Refurb Macbook that is stuck on remote management on setup

Go to solution Solved by OhYou_,

you have to return it, it wasnt correctly removed from whatever previous company had it in MDM

Saw the Mac Address video on refurbished macs and decided I'd give it a go. I found a good deal on a refurb base model M2 macbook air and decided I'd give macOS a try for the first time, unfortunately when I go to set the macbook up and connect to wifi it says that it is remote managed by "unknown" and the "cloud configuration server is unavailable" and doesn't allow me to proceed. Is there a way to bypass this remote management setup safely or should I just try to do a return? Its running macOS Sonoma.

Armi does not discriminate he hates everyone equally.

13 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

you have to return it, it wasnt correctly removed from whatever previous company had it in MDM

Will do, thanks.

Armi does not discriminate he hates everyone equally.

1 minute ago, Armieramortalis said:

Will do, thanks.

in rare cases the seller may be able to get it removed, but that hasnt ever been the case for me, I buy a lot of refurb iphones and occasionally get ones still on a mdm. Half the time I have to get amazon involved because the seller has no idea what it is.

what is the worst is when you get an apple device that they did not remove from ADE but did remove from their mdm.
so naturally when you turn it on and use it, it will look normal, it will also show up on their mdm as a new device.
Where someone will either not pay attention and provision it, or worse, block it. Meaning if you now ever reset the laptop, it is locked gg.

I'm not sure how to even check for that without trying to add it to your own ADE.