How do games remember save files after deletion?

BattleToads
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
4 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

So many times I have completely deleted a game from my machine to download the updated version and beheld that my old save file is still there. This is obviously very convenient, but how does this happen? Do games store the save files within windows somewhere? If so, where? Do I have a bunch of save files hiding away in my system somewhere? 

Yes that's it

Since a few years saves aren't in same folders than games anymore, and are often in some subdir of WIndows/Users/(you) ...

And saves don't get deleted when game is uninstalled, and you have them getting dust 🙂

So many times I have completely deleted a game from my machine to download the updated version and beheld that my old save file is still there. This is obviously very convenient, but how does this happen? Do games store the save files within windows somewhere? If so, where? Do I have a bunch of save files hiding away in my system somewhere? 

5 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

Many games use cloud save so its stored online somewhere,  So when you download the game and want to play it again the save file / Your progress will be there.

4 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

Yes that's it

Since a few years saves aren't in same folders than games anymore, and are often in some subdir of WIndows/Users/(you) ...

And saves don't get deleted when game is uninstalled, and you have them getting dust 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Save files are often stored separately from the game files. The folder they're stored in will depend on the game but many games will use the my documents folder or the appdata folder. 

There's also cloud backups for save files like what Steam does for games. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

Do I have a bunch of save files hiding away in my system somewhere? 

Yes. It would be nice if they stopped storing them in hidden folders! What was wrong with My documents?

24 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Yes. It would be nice if they stopped storing them in hidden folders! What was wrong with My documents?

People would delete them while clearoung out old documents. Now they tend to be in appdata which is easily accessed by just putting %appdata% in the explorer address bar

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

15 minutes ago, OddOod said:

People would delete them while clearoung out old documents. Now they tend to be in appdata which is easily accessed by just putting %appdata% in the explorer address bar

Is there any way to pin that to quick address in file explorer?  Can't seem to bookmark that address I use it so often.

5 hours ago, OddOod said:

Yeah but it's super messy, all games use different locations and none tells which one it uses

I can't understand why there's no standard for that 😞 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

16 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah but it's super messy, all games use different locations and none tells which one it uses

I can't understand why there's no standard for that 😞 

Yep, I hate it. and then often the folders aren't even named after the game, but rather after the company, etc... very annoying. I hate that I have to google where they're stored basically every time when necessary.

Edit: To clarify, I love that they're stored separate and persist through an uninstall. I just want them in a more consistent, simple place.

11 hours ago, Tetras said:

Just wait until you download a game from the Microsoft store and the game is installed in a folder you don't have access to and it shows the folder size as 0kb even though there's a 100GB game installed there. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Just wait until you download a game from the Microsoft store and the game is installed in a folder you don't have access to and it shows the folder size as 0kb even though there's a 100GB game installed there. 

Oh god no please no and thank god windows is bleeding more Linux users on the way.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖