Want to clean up my setup, need advice for compact speakers (not an audiophile)

Shoopman

Trying to downsize my desk and I'd like to find a new audio solution. I currently have the Bose Companion 2 which I'm happy with, but they're too tall so I have them laying on their side under my monitor. I'd like to find something comparable that is more compact. Before someone asks, I'm not willing to put them on either side of my monitor. I have 2 screens, one of which is vertically aligned and off center, it would just be funky. I've got just a hair over 6 inches of space under my primary monitor.

Should I just get a soundbar? I'm not an audio guy to begin with and I especially know nothing about soundbars. They do have the benefit of being very compact and minimal on cables which is a big plus to me. Not one with a big subwoofer though, has to be standalone.

The other option is a super compact desktop speaker set like something from the Creative Pebble series. That's just one I found with 20 seconds of googling, happy to hear other suggestions.

My budget is ~€200. Product has to be available in Europe.

1 hour ago, da na said:

If you're just using computer speakers, Creative Pebble is quite good in that regard. Very small but still solid sound

Just adding on to this, don't get the "subwoofer" or any other bundle creative offers, the Pebble's are more than good enough on their own

4 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

Just adding on to this, don't get the "subwoofer" or any other bundle creative offers, the Pebble's are more than good enough on their own

Thank you for the addition; I second this. Most computer speaker "subwoofers" are 6" midbass woofers in tiny cabinets that don't get much lower than the little speakers themselves (with a few exceptions).

I wouldn't buy anything made by Creative Labs.

See if the Audioengine A2+ is available in your region. They have used models here which are in amazing condition for around $150 USD on sale. I would not purchase these in new condition.

7 hours ago, Cocococo said:

Good call, I was tempted a bit but even my Bose have a fine amount of bass.

7 hours ago, johnt said:

I wouldn't buy anything made by Creative Labs.

See if the Audioengine A2+ is available in your region. They have used models here which are in amazing condition for around $150 USD on sale. I would not purchase these in new condition.

Why not?