What's everyones go to video player? MPC or VLC and why

I personally like MPC and been using it for many years. It works perfectly fine and seems to have a lot more features than VLC does.

<-- Moved to Programs, Apps, and Website -->

Please ensure when creating new threads that you're selecting the most appropriate section. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

PLEX for watching movies PC to TV over home network.

PowerDVD if "I have" to watch something sourced from my PC over HDMI

VLC for looking at unimportant video files from work and such but never movies and shows.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Used to be MPC-HC, these days VLC because it’s easy. 

MPC is just as easy as VLC is. VLC has things that I don't like about. You can't click a video to pause. Also ALT+Enter does not make it full screen... Little things like this just bug me.

20 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

MPC is just as easy as VLC is. VLC has things that I don't like about. You can't click a video to pause. Also ALT+Enter does not make it full screen... Little things like this just bug me.

Except to get the most out of it you have to configure it, especially for HDR content. Can no longer be bothered with filters, splitters, etc.. VLC is install and done. 

7 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Except to get the most out of it you have to configure it, especially for HDR content. Can no longer be bothered with filters, splitters, etc.. VLC is install and done. 

I never had to do anything with filters... The content looks the same on both

I use neither of those, I use Potplayer because it works fine and GUI looks better by standard.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

12 hours ago, Mihle said:

I use neither of those, I use Plotplayer because it works fine and GUI looks better by standard.

Never heard of that one

7 hours ago, fade2black001 said:

Never heard of that one

I had a little typo, I ment Potplayer not Plotplayer.

All the ones mentioned probably does the job function vise just fine.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I typically use VLC since it is quick and easy. Locked down Windows installs in S mode can also use VLC since its in the Microsoft Store.