Are you getting Deja vu? 14900KS releases and breaks the clock speed record at 9.1GHz

filpo
22 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you're doing "real work", wouldn't you be after a Xeon anyway? 

If it has trash cores, no. In this sense, AMD threadripper or epyc are the way to go. Or an Ampere Altra, which I'm working on now.
160 cores crunching my simulations super quickly. It is like, 40x faster than the stupid laptop my job provided me originally

1 hour ago, porina said:

Not sure what you're trying to say here. If it is there are 0 PCIe lanes between CPU and chipset, that is correct and normal. Intel use their own protocol connection. You still use chipset lanes like normal.

with how little pci lanes are left. some form of bifercation is going on for the m.2 slot and chipset.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

5 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

with how little pci lanes are left. some form of bifercation is going on for the m.2 slot and chipset.

Intel chipset connection doesn't use PCIe lanes at all. They use DMI 4.0 x8 which is equivalent to PCIe 4.0 x8, and 5.0 x4. So same bandwidth available between CPU and chipset as on AM5.

The user available CPU PCIe lanes is a small advantage to AM5, which has 16+4+4 supporting 5.0. The remaining 4 lanes go to the chipset so are not user accessible. Intel side has 16+4, with the 16 supporting 5.0 and the 4 supporting 4.0 only. Without impacting the x16 slot, if the AM5 mobo is wired to give such (they may use some lanes for other things instead), then you could have two 5.0 SSDs connected to the CPU, vs one 4.0 SSD on Intel. In practice, on Intel side you can slap extra SSDs off chipset connection for no real world impact outside of extremely niche scenarios. Platform lanes are about the same on both. If anything I'd have more concerns about bandwidth choking with the two chipset AM5 implementations.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

Intel chipset connection doesn't use PCIe lanes at all. They use DMI 4.0 x8 which is equivalent to PCIe 4.0 x8, and 5.0 x4. So same bandwidth available between CPU and chipset as on AM5.

The user available CPU PCIe lanes is a small advantage to AM5, which has 16+4+4 supporting 5.0. The remaining 4 lanes go to the chipset so are not user accessible. Intel side has 16+4, with the 16 supporting 5.0 and the 4 supporting 4.0 only. Without impacting the x16 slot, if the AM5 mobo is wired to give such (they may use some lanes for other things instead), then you could have two 5.0 SSDs connected to the CPU, vs one 4.0 SSD on Intel. In practice, on Intel side you can slap extra SSDs off chipset connection for no real world impact outside of extremely niche scenarios. Platform lanes are about the same on both. If anything I'd have more concerns about bandwidth choking with the two chipset AM5 implementations.

tbh why i brought it up. is wendell lvl1tech found recently.

mobo manf was bifurcating with out telling anyone.

idk if it wsa intel or amd .

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 3/15/2024 at 7:03 AM, starsmine said:

I swear 90% of the time I see this in relation to hardware, its not what is the driving factor outside of say, price. The engineering is. These companies do not generally sandbag when ahead unless forced to by some other factor.

Oh they can and do sandbag, it's about how. It's called product segmentation. You have Intel spending a lot of engineering resources on making their uarch slightly better and slighter faster which is not sandbagging however leaving the actual consumer product portfolio in a complete state of underdevelopment due to lack of competition while on their enterprise/datacenter product portfolio actually bringing to market significant product developments not just based on uarch improvements but actual full SoC/CPU development and progression.

Intel was never forced to do this, there was no logical business reason to over invest and over spend in consumer desktop products with no reason to do so, so they didn't.

There is very little demand for performance scaling in the consumer market, small gains is actually "enough" while enterprise/datacenter actually does demand and required generation over generation significant improvements to sustain and maintain that market growth and their requirements overwise datacenter operators would actually run out of rack space, floor space, building space, land area, power deliver etc. Not only do they actually require it, truly, but will also pay for it meaning Intel delivered on product developments to suit those customer demands and requirements.

There is a huge difference in product development between Intel consumer and enterprise/datacenter portfolios up until consumer market competition reappeared.

And if you think otherwise then Intel actually halving their price of entire product stacks in workstation and server literally as soon as AMD showed real market competition, on existing products!, is very damning evidence of this. You can't half the price if it's not still actually profitable which means the margin on it before was significantly higher specifically due to lack of competition not engineering costs etc.

How do you even cool 510W ?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

MAGIC!

and 600 dollars

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 7:31 AM, williamcll said:

intel stock cooler!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is just plain stupid. A pathetic attempt at shouting "we are still relevant, we are still the king, look at us"............. 🤣

On 3/16/2024 at 2:31 AM, williamcll said:

I think Intel is going to have to start increasing their ihs size or just the overall size of their chips. They are constantly at the the very edge of how much heat you can physically remove from a small area. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

36 minutes ago, BrandonTech.05 said:

I think Intel is going to have to start increasing their ihs size or just the overall size of their chips. They are constantly at the the very edge of how much heat you can physically remove from a small area. 

other then that being a misleading conclusion. Raptor lake is the last arch without tiles. 
Meteor lake and everything after (arrow lake) will be tile based. 

Hot damn this CPU uses a lot of power by itself. AMD being at the top of the charts for points per watt is not surprising in the least.

I for one am really hopeful that the chiplet design Intel is working on will finally bring that power usage back down. This is getting ridiculous.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 3/14/2024 at 10:09 AM, Forbidden Wafer said:

While it is cool (or actually, really hot), the E-Cores are complete garbage.

They're fine. They're reasonably performant and they don't really do any harm for most use cases while making MT use cases a fair deal more performant. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 3/28/2024 at 8:39 AM, starsmine said:

other then that being a misleading conclusion. Raptor lake is the last arch without tiles. 
Meteor lake and everything after (arrow lake) will be tile based. 

Stacked tiles are going to be the same problem though.  It's going to be even worse on the datacenter side where the cores are in middle layers of the stack.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

we got a 9.1 ghz processor before GTA 6, that's nice

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.