13900k with 420mm Arctic Liquid cooler II

hellomynameisleo

Is it normal to thermal throttle 100 degrees on my 13900k when its pulling 250-260w on this AIO? I thought it could take more than that at still be under 100 degrees with a 420mm AIO.

I have 2 13900k that I've tested and remounted the AIO multiple times with the same results, cinebench only reached 37k score where other people are getting 40k on this cpu.

The bios settings for the motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A are all stock and I left as default untouched with XMP enabled only, the AIO radiator is placed in front of the case with the tube positioned on top.

Yes, the issue is the Intel ILM causing issues with fully contacting the cooler plate due to how it's designed. It's not the issue of the cooler. You can buy contact frames like this one https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame to help with that.

The Liquid Freezer III actually comes with a mandatory contact frame for the LGA 1700 socket to fix this issue.

image.thumb.png.33f976a314bcc051bf72bc3f6d530877.png

image.thumb.png.53805de2cf0db31b921892075d26abe2.png

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Yes, the issue is the Intel ILM causing issues with fully contacting the cooler plate due to how it's designed. It's not the issue of the cooler. You can buy contact frames like this one https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame to help with that.

The Liquid Freezer III actually comes with a mandatory contact frame for the LGA 1700 socket to fix this issue.

image.thumb.png.33f976a314bcc051bf72bc3f6d530877.png

image.thumb.png.53805de2cf0db31b921892075d26abe2.png

I am already using the themal contact frame as well it helped the temps a bit but not what I would expect from a 420mm AIO to struggle with

17 hours ago, hellomynameisleo said:

Is it normal to thermal throttle 100 degrees on my 13900k when its pulling 250-260w on this AIO?

no. its not mounted correctly 

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

no. its not mounted correctly 

I agree. I was using a different AIO, but I had to alter the orientation of my block yesterday so I could have my tubes go to the bottom of my rad. It took me 3 hours and multiple remountings to get it to cool my lazy CPU correctly. I even ended up switching TIM.

Ironically, I'm not sure what fixed it. That LF2 should be doing better even if it is an i9, although it's not going to tame it without undervolting.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

4 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I agree. I was using a different AIO, but I had to alter the orientation of my block yesterday so I could have my tubes go to the bottom of my rad. It took me 3 hours and multiple remountings to get it to cool my lazy CPU correctly. I even ended up switching TIM.

Ironically, I'm not sure what fixed it. That LF2 should be doing better even if it is an i9, although it's not going to tame it without undervolting.

The pump is still lower than the tubes when mounting the tube positioned on top, I believe gamers nexus did a video about it and should be without issues. I've remounted it multiple times and basically cannot get it wrong with plopping the aio on the cpu and 4 screws.

27 minutes ago, NorKris said:

picture of system plz

Here is the picture the case is fractal r7 XL

image.thumb.jpeg.dd85eb22182f7ec90e8194155cc693cd.jpeg

11 minutes ago, hellomynameisleo said:

Here is the picture the case is fractal r7 XL

soo.. air is .. 

image.png.b8a3ec5f13f29c788de558fcfaef317e.png

blocked up?

2 hours ago, hellomynameisleo said:

The pump is still lower than the tubes when mounting the tube positioned on top, I believe gamers nexus did a video about it and should be without issues. I've remounted it multiple times and basically cannot get it wrong with plopping the aio on the cpu and 4 screws.

I'm not referring to the tube positioning on the rad regarding your problem. I'm referring to an error in remounting the CPU. Believe me when I say that you aren't the first person to experience such a problem, nor am I, nor is @filpo. It happens to a lot of people.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

17 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I'm not referring to the tube positioning on the rad regarding your problem. I'm referring to an error in remounting the the CPU. Believe me when I say that you aren't the first person to experience such a problem, nor am I, nor is @filpo. It happens to a lot of people.

but this is more like jordan said to chris brown

YARN | # Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air # | Glee (2009) -  S01E07 Drama | Video gifs by quotes | 2d0366e2 | 紗

13 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I'm not referring to the tube positioning on the rad regarding your problem. I'm referring to an error in remounting the CPU. Believe me when I say that you aren't the first person to experience such a problem, nor am I, nor is @filpo. It happens to a lot of people.

@NorKris @hellomynameisleo

Yesterday, I moved my radiator from the side to the front and just that shift in pressure caused mounting issues with temps being easy higher than they should. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

@NorKris @hellomynameisleo

Yesterday, I moved my radiator from the side to the front and just that shift in pressure caused mounting issues with temps being easy higher than they should. Sigh. 

intake vs intake? 

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

intake vs intake? 

The whole shebang. In this specific case, it went from being normal to abnormal after I had to rotate the block. I fixed it but when I moved the rad it went haywire again. 

On 3/9/2024 at 12:29 PM, hellomynameisleo said:

I am already using the themal contact frame as well it helped the temps a bit but not what I would expect from a 420mm AIO to struggle with

How long did you have your CPU before you added the BCF?

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The whole shebang. In this specific case, it went from being normal to abnormal after I had to rotate the block. I fixed it but when I moved the rad it went haywire again. 

what case? 🙂

26 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

How long did you have your CPU before you added the BCF?

I have a new 13900k that had the contact frame from the start. Is it possible that this AIO is defective? I've remounted it a few times with the same results, its hard to go wrong with mounting a AIO compared to an air cooler.

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

what case? 🙂

I was referring figuratively to my testing, but the case is the Corsair 5000x. And, yes, my profile is a bit outdated.

1 hour ago, hellomynameisleo said:

I have a new 13900k that had the contact frame from the start. Is it possible that this AIO is defective? I've remounted it a few times with the same results, its hard to go wrong with mounting a AIO compared to an air cooler.

Try undervolting the CPU. If that doesn't help, contact Arctic.

5 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I was referring figuratively to my testing, but the case is the Corsair 5000x. And, yes, my profile is a bit outdated.

5000x right. then its the same, i like it 😄