What settings do I need for my reciever?

Go to solution Solved by Omon_Ra,

First, those are some pretty cool looking speakers. What are they? Second, can you take a pic of the back of the receiver and how the speakers are wired? Did you tone out the speaker wires that come from the wall to make sure they each go to the correct speaker location (front left, rear left, etc)?

Since you're at least getting sound to the receiver, you shouldn't really need to mess with any settings on the TV. Depending on what I'm listening to dictates what mode I use on my receiver. 99% of the time it's in Dolby Digital mode. Even if the content is not proper 5.1 surround encoded (YouTube, Twitch, etc), it's fine for me. When I'm listening to music, I'll switch it to 5 (or 7) Channel Stereo mode. It's basically normal stereo, but the left/right signal is duplicated to the rears. If you want to hear dialog out of all speakers for things like sports games, general 'talking head' videos, or you just prefer it that way, 5/7 channel stereo is what you'll want. Pretty much ignore any other modes. 2 Channel stereo sometimes is preferred by some for 'critical audio listening' but meh...personal preference.

There are some speaker settings that are usually in the receiver menus that allow you to configure speaker assignments, turn on/off unused channels, and other things like that. You might need to run 3 RCA cables from receiver to your TV (using the component R/G/B RCA jacks) to view the receiver menu if you can't adjust everything from the OSD.

I've got a denon AVR-1905 receiver, a tannoy ts2.8 sub and a Samsung QE55Q80CAT TV and the wires are all correct and it's a optical cable going from the TV to the receiver but I have not a clue what settings I need based on my setup? The voices are coming out of the side rear speakers but then when I do something like dobly cinema it comes out the front but for some reason it sounded awful so I'm at a loss for what settings I need for my setup.

PXL_20240308_231736685.jpg

PXL_20240308_231730151.jpg

PXL_20240308_231720114.MP.jpg

PXL_20240308_231742423.jpg

PXL_20240308_231727027.jpg

First, those are some pretty cool looking speakers. What are they? Second, can you take a pic of the back of the receiver and how the speakers are wired? Did you tone out the speaker wires that come from the wall to make sure they each go to the correct speaker location (front left, rear left, etc)?

Since you're at least getting sound to the receiver, you shouldn't really need to mess with any settings on the TV. Depending on what I'm listening to dictates what mode I use on my receiver. 99% of the time it's in Dolby Digital mode. Even if the content is not proper 5.1 surround encoded (YouTube, Twitch, etc), it's fine for me. When I'm listening to music, I'll switch it to 5 (or 7) Channel Stereo mode. It's basically normal stereo, but the left/right signal is duplicated to the rears. If you want to hear dialog out of all speakers for things like sports games, general 'talking head' videos, or you just prefer it that way, 5/7 channel stereo is what you'll want. Pretty much ignore any other modes. 2 Channel stereo sometimes is preferred by some for 'critical audio listening' but meh...personal preference.

There are some speaker settings that are usually in the receiver menus that allow you to configure speaker assignments, turn on/off unused channels, and other things like that. You might need to run 3 RCA cables from receiver to your TV (using the component R/G/B RCA jacks) to view the receiver menu if you can't adjust everything from the OSD.

8 hours ago, IR76 said:

I've got a denon AVR-1905 receiver, a tannoy ts2.8 sub and a Samsung QE55Q80CAT TV and the wires are all correct and it's a optical cable going from the TV to the receiver but I have not a clue what settings I need based on my setup? The voices are coming out of the side rear speakers but then when I do something like dobly cinema it comes out the front but for some reason it sounded awful so I'm at a loss for what settings I need for my setup.

Optical cable? Why are you not using hdmi? Optical will at best do compressed 5.1.

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Optical cable? Why are you not using hdmi? Optical will at best do compressed 5.1.

The receiver does not support HDMi 

6 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

Dont know what the speakers are and we wired the reciever and made sure everything was correct including the polarity and when I did the test tone I got sound of out of all them except for one and I'm not sure why.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:25 AM, IR76 said:

Dont know what the speakers are and we wired the reciever and made sure everything was correct including the polarity and when I did the test tone I got sound of out of all them except for one and I'm not sure why.

Which one did not work? And they all toned out to the correct positions?