NEW Malwarebytes sucks! Is there a way to make Windows Defender my main AV again?

Go to solution Solved by porina,
1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

also sadly doesn't answer my question. 

Dunno if you saw my edit, it seemed to allow to decline additional features and essentially run in manual mode. I don't know if you can reconfigure an install as I selected options to do it on install I think. Based on that experience I'm not going to try it again myself.

Ive always used Malwarebytes to just scan some files and programs,  for everything else i used Defender... never had any issues.  But now my old Malwarebytes install just killed itself (literally it outright killed itself,  turned automatic updates on - which were *always* disabled and stopped working completely after that... no repair options,  nothing) 

So now the "NEW" Malware "registered" itself with Windows defender and also apparently overtook any web security,  Defender isn't even an option. 

Now im wondering, what happens if i de-register it in Defender,  will that make Defender my main AV again? 

Also what happens if the "premium trial" expires,  will Malwarebytes still be my web "protection"? I sincerely hope not.

Tldr, is there still a way to have Defender the main AV , and use Malwarebytes only at demand?  I kinda hate that it's running nonstop in the background now too... Defender has always been perfect,  i don't even trust Malwarebytes tbh, it thinks it needs to block "PUPs" which is about 90% of websites apparently 💀🚮🤷‍♀️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i don't even trust Malwarebytes tbh

Why are you even using it then? Uninstall it and Defender should pick up again by itself.

I did try it recently myself. It is very different from the old days. I chose to decline all "extra" services and trial stuff then it was more like the old versions.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Why are you even using it then? Uninstall it and Defender should pick up again by itself.

because it was great for second opinion when defender said something is a pup i fact checked with mwb and it typically said it isnt a "pup" (just an example but pups is literally the only thing either defender or mwb picked up ever...)

also context is a thing, i don't trust it with "web protection" *at all* that's why i want Defender back doing that as my main AV.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Dunno if you saw my edit, it seemed to allow to decline additional features and essentially run in manual mode. I don't know if you can reconfigure an install as I selected options to do it on install I think. Based on that experience I'm not going to try it again myself.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

As great as MBAV is, you have two choices: either you roll with MB of Defender real time, basically. For singular runs, I mean.

You can keep MB for scans and Defender real time, but it is what it is.

I prefer MB, Defender isn't too bad either...

5 minutes ago, porina said:

nah, i didn't see the edit.

i see... i did decline the "web guard stuff" didn't see an option for anything else, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there necessarily....

yes, thats exactly what i want, no PREMIUM stuff whatsoever,  this shit is worse than McAfee!  lol...

So id need to reinstall Malwarebytes again, huh?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

As great as MBAV is, you have two choices: either you roll with MB of Defender real time, basically. For singular runs, I mean.

You can keep MB for scans and Defender real time, but it is what it is.

I prefer MB, Defender isn't too bad either...

the problem is  HOW DO I DO THAT? currently there doesn't seem to be an option to turn Defender real time protection on, not sure if de-registering Malwarebytes would fix that? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You'll have to literally kick one of them out of the equitation... simple as that. The choice is yours, MB or Defender, or one real time, other scanner.

uninstall malwarebytes. if you dont trust it to do what it needs to do, it has no business using up CPU cycles on your system.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

uninstall malwarebytes. if you dont trust it to do what it needs to do, it has no business using up CPU cycles on your system.

well apparently theres a way to have Defender do the real time stuff.

That's the problem i don't trust mwb with real time protection,  and especially web protection... its already proven to not be reliable with that in the first two seconds... mod site i use since ages is a "PUP" wtf lol...

so i need to reinstall/ or try the de-register stuff, i get it, but sure is a huge PITA ...

btw: putting stuff as "exception" is a huge security risk, because just because 99% is harmless doesn't mean there couldn't be occasional threats, which would be ignored if you set an "exception"  (had once one of my own mods flagged as "virus" by defender, that was funny...)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

If your website is included in the PUP list, you'll have to go figure that out down MB's forums.

You're paying for a service and this service includes the web site forums...

There are some geniuses out there on that site. More so, all you have to do to make your site non-PUP is to add an exclusion. I mean, come on, how is this serious?

So...

-You turned an anti-malware's updates off. WHAT.

-You hate MB and are having problems with it but are still trying to find a way to not remove it from your computer

At this stage, MB is a hangover, same as the people who kept on endlessly spouting that CCleaner was to be regularly run, a decade after it was relevant.

Let go.

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

If your website is included in the PUP list, you'll have to go figure that out down MB's forums.

You're paying for a service and this service includes the web site forums...

There are some geniuses out there on that site. More so, all you have to do to make your site non-PUP is to add an exclusion. I mean, come on, how is this serious?

can you stay on topic? im asking how to use mwb **without** the real time stuff and make Defender the main AV again. you aren't helping at all...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, whispous said:

So...

-You turned an anti-malware's updates off. WHAT.

-You hate MB and are having problems with it but are still trying to find a way to not remove it from your computer

At this stage, MB is a hangover, same as the people who kept on endlessly spouting that CCleaner was to be regularly run, a decade after it was relevant.

Let go.

just FYI, there are two different types of "updates" one is for the app itself,  the other is for definitions.... guess which one i had turned off? 🙂

i agree, mwb seems awful now (hence the topic!) but i still think there's a way to use it on demand instead of real time protection  - that's also why i asked what happens if the trial runs out....

no one can answer this ? kinda... interesting... and odd... 

edit: tbf @porina did answer, and apparently it is still possible 

I'll definitely try those options.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

just FYI, there are two different types of "updates" one is for the app itself,  the other is for definitions.... guess which one i had turned off? 🙂

i agree, mwb seems awful now (hence the topic!) but i still think there's a way to use it on demand instead of real time protection  - that's also why i asked what happens if the trial runs out....

no one can answer this ? kinda... interesting... and odd... 

Ball. Yes, an oddball. Kind of like a placebo if you wish to dial more into it...

Malwarebytes is fine. Keep it on, duh.

48 minutes ago, porina said:

while that only indirectly helped me, it still did as that was crucial information to know its still possible...

all i had to do was indeed deregister mwb in defender... its crazy it does that without even asking... would be another thing if the web protection didn't suck so much but it is what it is indeed. 

found this which immediately confirmed that...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-and-malwarebytes/2f649ff1-9d93-48c7-97ab-680c114c3e62

(note the marked answer isnt actually the answer,  its the answer above lol)

here's the context menu with both options,  Defender was previously missing (as it was turned off by McAfee Malwarebytes! )

20240309_112033.thumb.jpg.089420f4732749aa4ae36cf098528aef.jpg

Back in business! 😎 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux