4070, but just gonna get a used rx 570 temporarily and then keep really, REALLY good care of it and sell it for the same price once i have enough for a 4070

id look for places to cut costs on the build since an extra 50$ over the 580 gets you gpus like the 5700(xt) which outperform a gtx 1080 while a used 570/580 8gb is about the same performance as a 1060 6gb

mobo is a good place to start since the baseline for am5 is the b650m hdv which has vrms capable of handling an oced 7950x, ddr5 10000+ capability (currebtly holds am5 ddr5 wr at 10800 with an 8500g), and 14 total usb a ports with 6 rear and 8 internal and 6 of em are usb3, most ppl wont need much more than the b650m hdv so mobo is a good place to cut cost when the "entry" level b650m hdv is already complete overkill

you can also cut cost on the case even buying a used case, also a good area to cut cost since the case doesnt contribute to performance or specs

then theres also the psu incase you are overspending on some new rmx/e, just find the cheapest 750/850w gold with a 10 year warrantty

another common mistake is storage either overpriced samsung ssd or a crappy yet still overpriced ssd like the crucial p3, look for a cheap dram gen3 like the mushkin tempest, lexar nm620, etc.

14 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

id look for places to cut costs on the build since an extra 50$ over the 580 gets you gpus like the 5700(xt) which outperform a gtx 1080 while a used 570/580 8gb is about the same performance as a 1060 6gb

mobo is a good place to start since the baseline for am5 is the b650m hdv which has vrms capable of handling an oced 7950x, ddr5 10000+ capability (currebtly holds am5 ddr5 wr at 10800 with an 8500g), and 14 total usb a ports with 6 rear and 8 internal and 6 of em are usb3, most ppl wont need much more than the b650m hdv so mobo is a good place to cut cost when the "entry" level b650m hdv is already complete overkill

you can also cut cost on the case even buying a used case, also a good area to cut cost since the case doesnt contribute to performance or specs

then theres also the psu incase you are overspending on some new rmx/e, just find the cheapest 750/850w gold with a 10 year warrantty

another common mistake is storage either overpriced samsung ssd or a crappy yet still overpriced ssd like the crucial p3, look for a cheap dram gen3 like the mushkin tempest, lexar nm620, etc.

I don't think im overspending on my build bc im getting a microcenter bundle with the 7700x so that takes care of the motherboard, ram and cpu at the same time while saving money, and my case is only $70 and fits my astetic quite well, and im also getting an 850 watt 80 plus gold psu from Corsair for only $125. Thanks for the advice tho! I think ill get a used 5700xt and then sell it and buy a 4070 cuz i really want rt

Just now, Fat Cat11997 said:

850 watt 80 plus gold psu from Corsair for only $125

ah theres your issue

850w gf1 still has a 10 year warranty but 30$ less

good on the microcenter bundle cause thats an insane deal for a 7700x + b650 + 32gb 6000c32

as for ssd reccomendation 1tb theres the klevv cras c910 at 62$ and 2tb theres the mushkin tempest at 103$

cooler wise theres the frost tower at 32$ and the phantom spirit evo at 43$

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ah theres your issue

850w gf1 still has a 10 year warranty but 30$ less

good on the microcenter bundle cause thats an insane deal for a 7700x + b650 + 32gb 6000c32

as for ssd reccomendation 1tb theres the klevv cras c910 at 62$ and 2tb theres the mushkin tempest at 103$

cooler wise theres the frost tower at 32$ and the phantom spirit evo at 43$

ok, that's the frost tower is the same cooler i was gonna get and my ssd is the same price as well at 1tb too, but ill make sure to check out the psu u reccomended me. Other than that, do you think im good gettting a 7700x bundle and temporarily pairing it with either a used rx 580 or 5700x and then selling it later to buy a 4070?

2 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

ok, that's the frost tower is the same cooler i was gonna get and my ssd is the same price as well at 1tb too, but ill make sure to check out the psu u reccomended me. Other than that, do you think im good gettting a 7700x bundle and temporarily pairing it with either a used rx 580 or 5700x and then selling it later to buy a 4070?

good idea just that id stretch for a used 5700(xt) or atleast a used 1070 so youll have a better experience while saving up

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

good idea just that id stretch for a used 5700(xt) or atleast a used 1070 so youll have a better experience while saving up

Thanks!